Need Help Animating Spline in 2.5

Post by Dennis Cleveng » Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I have a spline that is supposed to be cable with a plug on the end.  I want to
animate the "plugging in" process.  The plug itself is linked to a dummy, which
I assume, the spline should also be linked to.  BTW, I'm using a renderable
spline, not a loft.

I put an XForm on each of the vertices in the spline and thought maybe I could
link those together, but no luck with that.  I think I may need IK to
accomplish this, but there is still the linking solution that is missing.  I
have moved other wires on this project by manipulating individual verts, but
thats a real pain in the ass!

Anyone with any suggestions?  I may have another project coming up that
involves hoses, so this would be beneficial for that too.

TIA,

Dennis

--
Animation  *  Graphics  *  Video
Dennis Clevenger Graphics  *  Vancouver, WA. USA

Need Help Animating Spline in 2.5

Post by Timo Kinnun » Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a spline that is supposed to be cable with a plug on the end.  I
>want to animate the "plugging in" process.  The plug itself is linked to
>a dummy, which I assume, the spline should also be linked to.  BTW, I'm
>using a renderable spline, not a loft.

>I put an XForm on each of the vertices in the spline and thought maybe I
>could link those together, but no luck with that.  I think I may need IK
>to accomplish this, but there is still the linking solution that is
>missing.  I have moved other wires on this project by manipulating
>individual verts, but thats a real pain in the ass!

>Anyone with any suggestions?  I may have another project coming up that
>involves hoses, so this would be beneficial for that too.

This should work:
For each vertex you want to link to something, create a SplineSelect with that
vertex select, followed with a Linked XForm and link it thru Pick Control
Object -button.

--
Remove nospam to reply by e-mail.

Need Help Animating Spline in 2.5

Post by Chri » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

You can try this:

Create dumies for each vertice in your wire.
Select the wire and add a spline select modifier.
Select the first vertice.
Add a linked x-form modifier, pick it's controller dummy.
Repeat for all the vertices.
Now you can link the dummies together in a chain and use IK on them, with
the end effector linked to you plug, and possibly the root linked to
whatever appliance you have the cable coming out of.

A far more elegant solution is to create a bone structure and use physique
or the new skin tool to do the deformation, but if you're just base 2.5 this
probably is the way to go.

cheers,
--

Christopher Subagio
- The Illusionary

http://www.callnetuk.com/home/csubagio

> I have a spline that is supposed to be cable with a plug on the end.  I
want to
> animate the "plugging in" process.  The plug itself is linked to a dummy,
which
> I assume, the spline should also be linked to.  BTW, I'm using a
renderable
> spline, not a loft.

> I put an XForm on each of the vertices in the spline and thought maybe I
could
> link those together, but no luck with that.  I think I may need IK to
> accomplish this, but there is still the linking solution that is missing.
> have moved other wires on this project by manipulating individual verts,
but
> thats a real pain in the ass!

> Anyone with any suggestions?  I may have another project coming up that
> involves hoses, so this would be beneficial for that too.

> TIA,

> Dennis

> --
> Animation  *  Graphics  *  Video
> Dennis Clevenger Graphics  *  Vancouver, WA. USA

Need Help Animating Spline in 2.5

Post by Dennis Cleveng » Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>You can try this:

>Create dumies for each vertice in your wire.
>Select the wire and add a spline select modifier.
>Select the first vertice.
>Add a linked x-form modifier, pick it's controller dummy.
>Repeat for all the vertices.
>Now you can link the dummies together in a chain and use IK on them, with
>the end effector linked to you plug, and possibly the root linked to
>whatever appliance you have the cable coming out of.

>A far more elegant solution is to create a bone structure and use physique
>or the new skin tool to do the deformation, but if you're just base 2.5 this
>probably is the way to go.

Thanks Chris, after some trial and error I did finally figure it out and it was
almost word for word of your description.  Just installed version 3 today, so
may also give a look to the skin tool.

Thanks again,

Dennis

--
Animation  *  Graphics  *  Video
Dennis Clevenger Graphics  *  Vancouver, WA. USA

1. Sphere and Seperate colors, Help Needed in Max 2.5

Hi all,

I have a Blimp in the shape of a sphere, and parts of it are divided up into
seperate colors.  The only other way I could think to make the colored
shapes, is to Clone the blimp, and Boolean it into the shapes needed, but
that's not as acurate as I need it to be.

I was told there's a way to get different colors on one object, and this
would help this particular model alot.  Any ideas how I would do this?

Thanks

2. New with OPENGL

3. Connecting Splines with 3D Studio Max 2.5

4. Materials Editor Question

5. convert splines from 3D Studio Max 2.5 to Corel′s .cdr

6. 3DS MAX 2.5 movement Lockup - Need Help

7. Help Needed suspected bug on 3DSMAX 2.5

8. I Need Help with 3D Studio Max 2.5 Plug-ins

9. maya 2.5 complete... need help

10. Realy need help...Maya 2.5