Probs with memory in DOS 6.22

Post by Rod Colle » Sat, 18 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I have 128 megs of RAM and using 3DS4 under DOS 6.22 on a Pentium 133.

DOS was reporting ALL 128 megs of RAM (don't respond to this if you are
going to tell me DOS 6.22 can't handle more that 64 megs of RAM, that's
BS). Now, however I am suddenly only getting 64 megs. BIOS is reporting 128
and on boot up, the memory test counts up to 128. But when I type mem at
the DOS prompt I get only 64 megs available and in 3DS4 I only get 64.

I KNOW I was getting 128 because I remember checking it when I got the
memory and I have a scene that needs about 78 megs of RAM to render (thats
how I noticed something was wrong, because 3DS was paging memory to disk).

The scene I am talking about takes less than 15 minutes to render with 128
megs of RAM and over an hour now that I have only 64 megs of ram.
Obviously, I need to resolve this problem quickly. Thanks for any
suggestions you have!

-Rod Collen

Probs with memory in DOS 6.22

Post by W3 Use » Sun, 19 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> I have 128 megs of RAM and using 3DS4 under DOS 6.22 on a Pentium 133.

> DOS was reporting ALL 128 megs of RAM (don't respond to this if you are
> going to tell me DOS 6.22 can't handle more that 64 megs of RAM, that's
> BS). Now, however I am suddenly only getting 64 megs. BIOS is reporting 128
> and on boot up, the memory test counts up to 128. But when I type mem at
> the DOS prompt I get only 64 megs available and in 3DS4 I only get 64.

> I KNOW I was getting 128 because I remember checking it when I got the
> memory and I have a scene that needs about 78 megs of RAM to render (thats
> how I noticed something was wrong, because 3DS was paging memory to disk).

> The scene I am talking about takes less than 15 minutes to render with 128
> megs of RAM and over an hour now that I have only 64 megs of ram.
> Obviously, I need to resolve this problem quickly. Thanks for any
> suggestions you have!

> -Rod Collen

Any chances that you have Win95 installed somewhere on your computer?
If yes, use its HIMEM.SYS instead of the one supplied with DOS 6.22 or
Win3.11
(It might be BS, but 6.22 REALLY cannot use 128 MB :o/  )

--
Hope this will help you!

Greetings,

3DJ Bobo
aka W3 User
http://info.tuwien.ac.at/raumsim/vrb/
What's new in VR Boboland? Check
http://info.tuwien.ac.at/raumsim/vrb/WHATSUP.DOC

New DEMO by Compugraf AS: MathMax Expression Meshes - Beta 0.9
http://www.archlab.tuwien.ac.at/w2561/ipas/mathmax/MATHMAX.HTM

Probs with memory in DOS 6.22

Post by Mike Edmonst » Tue, 21 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Had the same problem,

DOS cannot handle upwards of 64 meg. :(
I installed QEMM 8, and some switches in the config.sys(DONT REMEMBER
THE SWITCHES OFF HAND, BUT CAN POST THEM IF YOU GET QEMM..)
Now the system sees all my ram, and gives me a nifty quickBoot option.
I also have NT loaded on this machine, and I run 3ds4 directly from
DOS, not a DOS shell in NT.

Hope this helps, and if you can find out how your DOS saw more than 64
MEG, I would like to know how you did it..

                cheers,

                Mike Edmonston
                Animation Director
                *byte Digital Studios, FL.

1. p-jpeg to jpeg in ms-dos 6.22

        I have some files which are "new JPEG" (I imagine that's
P-JPEG)..  and some programs can't handle that.. is there an MS-DOS
program which converts P-JPEG to JPEG? (Even MS Imager Win 3.11 won't
read newer JPG files.)

                                - = -
Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bioengineer-Financier, NYC
   BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian http://WWW.Dorsai.Org/~vjp2

                 [DQ2K: Make the Murky Clown Frown!]

2. **StartNET Logo contest**

3. 3DSMAX 2.0 FOR DOS 6.22

4. Exporting to RAW format.

5. pbmplus and msdos 6.22 conflict

6. Canon BJC-820 driver for Mac (v2.1)

7. Visual Reality Memory Probs ...

8. memory probs under NT II

9. Memory probs under NT - ALERT

10. Memory probs under NT??

11. memory probs (again)

12. Win98 memory probs / Video post dithering