Help finiding 3DS Max file format

Post by Henry W. Mengol » Mon, 30 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

I need to find the file format for 3D Studio Max.  I want to come by it through offical channels.
Does anyone know the person to talk to at Kinetx, or what document to order, or where to find the format
in the MAX SDK?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Henry

Post by David Salah » Tue, 08 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I need to find the file format for 3D Studio Max.  I want to come by it through offical channels.
> Does anyone know the person to talk to at Kinetx, or what document to order, or where to find the format
> in the MAX SDK?

You need to sign up for Autodesk's Developer Network. There is an annual
fee for which you get free software, SDKs and support. You can reach

David Salahi

Help finiding 3DS Max file format

Post by Alex » Wed, 09 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Sorry ,i cant help you ,but I have the same problem,only it occures when
i use complex ipas process and generally accesing the memory and disk a
lot.....

I cant fix it ,so if you find a way to get rid of this please tell me ,
i would really appreitiate.

Thanks A lot!

Yours sincerly ,
Alex

Post by John Fous » Wed, 09 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> > Hello,

> > I need to find the file format for 3D Studio Max.  I want to come by it through offical channels.
> > Does anyone know the person to talk to at Kinetx, or what document to order, or where to find the format
> > in the MAX SDK?

> You need to sign up for Autodesk's Developer Network. There is an annual
> fee for which you get free software, SDKs and support. You can reach

Good luck.  I doubt that the Max file format will ever be documented.
After all, the "file format" isn't a file format per se - it's just
the persistent settings of all the zillions of plug-ins that
make up 3DS Max, including those from Autodesk, those from
third-parties,
those from the freeware domain.  Each and every one of those plug-in
makers would need to document their piece of the file format.
Then you'd need to write code to recreate the data based on
whatever each plug-in saved - so when the cylinder primitive
saves the radius, height, and end-cap state, you'd need to
recreate the exact same sort of shape that Max makes.  That's
not easy.

- John

Post by Mark Mauerma » Fri, 18 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> > Hello,

> > I need to find the file format for 3D Studio Max.  I want to come by it through offical channels.
> > Does anyone know the person to talk to at Kinetx, or what document to order, or where to find the format
> > in the MAX SDK?

> You need to sign up for Autodesk's Developer Network. There is an annual
> fee for which you get free software, SDKs and support. You can reach

> David Salahi

The MAX file format has been released...not even to developers!
--
Mark Mauerman
Digimation, Inc