newbie Q: why doesn't snowfall work?

Post by Steven Wüthric » Wed, 25 Dec 2002 12:07:49

Hi guys,

i'm very, very new indeed to Max 3d, and i'd like to just experiment a
little.
Now, why does it all have to be so difficult? ;)) well, i'd like to
let some snow tumbling down, nice istn't it?? :) but i don't seem to
get the hang out of max. I used the particules system, but when i
render the scene, the snow is not there... what am i doing wrong?

thanks for any advice, and a merry christmas to all you guys!

cheers, steven

newbie Q: why doesn't snowfall work?

Post by Conny Klasso » Fri, 27 Dec 2002 09:20:18

Can you see the snow in the view port?
Do you do still image or animation?
Try drag the time slider and see if the snow starts to fall.
If you only render frame 0, then the snow hasn't begun falling yet.

Conny

Quote:> Hi guys,

> i'm very, very new indeed to Max 3d, and i'd like to just experiment a
> little.
> Now, why does it all have to be so difficult? ;)) well, i'd like to
> let some snow tumbling down, nice istn't it?? :) but i don't seem to
> get the hang out of max. I used the particules system, but when i
> render the scene, the snow is not there... what am i doing wrong?

> thanks for any advice, and a merry christmas to all you guys!

> cheers, steven

newbie Q: why doesn't snowfall work?

Post by davy » Tue, 31 Dec 2002 18:49:13

Don't forget to apply a snow texture to the particles, either.
select the parray or blizzard particle system that you're using to
create the snow particles.
then press "m" to bring up material editor.
create your snow material in one of the material slots.
then click on the button "apply material to object" and
then render a test frame at say frame 40 or so.

good luck with this because if you're especially new to Max or CG in
general, this is an intermediate level task that you might not be able
to get any good results with until you've worked your way through the
tutorials.

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002 01:20:18 +0100, "Conny Klasson"

>Can you see the snow in the view port?
>Do you do still image or animation?
>Try drag the time slider and see if the snow starts to fall.
>If you only render frame 0, then the snow hasn't begun falling yet.

>Conny

>> Hi guys,

>> i'm very, very new indeed to Max 3d, and i'd like to just experiment a
>> little.
>> Now, why does it all have to be so difficult? ;)) well, i'd like to
>> let some snow tumbling down, nice istn't it?? :) but i don't seem to
>> get the hang out of max. I used the particules system, but when i
>> render the scene, the snow is not there... what am i doing wrong?

>> thanks for any advice, and a merry christmas to all you guys!

>> cheers, steven

newbie Q: why doesn't snowfall work?

Post by partic » Sun, 09 Feb 2003 10:53:40

particles are only visible thru a perspective or camera viewport when
rendered dude.. (or is that 'lens effects' .. uh..)

Quote:> Hi guys,

> i'm very, very new indeed to Max 3d, and i'd like to just experiment a
> little.
> Now, why does it all have to be so difficult? ;)) well, i'd like to
> let some snow tumbling down, nice istn't it?? :) but i don't seem to
> get the hang out of max. I used the particules system, but when i
> render the scene, the snow is not there... what am i doing wrong?

> thanks for any advice, and a merry christmas to all you guys!

> cheers, steven

1. Why doesn't this work!?

Hi folks-

I'm trying to get a small sphere to orbit a larger sphere. (I'll add
interesting details to the spheres later...) I've never tried to do the
animation before, and thought this wouldn't be too tough.

When I render the sences, nothing changes! It has to be something simple,
but it escapes me. Any help would be nice.

Thanks in advance!
Norman

----------------------------------
scene file:
#include "colors.inc"
#include "textures.inc"

camera {
   location < 0, 50, 0 >
   look_at 0
   angle 36

// light_source { < 700, 200, -50 > White }
light_source { < -500, 0, 10 > White }
// light_source { < -10, -5, -10 > Red }

plane { y, -25
   texture {
      pigment { Yellow }
      finish { reflection .5 specular 1 ambient 0.3 }
   }

sphere { < 0, 0, 0 > 2
        texture {
                pigment { Red }
        }

sphere { < 0, 0, 0 > .5
        texture {
                pigment { Blue }
                finish { reflection 0.9
                        specular 1
                        phong 1 phong_size 20
                        metallic
                }
        }
        translate < 5*cos(radians(clock)), 0, 5*sin(radians(clock)) >

animation ini file:
; Persistence Of Vision raytracer version 3.0 sample file.

Antialias=Off

Antialias_Threshold=0.2
Antialias_Depth=3

Test_Abort_Count=100

Input_File_Name=planet.pov

Initial_Frame=0
Final_Frame=9
Initial_Clock=0
Final_Clock=2*pi

Cyclic_Animation=on
Pause_when_Done=off

Width=320
Height=200
Display=off

                             |  it to makes voodoo seem like a science.

2. Problem with double floating point values.

3. why doesn't this work

4. Intergraph 2200 and Geom. accel.

5. Why doesn't the history brush work?

6. why panorma plugin doesn't work???