3dsmax vs. Lightwave vs. Softimage??

Post by JRW » Thu, 09 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Could anyone tell me what the specific advantages are of each of these
packages as well as the system requirements for each?

Thanks in advance
James

3dsmax vs. Lightwave vs. Softimage??

Post by Kekesi Danie » Thu, 09 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Could anyone tell me what the specific advantages are of each of these
> packages as well as the system requirements for each?

> Thanks in advance
> James

I own 3ds max and softimage and I used to work a little with lightwave.
With 3ds max you get an easy-to-use desktop and the basic functions with some
not too good quality effects. You can work quitewell with it on a P166 with
32Megs of RAM or more. You can (and should) get a lot of plug-ins and with
them you can reach photorealistic image quality.
Softimage is 'somewhat' more professional, but you'll need a lot more time to
learn. The basic package includes a lot of things integrated into the main
program that 3ds max can do only with plugins. IMHO it is the most
advanced animations and modeling package for PC.
For lightwave I dont' have much to say. It is diffiult to master and gives you
worse image quality and interface than the other two.

Dan

3dsmax vs. Lightwave vs. Softimage??

Post by David Ree » Thu, 09 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Worse image quality? You obviously know nothing about Lightwave, as it's
known primarily for it's SUPERB ray-tracer.  Look at the opening sequence
of Babylon5 to see what LW's standard raytracer can do. Having said that,
if you can afford it, look at Max2 -it's a killer, even compared to Max1.2,
which is already hot.

3dsmax vs. Lightwave vs. Softimage??

Post by JRW » Thu, 09 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> Worse image quality? You obviously know nothing about Lightwave, as it's
> known primarily for it's SUPERB ray-tracer.  Look at the opening sequence
> of Babylon5 to see what LW's standard raytracer can do. Having said that,
> if you can afford it, look at Max2 -it's a killer, even compared to
Max1.2,
> which is already hot.

Thanks, I have seen various results from all of the above but what I really
want to know is what platforms and system requirements they need.

--- J ---

3dsmax vs. Lightwave vs. Softimage??

Post by GG » Thu, 09 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I am also considering 3DSM and Lightwave. My question is on overall speed.
Which one renders faster? I know it depends on things like raytracing,
etc., but comparing a similar scene that is loaded, which ones works
faster? I have a dual Pent II/266 (overclocked to dual 300) with 128 mb EDO
ram.
Thanx...Gary

> > Worse image quality? You obviously know nothing about Lightwave, as
it's
> > known primarily for it's SUPERB ray-tracer.  Look at the opening
sequence
> > of Babylon5 to see what LW's standard raytracer can do. Having said
that,
> > if you can afford it, look at Max2 -it's a killer, even compared to
> Max1.2,
> > which is already hot.

> Thanks, I have seen various results from all of the above but what I
really
> want to know is what platforms and system requirements they need.

> --- J ---

3dsmax vs. Lightwave vs. Softimage??

Post by Kyle Maxwe » Thu, 09 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Just chucking in my 0.2:  Like the rest of you, I checked out
Softimage and Lightwave.  Actually, since I had no platform bias, I
checked out Raydream, Infini-d, Strata StupidPro, etc. before I
bought.

Me, I like MAX.  =)

Now, Softimage renders faster, but then, it requires beefier hardware.
Plus, I absolutely cannot STAND their interface.  It looks like it was
designed by engineers.  3d is about art to me, not about deciphering
quadratic equations.  =)

Lightwave:  Despite the hype, they just aren't all that impressive.
Once again, for a company devoted to making GRAPHIC software, their
interface is horrid.  Somebody needs to drag them kicking and
screaming into the nineties, before the decade is over.

As for the Mac solutions... *smirk*  There isn't one Mac 3d program
that I'd wish on my worst enemy.  They're all cheesy toys, suitable
perhaps for still images, but that's about it.

Quote:>> > Worse image quality? You obviously know nothing about Lightwave, as
>it's
>> > known primarily for it's SUPERB ray-tracer.

Just a thought here... when I worked for Strata, everyone gushed over
their raytracer... when in point of fact, it's typically the ARTIST
that makes a scene look good, not the software.  *grin*  Any program
with even a half-assed raytracer can look amazing in the hands of a
talented artist.

Still, you're correct, Lightwave renders quite nicely.  Now if only
they'd lose the Amiga interface...

3dsmax vs. Lightwave vs. Softimage??

Post by Max » Thu, 09 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I would definitely go for Max2. You can run more than one instance of the
program at once now.
The new particle effects are stunning, and it includes dynamics (gravity,
friction, etc). Max1.2 plug-ins, unfortunately, DON'T work with Max2 - so
be careful of investing in the older technology.
IMHO tho', Max1.2, with suitable plug-ins, is marvelous and hard to beat.
It renders with two processors, if you have 'em. I don't know whether
Lightwave does or not...
best regards
Max

> I am also considering 3DSM and Lightwave. My question is on overall
speed.
> Which one renders faster? I know it depends on things like raytracing,
> etc., but comparing a similar scene that is loaded, which ones works
> faster? I have a dual Pent II/266 (overclocked to dual 300) with 128 mb
EDO
> ram.
> Thanx...Gary

> > > Worse image quality? You obviously know nothing about Lightwave, as
> it's
> > > known primarily for it's SUPERB ray-tracer.  Look at the opening
> sequence
> > > of Babylon5 to see what LW's standard raytracer can do. Having said
> that,
> > > if you can afford it, look at Max2 -it's a killer, even compared to
> > Max1.2,
> > > which is already hot.

> > Thanks, I have seen various results from all of the above but what I
> really
> > want to know is what platforms and system requirements they need.

> > --- J ---

3dsmax vs. Lightwave vs. Softimage??

Post by Matt » Thu, 09 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Lightwave 5.5 is fully multithreaded, has a brand new interface and will
give any package, including Max a run for its money. I'd really like to
see Max2, though. It sounds as if Kinetix really listens to what its
customers want, which Newtek isnt really known for.

Peace,

Matt

Post by littleboyom.. » Fri, 10 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Lightwave 5.5 is fully multithreaded, has a brand new interface and will
> give any package, including Max a run for its money. I'd really like to
> see Max2, though. It sounds as if Kinetix really listens to what its
> customers want, which Newtek isnt really known for.

> Peace,

> Matt

> > IMHO tho', Max1.2, with suitable plug-ins, is marvelous and hard to beat.
> > It renders with two processors, if you have 'em. I don't know whether
> > Lightwave does or not...
> > best regards

max2 looks just like max1.2 and functions rather similarly, lw5.5 is an
amazing step up from 5.0 (could almost be considered 6.0) if you ain't
seen it (lw5.5) take a a good look.
personally i like LW for stills and max for animations. adn i don't
think eather one is markedly faster over all, one is faster than the
other here the other is faster there.

btw. both max and lw(5.5) can use multi proc.

--
"Son, no matter how far you travel, or how smart you get, always
remember this: Some day, somewhere, a guy is going to come to you and

"A good artist copies, a great artist steals."
 - Picasso

"Computers are incredibly fast, accurate and stupid. Humans beings are
incredibly slow, inaccurate and brilliant. Together they are powerful
beyond imagination."
 - Albert Einstein

3dsmax vs. Lightwave vs. Softimage??

Post by JRW » Fri, 10 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Me, I like MAX.  =)

> Now, Softimage renders faster, but then, it requires beefier hardware.

> Lightwave:  Despite the hype, they just aren't all that impressive.
> Once again, for a company devoted to making GRAPHIC software, their
> interface is horrid.
> As for the Mac solutions... *smirk*  There isn't one Mac 3d program
> that I'd wish on my worst enemy.  They're all cheesy toys, suitable
> perhaps for still images, but that's about it.

> >it's

> Still, you're correct, Lightwave renders quite nicely.  Now if only
> they'd lose the Amiga interface...

Great.  Thanks for the info. but I'm afraid it still doesn't answer my
original question.  Perhaps I should clarify what I need to know...

1.  What platform(s) do(es) each of the three run on, and which does it
perform best on?

2.  What does each require i.t.o. hardware to a) run and b) blow the top of
your head off?

3.  Any other considerations?  Price vs. performance?

.... any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

James.

Post by Dan » Fri, 10 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> Worse image quality? You obviously know nothing about Lightwave, as it's
> known primarily for it's SUPERB ray-tracer.  Look at the opening sequence
> of Babylon5 to see what LW's standard raytracer can do. Having said that,
> if you can afford it, look at Max2 -it's a killer, even compared to Max1.2,
> which is already hot.

Saying this I'm sure you haven't seen too much mental-ray images from
Softimage. If they are well done they are impossible to differ from a
photo, not like in Babylon (ok, Babylon was made some years ago...)

3dsmax vs. Lightwave vs. Softimage??

Post by Kyle Maxwe » Fri, 10 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>1.  What platform(s) do(es) each of the three run on, and which does it
>perform best on?

Well, I'm not a rep for any of the companies, but to the best of my
knowledge:
Lightwave: Amiga (heh) PC & Mac.  The Mac version sucks.
Softimage:  PC, SGI.
Max:  PC only, as far as I know.

Quote:>2.  What does each require i.t.o. hardware to a) run and b) blow the top of
>your head off?

Son, the sooner you learn that ALL 3d software requires twice as much
power as you can afford, the better off you'll be.  Softimage has the
biggest requirments though, you need at least a $1,000 Open GL card,
an Alpha or Pentium Pro chip, and 128 meg o' Ram.

Quote:>3.  Any other considerations?  Price vs. performance?

What are you trying to achieve?  If the ultimate in photorealism is
your goal, and you have an extra 15k for software and 10k for
hardware, go the Softimage route.  I think MAX gives the best
price/performance return.

3dsmax vs. Lightwave vs. Softimage??

Post by Jef Knigh » Fri, 10 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Hi,
I am move up from 3dr4 and have been doing alot of research on this.
LightWave has some serious drawbacks; you can't rotate maps, no UV
mapping, all axiis locked to a single channel per keyframe, longer
render times, steep learning curve... I could go on. The big hype for LW
is that a lot of TV shows use it. What they don't tell you is that they
use it in a limited way for special effects, on UNIX, an use many custom
made, in-house add-ons.
SoftImage is cool but Disney Canada apparently has dropped it ( and
their proprietarty UNIX software, I think it's called Ullysies,) in
favour of MAX R2. Certainly a glowing recomedation.
I would have taken LW over MAX R1 but MAX R2 is pretty frikin'
happining! My mind is made up.
Hope this helps.

3dsmax vs. Lightwave vs. Softimage??

Post by JRW » Sat, 11 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Thanks.  I've managed to track down some literature/reviews as well which
are definitely going to help me make my mind up.  Think I'll go for 3DSMax
R2 when it's released.  Thanks again...

James.

Post by rippe » Sat, 11 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Newsgroups: alt.3d.studio,comp.graphics.packages.3dstudio
> Subject: Re: 3dsmax vs. Lightwave vs. Softimage??
> Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 11:44:30 +0200

> > Worse image quality? You obviously know nothing about Lightwave, as it's
> > known primarily for it's SUPERB ray-tracer.  Look at the opening sequence
> > of Babylon5 to see what LW's standard raytracer can do. Having said that,
> > if you can afford it, look at Max2 -it's a killer, even compared to
Max1.2,
> > which is already hot.

> Saying this I'm sure you haven't seen too much mental-ray images from
> Softimage. If they are well done they are impossible to differ from a
> photo, not like in Babylon (ok, Babylon was made some years ago...)

Call 1-800-Toaster and ask for the latest LW reel. Lots of Photorealistic
shots. In particular the shot of a fighter jet.

LWs renderer is definitely in the same league as mental-ray
or rendrman for that matter. All tools have advantages and dissadvantages
Lightwaves render quality is most certainly a plus.