MMX and MAX 2.0, MMX and MAX 1.2, D3D and MAX 2.0

Post by Kristian H?g » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> I have a couple of quick questions and would appreciate it if anyone
> would be kind enough to answer them.

> First, does MAX 1.2 function on a Pentium MMX processor (not PII)?  If
> so, does it suffer a great drop in speed? (As I understand it, and I may
> be wrong, a regular Pentium chip utilizes Floating Point math while an
> MMX excludes FP and uses Integer instead).

> Second, does MAX 2.0 support MMX?

> Third, is there any performance boost in MAX 2.0's support for D3D?

> Thank you,

> Robert

- Both runs fine here... but 2.0 eats a huge amount of memory and user
resources...
  There is no super-big boost with using an mmx on it... ;)

--
--=[ Regards Kristian "Pluto" Hagg ]=--

    WWW: http://plutos.base.org
    alt: http://130.244.126.91/~w-15926/pluto/
   Fido: 2:204/152.7 <Kristian Hagg>
ICQ UIN: 890376
---=( More Avaible Mail for info )=---

MMX and MAX 2.0, MMX and MAX 1.2, D3D and MAX 2.0

Post by Arthur Takemiy » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Max1.2 does function with an MMX processor and does not suffer any
performance loss because it does not use any of the MMX extensions.  The
MMX extensions use some of the registers normally used for floating point
operations, and there is a time penalty hit (about 50 clock cycles) when
switching between MMX mode and normal mode.

MaxR2 does not support MMX.

I tried to enable Direct3D with MaxR2 and could not (error: "could not
create z-buffer") with two different cards - the new Diamond Viper 330
Turbo, and a Rendition Intense 3D 100.  Both cards have only 4M of memory,
so I attributed the problem to that.  Need to find out, if indeed that is
the problem, since most boards on this level only have 4M of ram.

Quote:> I have a couple of quick questions and would appreciate it if anyone
> would be kind enough to answer them.

> First, does MAX 1.2 function on a Pentium MMX processor (not PII)?  If
> so, does it suffer a great drop in speed? (As I understand it, and I may
> be wrong, a regular Pentium chip utilizes Floating Point math while an
> MMX excludes FP and uses Integer instead).

> Second, does MAX 2.0 support MMX?

> Third, is there any performance boost in MAX 2.0's support for D3D?

> Thank you,

> Robert

MMX and MAX 2.0, MMX and MAX 1.2, D3D and MAX 2.0

Post by David Adam » Sun, 23 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> First, does MAX 1.2 function on a Pentium MMX processor (not PII)?  If
> so, does it suffer a great drop in speed? (As I understand it, and I may
> be wrong, a regular Pentium chip utilizes Floating Point math while an
> MMX excludes FP and uses Integer instead).

No...MMX has great FPU performance. It is no different (if not better)
than a regular Pentium of same clock speed). It will be faster than a
classic pentium due to more onboard cache. However, the actual MMX
instructions do not accelerate MAX 1.2 (dunno bout' MAX 2.0).  So, in
conclusion it will run  faster with MMX.

Quote:

> Second, does MAX 2.0 support MMX?

not sure

Quote:

> Third, is there any performance boost in MAX 2.0's support for D3D?

Yes.

1. Is MAX 2.0 much different from MAX 1.2?

You should read the list of changes on the Kinetix site.
http://www.ktx.com/3dsmaxr2/html/new_features.html
If you consider about 600 improvements and about 400 new features "a few
extra"..., then it is pretty much the same :o)
All consoles and pannels are where they used to be, there is a little
change in the toolbar and the "snap icon area". YOu use it the same way,
but you have much much more to use.
Track View is much better, so is Medit...

You are going to love it.
--
3DJ Bobo
Your 3D Studio & MAX Information Source:

2. 3D-Studio -- HELP

3. TRADE:MAX 2.0 Text.Lab&Splash->Max 2.0 Tree Factory

4. Bones Tutorial

5. 3D Studio MAX 1.2 3 D Studio MAX 1.2 3D Studio MAX 1.2 3D Studio MAX 1.2

6. QUARK EXPERT PLEASE HELP!

7. convert 2.0 .max to 1.2

8. VRML 2.0 importer for MAX 1.2

9. Max 1.2 vs 2.0 compatibilty

10. Trees in MAX 1.2/2.0?

11. What's the Difference between max 1.2 and 2.0

12. max 1.2 to 2.0 upgrade cost?