File Import Question

Post by Harr » Mon, 05 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I'm using Max 3.1.
When I import a file from a Cad program it works fine until I use a
subtraction Boolean operation on it.
As a simple example, if I import a sphere in this format (.stl or
stereolithography) and make a flat spot by Boolean subtraction it appears
as if I can see through the object where the flat spot is. But if I rotate
it to view from the back it is solid (can't see through the flat spot). I'm
new to working with imported Cad files in Max. I have never seen this
happen in anything that I have made all the way in Max.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Harry

File Import Question

Post by M. van Viane » Mon, 05 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I think this has nothing to do with your import, but rather the
orientation of the normals of the backside of the sphere as viewed
through your Boolean hole......try flipping/unifying the normals of the
mesh (to see if the faces are indeed there, give your sphere some
thickness (so the faces inside the sphere have their normals facing the
viewport/camera) or apply a 2-sided material. Remember, Max objects are
"hollow" not solid, and normals (which give interaction with lighting so
we can see the surface) only exist (by default) on one side of the face.

Rgds,

Mel

> I'm using Max 3.1.
> When I import a file from a Cad program it works fine until I use a
> subtraction Boolean operation on it.
> As a simple example, if I import a sphere in this format (.stl or
> stereolithography) and make a flat spot by Boolean subtraction it appears
> as if I can see through the object where the flat spot is. But if I rotate
> it to view from the back it is solid (can't see through the flat spot). I'm
> new to working with imported Cad files in Max. I have never seen this
> happen in anything that I have made all the way in Max.

> Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

> Harry

1. Question: Import data from file to 3D Max

Hi,

  I want to animate an object using some x,y,z coordinate and rotation
data from a text file. I can arrange the data in text file as needed.
The problem is that I do not know how to make 3D studio read my file
and interpret data in it az coordinates and rotation values.

Vadood Etminan

2. Illustrator 5.5 ext conflict

3. question for import file and shading

4. Any experience with NEC or Mitsubishi 37" data-grade monitors ?

5. Question for shading importing file

6. screen captures & print work

7. Question about importing file format....

8. WANTED: jpeg viewer on SGI

9. 3d file import library question

10. Import Question---->NOT 3d import

11. Import 3d shape files/VRML files?

12. "Invalid file" when importing illustrator file

13. File conversion utilities for importing AutoCAD 2002 dxf files