3D Studio sellers

Post by Fran » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 20:45:11

I have been searching for anyone who sells previously released
versions of 3D Studio (basically because I cannot afford the new
version). Either the DOS based original ones or MAX would be fine. I
understand that they will not include any support.

If anyone knows of any company or private individual selling old
versions, please let me know.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

-Frank Eboy

3D Studio sellers

Post by Angus Thermopyl » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 13:59:24

A good source is a local colleges that may have older full versions kicking
around. Try to stay away from the Student Versions but the schools that use
the software for teaching purposes may indeed have the full commercial
product. You'll need to check with discreet but usually the licenses are
non-transferrable unless it's a special case/agreement. You could also try
eBay.

Quote:> I have been searching for anyone who sells previously released
> versions of 3D Studio (basically because I cannot afford the new
> version). Either the DOS based original ones or MAX would be fine. I
> understand that they will not include any support.

> If anyone knows of any company or private individual selling old
> versions, please let me know.

> Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

> -Frank Eboy

3D Studio sellers

Post by Marti » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 23:57:26

I don't know about over in the UK - but the licenses used by
most of the universities here are part of Autodesk's ACES
program - which is basically a leased site license which
covers multiples of 25 machines. So you really can't buy an
old copy off something like this. That's not to say that
there aren't schools that did buy the full commercial
product to use - but at over $3,000 a license for one
commercial package and around $2,500 for a ACES license that
covers twenty-five machines, I can't imagine too many
schools that would go that direction.

Also keep in mind that once a license has been upgraded to a
newer release of a package - that old license is void and as
such can't be sold again (or really even used)- even if the
transfer of licenses is legal.

Martin

> A good source is a local colleges that may have older full versions kicking
> around. Try to stay away from the Student Versions but the schools that use
> the software for teaching purposes may indeed have the full commercial
> product. You'll need to check with discreet but usually the licenses are
> non-transferrable unless it's a special case/agreement. You could also try
> eBay.

> > I have been searching for anyone who sells previously released
> > versions of 3D Studio (basically because I cannot afford the new
> > version). Either the DOS based original ones or MAX would be fine. I
> > understand that they will not include any support.

> > If anyone knows of any company or private individual selling old
> > versions, please let me know.

> > Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

> > -Frank Eboy

3D Studio sellers

Post by Gavi » Tue, 14 Jan 2003 13:07:26

Ebay is a great place.  They usually have at least one copy of 3D
studio or combustion for sale at any given time.  I've even seen a few
that had both.  But from what I've seen.  Most people arn't selling
the student copy so you'll probably be about the same price range as
buying the student copy brand new.
                  Gavin

3D Studio sellers

Post by Marti » Tue, 14 Jan 2003 21:24:06

Gavin, you're quickly going from just being an irritating
user of bootlegged software to being just another troll.

Seems to me you're intentionally trying to start as many
arguments here as possible.

Martin