Please, please help - problem rendering a flc in 3ds4

Please, please help - problem rendering a flc in 3ds4

Post by 692.. » Fri, 18 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I'm using 3ds4 and I'm trying to render a 300+ frame flc. The main
problem is that the final flic is incredibly dithered and it looks
like there are a bunch of "speckles" all over the scene as well as the
fact that the colors are really not looking right.

It is a dimly lit scene and I have four burning torches done with
LenzFx and a transparent glass bottle with a bubbles ipas running
inside it. Furthermore I have assigned dents.sxp as the texture to the
walls. There is also a cigarette burning with the vapor.axp taking
care of the smoke. The reason I'm stating this is that I think one of
these IPAS' is the cause of my problems. The only animation other than
the animated ipas' is a moving camera.

When I render a still of the scene everything looks perfect. When I
render the full animation things get out of control. If I render a
range of frames where there is very little or no camera movement
everything looks good as well. It seems to me like a combination of my
moving camera and LenzFx and Bubbles causing my problems.

At the beginning of the animation (say the first 100 frames) the
camera does not see the torches (ie. the lights that I have assigned
LenzFX to) nor does it see the bottle. But when I render the flc in
video post I set LenzFX to render throughout the entire animation
(instead of just kicking in at frame 100-300 for example).

Should I only assign LenzFX to the range of frames where my torches
are visible to the camera? Also why am I getting this strange blue
banding in the final render when there is absolutely no blue materials
or lights in the scene to begin with?

I'm also wondering if maybe I rendered this animation to 24 bit
targa's and put them out to video would my problems persist? Like I
mentioned, when I render single frames from this animation everything
looks great.. so I figure that since targa's are a bunch of separate
still frames they should render without this annoying problem of heavy

dithering? Please tell me I'm right. It takes me at least 8 hours to
render the entire 300 frames and when it is done rendering and I see
these problems time and again and I feel like exploding.

Could the main problem with this incredibly annoying dithering be due
to the fact that flc files only support 256 colors? Therefore since
targa's are 24 bit/16 million colors shouldnt a targa sequence clear
this up?

Someone please, please help me. I need to get this animated for my
demo reel and move on to other work but I'm wasting too many days
trying to solve this problem. (Incidentally it's not a video card
problem as far as I can tell).

Thank you very much for reading this and if you need any more info on
my scene in order to help me out please let me know.

Please respond with help via email.

Thank you very much in advance.

Elliott Feller

http://www.cpol.com/elliott

Post by Whitlan Tak » Sat, 19 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> I'm using 3ds4 and I'm trying to render a 300+ frame flc. The main
> problem is that the final flic is incredibly dithered and it looks
> like there are a bunch of "speckles" all over the scene as well as the
> fact that the colors are really not looking right.

> It is a dimly lit scene and I have four burning torches done with
> LenzFx and a transparent glass bottle with a bubbles ipas running
> inside it. Furthermore I have assigned dents.sxp as the texture to the
> walls. There is also a cigarette burning with the vapor.axp taking
> care of the smoke. The reason I'm stating this is that I think one of
> these IPAS' is the cause of my problems. The only animation other than
> the animated ipas' is a moving camera.

> When I render a still of the scene everything looks perfect. When I
> render the full animation things get out of control. If I render a
> range of frames where there is very little or no camera movement
> everything looks good as well. It seems to me like a combination of my
> moving camera and LenzFx and Bubbles causing my problems.

> At the beginning of the animation (say the first 100 frames) the
> camera does not see the torches (ie. the lights that I have assigned
> LenzFX to) nor does it see the bottle. But when I render the flc in
> video post I set LenzFX to render throughout the entire animation
> (instead of just kicking in at frame 100-300 for example).

> Should I only assign LenzFX to the range of frames where my torches
> are visible to the camera? Also why am I getting this strange blue
> banding in the final render when there is absolutely no blue materials
> or lights in the scene to begin with?

> I'm also wondering if maybe I rendered this animation to 24 bit
> targa's and put them out to video would my problems persist? Like I
> mentioned, when I render single frames from this animation everything
> looks great.. so I figure that since targa's are a bunch of separate
> still frames they should render without this annoying problem of heavy

> dithering? Please tell me I'm right. It takes me at least 8 hours to
> render the entire 300 frames and when it is done rendering and I see
> these problems time and again and I feel like exploding.

> Could the main problem with this incredibly annoying dithering be due
> to the fact that flc files only support 256 colors? Therefore since
> targa's are 24 bit/16 million colors shouldnt a targa sequence clear
> this up?

> Someone please, please help me. I need to get this animated for my
> demo reel and move on to other work but I'm wasting too many days
> trying to solve this problem. (Incidentally it's not a video card
> problem as far as I can tell).

> Thank you very much for reading this and if you need any more info on
> my scene in order to help me out please let me know.

> Please respond with help via email.

> Thank you very much in advance.

> Elliott Feller

> http://www.cpol.com/elliott

Sounds like you were rendering in higher colour depth than your flc
driver setup in 3ds. Check your 3ds flc driver!
instant of running 3D studio using "3DS" command, use "3DS VIBCFG" to
config you flc driver.

kind regards,
Whitlan

Post by Rick Bolma » Sat, 19 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> I'm using 3ds4 and I'm trying to render a 300+ frame flc. The main
> problem is that the final flic is incredibly dithered and it looks
> like there are a bunch of "speckles" all over the scene as well as the
> fact that the colors are really not looking right.
> <snip>

> When I render a still of the scene everything looks perfect. When I
> render the full animation things get out of control. If I render a
> range of frames where there is very little or no camera movement
> everything looks good as well. It seems to me like a combination of my
> moving camera and LenzFx and Bubbles causing my problems.
> <snip>

I think that rendering to TGA's might clear up your problem, but check
this first. If I remember correctly, 3ds2 through 3ds4 rendered flics to
a default palette mode of LOW. This meant that the renderer was going to
grab 256 colors from the first frame and use only those colors throughout
the rest of the animation. Any color or shade of color introduced later
in the animation was converted to the closet color in the palette. Try
setting the palette mode to MEDIUM. This method grabs 256 colors from
each frame. In your case this would create 300+ palettes of 256 colors.
Then, after rendering all of the frames, it will create 1 palette
consisting of the the closest colors from the frame palettes. There is
also a HIGH option that stores 24 bit image files for each frame and then
creates a palette, but this option is not recommended (by
Autodesk/Kinetix) as it is buggy....

                        Rick

Please, please help - problem rendering a flc in 3ds4

Post by kha.. » Sat, 19 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Elliott,

Your best bet would be to render out your 300+ frames to a series of
image files (TGA would be the best) and then use a third party program
such as DTA (Daves TARGA Animator) to compile the images to an FLC
file.

DTA can be found in most graphic archive sites around the net.

Hope this helps.

Khaver