Materials

Post by Ry » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 05:39:21

Does anyone know a good place to find 3dsmax materials that are
already completely compiled (diffuse, bump, opacity, etc...) or a good
website that has tutorials on how to create them?

thanks

Materials

Post by Martin Rowle » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 07:04:01

How lazy can you get? Maybe you should be using Bryce or one of
those other $100-$200 programs where you don't have to be
bothered with complicated features like that.

> Does anyone know a good place to find 3dsmax materials that are
> already completely compiled (diffuse, bump, opacity, etc...) or a good
> website that has tutorials on how to create them?

> thanks

Materials

Post by Davy » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 18:55:33

Ah come now.  The lad requested tutorials too and at least it wasn't
one of those "give me free darktree .exe" requests.

Try www.neilblevins.com

under the heading "cg education"
You'll work for the results but anything worth keeping is worth
working for.

>How lazy can you get? Maybe you should be using Bryce or one of
>those other $100-$200 programs where you don't have to be
>bothered with complicated features like that.

>> Does anyone know a good place to find 3dsmax materials that are
>> already completely compiled (diffuse, bump, opacity, etc...) or a good
>> website that has tutorials on how to create them?

>> thanks

Materials

Post by Martin Rowle » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 22:34:04

Yeah, I saw the request - but how hard is it to do a search for
this stuff on Google? And how hard is it to simply work through
Max's own help files and tutorials on the subject?

Martin

> Ah come now.  The lad requested tutorials too and at least it wasn't
> one of those "give me free darktree .exe" requests.

> Try www.neilblevins.com

> under the heading "cg education"
> You'll work for the results but anything worth keeping is worth
> working for.

> >How lazy can you get? Maybe you should be using Bryce or one of
> >those other $100-$200 programs where you don't have to be
> >bothered with complicated features like that.

> >> Does anyone know a good place to find 3dsmax materials that are
> >> already completely compiled (diffuse, bump, opacity, etc...) or a good
> >> website that has tutorials on how to create them?

> >> thanks

Materials

Post by Ry » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 03:50:24

It was not my intention to seek out a bunch of already compiled
materials, so that i can just be use someone else's work, and get a
project done quicker.

I would like to look at some materials, so that i can dissect them...
look through all of the parameters and see what makes a great material
better than an average one...

I just want to learn to make them better, not steal others work.

Ryn

Materials

Post by Martin Rowle » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 04:39:07

Well doing a search on Amazon turned up a couple of books, one
that I would recommend is;

Photoshop 5 3D Textures f/x and design: The Premier Resource for
Creating 3D Digital Realities by Producing Photorealistic Image
Maps by Geoffrey Smith which is going for under $10 used.

I went to a 2-day Max workshop last week that covered a lot of
the fundamentals of Max 5.1. The person who was the instructor
for this recommended a book to read on the subject; Digital
Texturing & Painting by Owen Demers, Christine Urszenyi
(Editor), George Maestri (Editor) - this recommendation was
backed up by several other people attending the workshop.

But even then, they were recommending that this be supplemental
reading for AFTER going through the tutorials that came with the
software.

Doing a simple seach on Google turned up such tutorials as;

www.spoono.com/tutorials/3dstudiomax/material/

//3DToday.com/Tutorials/2001/March/MaxMatElements/default.asp

www.3dlinks.com/tutorials/max/max_tutorials.cfm?tutorial=apple

And I'm guessing that there is a class on this by now at the
www.3dbuzz site.

Martin

> It was not my intention to seek out a bunch of already compiled
> materials, so that i can just be use someone else's work, and get a
> project done quicker.

> I would like to look at some materials, so that i can dissect them...
> look through all of the parameters and see what makes a great material
> better than an average one...

> I just want to learn to make them better, not steal others work.

> Ryn

Materials

Post by Ry » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 06:14:33

thanks, the neilblevins.com website is just what I was looking for, btw

> Ah come now.  The lad requested tutorials too and at least it wasn't
> one of those "give me free darktree .exe" requests.

> Try www.neilblevins.com

> under the heading "cg education"
> You'll work for the results but anything worth keeping is worth
> working for.

> >How lazy can you get? Maybe you should be using Bryce or one of
> >those other $100-$200 programs where you don't have to be
> >bothered with complicated features like that.

> >> Does anyone know a good place to find 3dsmax materials that are
> >> already completely compiled (diffuse, bump, opacity, etc...) or a good
> >> website that has tutorials on how to create them?

> >> thanks

Materials

Post by Henry Chinansk » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 15:26:40

[snip]... recommended a book to read on the subject; Digital Texturing &
Painting by Owen Demers ...[snip]

Excellent book ! I have it on my bookshelf. IMHO a must read for everyone
interested in creating textures for 3d.

- Hank

Materials

Post by Everett Hicke » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 02:39:01

Quote:> Does anyone know a good place to find 3dsmax materials that are
> already completely compiled (diffuse, bump, opacity, etc...) or a good
> website that has tutorials on how to create them?

> thanks

Got a digital camera and a good eye?  Depending on the kind of texturing you
need, that can be one of the greatest boons availible to you.  Resolution is
very useful, but even a simple one will do.  Analog works but you have to
scan images in and it complicates matters a bit.

If you go that route, you'll have to do the bumps by eye (easy enough with a
visual reference, and there's ways to use lighting to help out here as
well).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Everett Hickey
"With the basest of companions have I walked the streets of Houston."
                                                                   - St
Augustine...  sorta.

Materials

Post by Ry » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 00:31:36

Thanks....
Is it better to photograph a textured surface in daylight, to get the
best quality of light, or under cloud cover to remove shadows?

Materials

Post by Martin Rowle » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 01:05:40

Either is good at times - depending on the texture you're taking
a picture of. The photo can always be tweaked in Photoshop.

Photoshop is good for making textures even without using a
digital camera. All sorts of wood, metal, plastic, fabric,
organic textures can be digitally made from scratch. There's a
ton of tutorial on how on the net, plus a number of books.

Then there are software packages specifically made for making
textures. Corel Draw ships with one - Corel Texture, and Texture
Maker (www.i-tex.de/) is a good program for this too.

Martin

> Thanks....
> Is it better to photograph a textured surface in daylight, to get the
> best quality of light, or under cloud cover to remove shadows?

Materials

Post by stefke » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:38:47

Most people take photographs under a covered sky, to avoid shadows at all
cost.
This allows the texture to be used in different lighting situations.
If you do take the photograph with shadows and all, it only works in one
particular situation.

And a good set of CD's can be bought at www.3dtotal.com It comes with max
libraries included.

stefkeB

> > Does anyone know a good place to find 3dsmax materials that are
> > already completely compiled (diffuse, bump, opacity, etc...) or a good
> > website that has tutorials on how to create them?

> > thanks

> Got a digital camera and a good eye?  Depending on the kind of texturing
you
> need, that can be one of the greatest boons availible to you.  Resolution
is
> very useful, but even a simple one will do.  Analog works but you have to
> scan images in and it complicates matters a bit.

> If you go that route, you'll have to do the bumps by eye (easy enough with
> visual reference, and there's ways to use lighting to help out here as
> well).

-
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> Everett Hickey
> "With the basest of companions have I walked the streets of Houston."
>                                                                    - St
> Augustine...  sorta.

1. POV materials vs. OpenGL materials

Hello,

I want to ble able to export scenes from my program to POVRay. The program
uses OpenGL to draw and here is my question:
From reading of the documentation it seems to me that the material
properties in POVRay can be described as a solid color (pigment) and
coefficients in the finish section that describe relative values of ambient,
diffuse and specular. We also have phong that corresponds to the shininess
(specular exponent of the material). Is that correct?

If yes, then how do we handle a situation if a description of material
includes different *colors* for different compoenets? Say green diffuse and
red specular.
What about the emission component?

Radek

2. Making AVI's

3. adding extra materials into the material slot ...?

4. Bug in Cosmo-OpenGL?

5. Multi/Sub Material - same sub for 20 materials

6. Looking for books on 3D MAX and Lightwave 5.0

7. Solid Material -> Wire Material (Morphing)

8. FLIR/IR effects

9. Trading MAX training materials for LW training materials....

10. matte material and blend material

11. Material properties :: Ambient, Diffuse, Specular, Emission colors and Shininess values for a set of material (gold, bronze, glass, plastic ...)

12. S: Material zu (alternativen) Grafischen Benutzeroberfl?chen / Looking for material for alternative graphical user-interfaces !!Sorry for the crosspost!!

13. Material properties :: Ambient, Diffuse, Specular, Emission colors and Shininess values for a set of material (gold, bronze, glass, plastic ...)