Bark Texture

Post by Herv » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 05:12:57

Hi,

  I need to create a bark texture for my tree but if I use a bitmap,
there will be some problems for the branches.
  So, how would you create a procedural texture for the bark ?

Thanks in advance
Herv -

Bark Texture

Post by Arkla » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 06:29:46

isntthere a procedural wood in max? take a look at this and play around.
maybe use it has a mask between two other wood maps?

Quote:> Hi,

>   I need to create a bark texture for my tree but if I use a bitmap,
> there will be some problems for the branches.
>   So, how would you create a procedural texture for the bark ?

> Thanks in advance
> Herv -

Bark Texture

Post by Herve » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 03:54:09

Quote:> isntthere a procedural wood in max? take a look at this and play around.
> maybe use it has a mask between two other wood maps?

Procedural wood but not procedural bark. I know, there are bitmaps of barks
in 3dsmax folder. But I don't know how to apply it (OK for the trunk but the
branches aren't very realistic)

Herv -

Bark Texture

Post by Martin Rowle » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 11:33:03

Take a look at this technique for mapping a tree.

www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/map_channels/map_channels.htm

www.darksim.com/html/simbiont.html

Pick on the link "shaders available on this site"

Scroll down till you see the "Wood" link, pick on it.

There are several bark texture maps for download.

Martin

> Hi,

>   I need to create a bark texture for my tree but if I use a bitmap,
> there will be some problems for the branches.
>   So, how would you create a procedural texture for the bark ?

> Thanks in advance
> Herv -

Bark Texture

Post by Herve » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 11:48:31

Thanks a lot Martin
That's exactly what I was looking for !

Herv -

1. Tree bark texture?

        Is there a good tree bark texture that anyone can recommend?
I'm trying to create a tree trunk and from what I've seen the wood
textures are all for objects such as planks, boards, etc. not for the
outside of wood.  My other options are to create a 2d image and wrap it
around the trunk, or to bumpmap a 2d image onto the trunk for more
realistic 3d effect.  (Would these work? :)

2. L6 and Win98 SE: Any one successful?

3. Botanical Tree Demo - now with bark texture

4. 3DFX CARDS HAVE A FULL OGL ICD??? or only miniGl???

5. Tree Bark Texture Needed...

6. Printing on fabrics - how?

7. Bark texture??

8. Bark Texture?

9. Bark Textures

10. Texture Map of the Week - Jigsaw Bark

11. Botanical Tree Demo - now with bark