URGENT: ViRGE/GX OK for 3DSMAX??

Post by Srinivas Krishn » Wed, 09 Apr 1997 04:00:00

We are about to purchase a PPro 200 system through Gateway.  The salesman
I spoke to said this system comes standard with a "all-new, improved, etc"
video card based on ViRGE/GX, but did not tell me which one.  I am almost
sure it is the new STB Nitro 3D.   However, I am apprehensive about
getting a video card that hasn't received public approval yet.

The main requirement is a good all-round 3D/2D card that is sufficient
to run 3DStudio MAX at reasonable speeds.  We can not afford any fancy
high-end card.

Can anyone offer opinions/advise regarding this card?  How would it compare
to say, the Matrox Millenium, in 3D and 2D?? Also, is this card Heidi-
compatible??

This is for a PPro 200 with 64 megs and 17" CrystalScan.

Quick responses will be appreciated, either on the newsgroup or by mail.

Thank you.

Krish

Post by Normando Rodrigue » Sun, 13 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> We are about to purchase a PPro 200 system through Gateway.  The
> salesman
> I spoke to said this system comes standard with a "all-new,
> improved, etc"
> video card based on ViRGE/GX, but did not tell me which one.  I am
> almost
> sure it is the new STB Nitro 3D.   However, I am apprehensive about
> getting a video card that hasn't received public approval yet.

> The main requirement is a good all-round 3D/2D card that is
> sufficient
> to run 3DStudio MAX at reasonable speeds.  We can not afford any
> fancy
> high-end card.

> Can anyone offer opinions/advise regarding this card?  How would it
> compare
> to say, the Matrox Millenium, in 3D and 2D?? Also, is this card
> Heidi-
> compatible??

> This is for a PPro 200 with 64 megs and 17" CrystalScan.

> Quick responses will be appreciated, either on the newsgroup or by
> mail.

> Thank you.

> Krish

 The virge does not support hiedi, i know it is openGL, direct3D, and
all that other fun stuff.  For the price though, it is a good buy.  I
have the STB velocity 3D, and it's a pretty decent card....

Hopefully that was helpful.

Normando Rodriguez

Post by Eric D. Wies » Mon, 14 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>We are about to purchase a PPro 200 system through Gateway.  The salesman
>I spoke to said this system comes standard with a "all-new, improved, etc"
>video card based on ViRGE/GX, but did not tell me which one.  I am almost
>sure it is the new STB Nitro 3D.   However, I am apprehensive about
>getting a video card that hasn't received public approval yet.
>The main requirement is a good all-round 3D/2D card that is sufficient
>to run 3DStudio MAX at reasonable speeds.  We can not afford any fancy
>high-end card.

Don't know if this helps, but Permedia NT cards do wonders for MAX,
with Direct3D, OpenGL, and HEIDI support, and don't cost that much (we
have LeadTek's L2200 w/8MB SGRAM for $399). It'll be a LOT better than
the Virge-based card for MAX. Also, I don't know if Gateway offers it,
but make sure you get a dual-CPU motherboard. MAX will thank you. You
only pay a couple hundred dollars premium for the second socket, and
MAX performance goes way up with a second CPU. Call or email if you
need further advice or information.

Quote:>Can anyone offer opinions/advise regarding this card?  How would it compare
>to say, the Matrox Millenium, in 3D and 2D?? Also, is this card Heidi-
>compatible??
>This is for a PPro 200 with 64 megs and 17" CrystalScan.
>Quick responses will be appreciated, either on the newsgroup or by mail.
>Thank you.
>Krish

Eric D. Wiesen
Xert Computing
http://www.xert.com
(510) 845-9378

My opinions absolutely DO represent the views of Xert Computing.

Post by Al » Thu, 17 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>We are about to purchase a PPro 200 system through Gateway.  The salesman
>I spoke to said this system comes standard with a "all-new, improved, etc"
>video card based on ViRGE/GX, but did not tell me which one.  I am almost
>sure it is the new STB Nitro 3D.   However, I am apprehensive about
>getting a video card that hasn't received public approval yet.
>The main requirement is a good all-round 3D/2D card that is sufficient
>to run 3DStudio MAX at reasonable speeds.  We can not afford any fancy
>high-end card.
>Can anyone offer opinions/advise regarding this card?  How would it compare
>to say, the Matrox Millenium, in 3D and 2D?? Also, is this card Heidi-
>compatible??
>This is for a PPro 200 with 64 megs and 17" CrystalScan.
>Quick responses will be appreciated, either on the newsgroup or by mail.
>Thank you.
>Krish

Krish,

If you're looking for a video card that is mainly going to be used in
conjunction with Kinetics' proprietary Heidi drivers,  you'll probably
need to invest in one of the more expensive GLINT based video cards.

Alf
STB Tech Support
________________
STB Systems Inc.
Web site: http://www.stb.com/
FTP site: ftp.stb.com
BBS: (972) 437-9615

1. URGENT: Need info on ViRGE/GX

Hello:

We are about to purchase a PPro 200 system from Gateway.  This system will
have 64 megs and the 17" CrystalScan.

The salesperson told me that it is offered with an "all-new" ViRGE/GX video
card (4 Mb), that he claims is very fast etc.  However he did not mention
what make/model the card is.  I am reasonably sure it is the STB Nitro 3D.

I am apprehensive about getting a system with a video card that hasn't
received public acceptance yet, especially since one of the main uses for
the machine will be to run 3DStudio MAX in Windows NT.

Would appreciate all advise/comments regarding this card.  We are looking
for a good allround performer that is adequate to handle 3DS MAX at
reasonable speeds.  We can not afford any fancy, high-end cards, we just
need a solid entry-level card.  How would the Nitro 3D compare to, say, the
Millennium in 2D, 3D and Windows performance.

Thanks for quick responses (either by email or in the newsgroup) as we have
to order the system soon.

-Krish

2. o2 and jaleo263a

3. S3 Virge/VX/GX/DX and OpenGL support

4. antialiased lines, circles, arcs

5. *** URGENT URGENT URGENT URGENT URGENT URGENT URGENT URGENT ***

6. Best Fit Plane

7. *** URGENT URGENT URGENT URGENT URGENT ***

8. HELP:How to speed rendering times

9. QuickDraw GX 1.1.3 and Color SW Pro GX driver available

10. 3DSMax run OK in Direct3D mode?

11. URGENT URGENT - urgent.txt [1/1]

12. ok ok, this is a long shot, but......

13. Ok, ok, I jumped the gun...