poly count in low-poly modeling

Post by ariel darksou » Tue, 01 Feb 2000 04:00:00

This may be a stupid question...i'm looking to get into the * biz
as an modeler/animator.  I'm currently polishing up on my modeling skill
and have a question.
What should the poly count be to be considered a low-poly or hi-rez
model?  Is there an absolute
cut-off between the two, or does it depend on the specific project and
it requirements?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff C.

poly count in low-poly modeling

Post by Excaliber20 » Wed, 02 Feb 2000 04:00:00

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000 19:38:52 -0800, ariel darksoul

It depends on the game engine..............but typically nowadays it's
around 600-800. Maybe less if there are goin to be more objects in a
scene in any give frame.

Quote:>This may be a stupid question...i'm looking to get into the * biz
>as an modeler/animator.  I'm currently polishing up on my modeling skill
>and have a question.
>What should the poly count be to be considered a low-poly or hi-rez
>model?  Is there an absolute
>cut-off between the two, or does it depend on the specific project and
>it requirements?

>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>Thanks,

>Jeff C.

poly count in low-poly modeling

Post by Joe Coo » Wed, 02 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Low poly is usually about up to 600, depending on the target platform,
consoles are alot less right now.  high poly would depend on the situation,
alot of places have a cutoff limit for rendering time, as long as it doesn't
take longer than the limit per frame.

Quote:> This may be a stupid question...i'm looking to get into the * biz
> as an modeler/animator.  I'm currently polishing up on my modeling skill
> and have a question.
> What should the poly count be to be considered a low-poly or hi-rez
> model?  Is there an absolute
> cut-off between the two, or does it depend on the specific project and
> it requirements?

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks,

> Jeff C.

poly count in low-poly modeling

Post by Bubb » Thu, 03 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Ask your lead artist for a budget or the programers can tell you also.
The next generation of  will shoot up to thousands instead of hundreds.

--
Mike Kennedy   416-787-1749
www.vif.com/users/blither

Post by Plisske » Thu, 03 Feb 2000 04:00:00

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000 19:38:52 -0800, ariel darksoul

>This may be a stupid question...i'm looking to get into the * biz
>as an modeler/animator.  I'm currently polishing up on my modeling skill
>and have a question.
>What should the poly count be to be considered a low-poly or hi-rez
>model?  Is there an absolute
>cut-off between the two, or does it depend on the specific project and
>it requirements?

>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>Thanks,

>Jeff C.

It depends upon the platform.  If it's PSX and not PC, for instance,
then you'll probably get fewer polys to play with.  However, if it's
PS2, then you're probably going to get more than you imagined.  For
instance, right now, I'm finishing up a PSX title at the company I
work for and I modeled the main character.  I used almost 600 polys
for him.  I've modeled key characters as well, and they get about
200-300 polys.  Creatures that might attack you in droves, or are less
important (won't be seen up that close) get about 40-80 polys.  This
is triangle count, not quad count.  Though we're encouraged to
streamline our models even further and utilize quads in our models (a
non-planar quad doesn't count).
Texture space is also very important, and varies drastically on each
platform.  One T-Page (a 256x256 4-bit) is often used to map ALL the
terrain geometry in a level.  A non-central character, for example,
might get one small slot of 64x64 4-bit or LESS of texture space
allowed.  It's all project dependant, of course.

Plissken

1. Efficient poly-poly clipping for low-vertex polys

Hi, everybody!

I'm interested in an algo allowing fast polygon clipping by another polygon.
The algorithm should work best on polygons having 3-4 vertices.

Of course, I know classic Sutherland-Hodgeman approach, but its speed is
inadaquate for my application. More advanced Shamos, O'Rurke methods
work well on polygons with great number of vertices, while on triangles and
quadrangles they are inefficient.

Thanks,

Andrei Iones.

2. ||||||||||||> DUAL CPU PROBLEM <|||||||||||||||

3. Low Poly Count

4. !! HOT SOUND & VISION CDROM !!

5. low poly count for game.

6. once again... polygon intersections

7. Line-Poly, Poly-Poly Intersection HELP

8. REALLY low poly character models

9. Need some low poly models!!

10. Stitch and my low poly model

11. my low poly model