MAX crashing bad with 64 megs, please help !!

MAX crashing bad with 64 megs, please help !!

Post by Gunnar Lars » Sun, 26 May 1996 04:00:00

I installed Max a couple of days ago with 32 Megs and it worked fine.
I soon discovered (as expected) that 32 megs was way too little memory

and added 32 megs of the same ramtype. The ram was tested and in dos
it worked fine.
Max then started to lock up in every possible way.
-It hangs and the computer has to be turned of.
-I sometimes get a blinking vga screen with some error messages that
is partly covered by vga mess.
- And sometimes I get a message from Nt that memory can't be read on a

specific adress.
-It seems that other NT programs is unstable too.

System
CUBE P100
WINNT351
PVR (with drivers installed and uninstalled)
ATI MACH 64
Turtle beach Tahit sound

Please help because I am no working with 200k faces and 32 mb ram and
it is really.... slow

Gunnar Larsen

MAX crashing bad with 64 megs, please help !!

Post by Gunnar Lars » Sun, 26 May 1996 04:00:00

>System
>CUBE P100
>WINNT351
>PVR (with drivers installed and uninstalled)
>ATI MACH 64
>Turtle beach Tahit sound
>Please help because I am no working with 200k faces and 32 mb ram and
>it is really.... slow

Oh shit it crashed with 32 megs too.....
I have had problems with my paralell port before.
Is it poosible that it is the dongle driver that causes these crashes.

Gunnar larsen

Post by Vassilis Bourdaki » Sun, 26 May 1996 04:00:00

> >System
> >CUBE P100
> >WINNT351
> >PVR (with drivers installed and uninstalled)
> >ATI MACH 64
> >Turtle beach Tahit sound

> >Please help because I am no working with 200k faces and 32 mb ram and
> >it is really.... slow

> Oh shit it crashed with 32 megs too.....
> I have had problems with my paralell port before.
> Is it poosible that it is the dongle driver that causes these crashes.

> Gunnar larsen

Gunnar,

by the looks of it, it is the memory and/or ServicePacks that are needed
especially if other progs are unstable it is not Max to blame!

The fact that the mem worked fine under dos is irrelevant, NT and linux
are the best tests for memory :-)
you didn't say what type and speed the memory is btw.
Try swaping it with some other mem simms and see if it makes any difference

Cheers

--
   --- --- ---- ---- ----
   Dr. Vassilis Bourdakis             ---- ---- ----- -----

MAX crashing bad with 64 megs, please help !!

Post by Zipp » Mon, 27 May 1996 04:00:00

snip...

Quote:>Gunnar,
>by the looks of it, it is the memory and/or ServicePacks that are needed
>especially if other progs are unstable it is not Max to blame!

snip...

I agree, try installing  NT Service pack 3, if it isn't already.
Hope it helps.

geoff.

Post by Brandon Hin » Mon, 27 May 1996 04:00:00

>I installed Max a couple of days ago with 32 Megs and it worked fine.
>I soon discovered (as expected) that 32 megs was way too little memory
>and added 32 megs of the same ramtype. The ram was tested and in dos
>it worked fine.

Dos will never touch above 640k except to see if it exists.

Brandon

Post by Brian Rudol » Sat, 01 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>I installed Max a couple of days ago with 32 Megs and it worked fine.
>I soon discovered (as expected) that 32 megs was way too little memory
>and added 32 megs of the same ramtype. The ram was tested and in dos
>it worked fine.
>ATI MACH 64
>Turtle beach Tahit sound
>Please help because I am no working with 200k faces and 32 mb ram and
>it is really.... slow
>Gunnar Larsen

I don't know if the ATI MACH64 you have falls into this category, but
check this out....

Q: I have just upgraded my system from 64 Megs of RAM to 128 Megs of
RAM.  All of a sudden my video card will only work in VESA and VGA
modes. It was working fine before the RAM upgrade, and I am using the
most current Vibrant Drivers. How could upgrading my RAM affect my
video display?

A: It sounds as if your video card is one of the models that employs a
linear frame buffer. This means that on your system, the video card
you are using puts its video buffer at a memory address somwhere
between 64MB and 128MB. When you upgraded to 128 MB of RAM, all of a
sudden your video card can not create its memory buffer, becuase there
is now physical RAM at that address.

With most cards that employ this system, you can configure the address
where the buffer is placed. You need to reconfigure your card to place
that address above the 128  MB mark. You can contact your cards
manufacturer to find out how to do this.

With some video cards, however, there is no way to change the address
where the buffer resides. For these cases, you should turn to the BIOS
of your computer. Many newer computers allow you to place a " memory
hole" in the system, so there will be no conflict between the system
RAM and the video buffer.
**********************************
Brian Rudolph
Autodesk Product Support - Multimedia

**********************************

MAX crashing bad with 64 megs, please help !!

Post by Gunnar Lars » Tue, 04 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Thank you for your answers.

I switched only the main-board and now it works perfectly.
I still think it is a problem with the sentinel driver, or the
M.Boards's handling of interrupts/adresses of the parralell port.
A thread in comp.nt.misc describes problems with award bios/triton.

I had to install a extra paralell port on this new Main-board too.
I got cant find the hardwarelock when i used the on-board port
(even when mode was set too normal)
I also had to removie a drive bay (with metal saw)  to get room for
ram ,and bend a few components and their coolers to get room for the
pvr.

Totally this dongle costed me two days of work and a new mother-board.
My anger against kinetix and their dongle policy gradually dissapears
thoug as MAX is a fabulous program.

Thanks again
Gunnar Larsen

MAX crashing bad with 64 megs, please help !!

Post by SLiNG » Fri, 07 Jun 1996 04:00:00

1. See only 64 megs.

I've seen this posting a million times. Here's how to fix it. If your
computer only sees 64 megs of ram, get QEMM version 8 or above. After it is
installed add this entry to the qemm386 line of your config.sys.

usemem=1M:96M or 128M or whatever your memory size is. Personally I would
enter a number 1 meg higher than you really need. Thats all there is to it.
Hope this helps a bunch of you folks. It drove me crazy for almost 6 months
before I found out. The problem is with the emm386 memory manager that
comes with dos. You need qemm to deal with it. If you have trouble look in
your qemm manual under the usemem heading. Rick Meyers

2. Mission Impossible style fuse

3. 64 megs of RAM or p133

4. OFFSET of a TCANVAS->PIXEL [0][0]

5. AURORA 21164 300Mhz Systems with 64 megs $ 6899.00

6. Best AVI Codec?

7. Converting 256 to 64 colours!! Please Help

8. BlobSculptor

9. HELP: MAX 64-bit File Format?

10. Bad performance of ATI Mach 64 under NT

11. Ram causes Max and Rhino to crash machine-please help

12. Fibre Channel RAIDs: 64-bit, 200MB/sec, 1.062GB/sec max