HELP: Character studio in 3ds max 4

Post by HiRe » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 02:58:06

I can use character studio and make a biped.  I can move the biped around.
The problem is how do I map out a skin or clothes on top of the biped?
Anyone?

HELP: Character studio in 3ds max 4

Post by hYv » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 04:50:15

Make mesh
Allign biped to mesh in figure mode
attach mesh to biped skeletton via physique modifier
map mesh

easier/quicker said than done, i admit :o)

hYv

Quote:> I can use character studio and make a biped.  I can move the biped around.
> The problem is how do I map out a skin or clothes on top of the biped?
> Anyone?

HELP: Character studio in 3ds max 4

Post by HiRe » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 06:47:57

let me be more specific:  could you explain how it's done?  What buttons to
push?  The tutorial says the same as you, but that's Greek to me.

> Make mesh
> Allign biped to mesh in figure mode
> attach mesh to biped skeletton via physique modifier
> map mesh

> easier/quicker said than done, i admit :o)

> hYv

> > I can use character studio and make a biped.  I can move the biped
around.
> > The problem is how do I map out a skin or clothes on top of the biped?
> > Anyone?

HELP: Character studio in 3ds max 4

Post by Christoph Lich » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 08:00:51

most of the people here tought themselves "greek" with lot of pain, time
and *!
 getting the software for free -as i think you did, you should make your
first steps alone, maybe you come back here in a year or so...

Post by Christoph Lich » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 08:03:28

most of the people here tought themselves "greek" with lot of pain, time
and *!
-getting the software for free -as i think you did, you should make your
first steps alone, maybe you come back here in a year or so...

HELP: Character studio in 3ds max 4

Post by render8to » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 08:10:50

"What buttons do I Push?".

Push the "OFF" button on your computer. Then go to the library and read a
book. Even better would be to BUY a book (gotta support the CG community).
Better still would be to take some part-time courses.

> let me be more specific:  could you explain how it's done?  What buttons
> push?  The tutorial says the same as you, but that's Greek to me.

> > Make mesh
> > Allign biped to mesh in figure mode
> > attach mesh to biped skeletton via physique modifier
> > map mesh

> > easier/quicker said than done, i admit :o)

> > hYv

> > > I can use character studio and make a biped.  I can move the biped
> around.
> > > The problem is how do I map out a skin or clothes on top of the biped?
> > > Anyone?

HELP: Character studio in 3ds max 4

Post by hYv » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 09:32:56

Tell you what: you convince me of your animation talent by rendering a short
scene and putting that available through a website or ftp somewhere (if
smaller than 1meg, you can even mail it to me - remove the obvious part out
of my email address for that). Or post it on alt.binaries.3dstudio, but I
won't be able to see it there (my newsfeed blocks these). Convince me and
I'll guide you through the process step by step.

cheers,
hYv

> let me be more specific:  could you explain how it's done?  What buttons
> push?  The tutorial says the same as you, but that's Greek to me.

> > Make mesh
> > Allign biped to mesh in figure mode
> > attach mesh to biped skeletton via physique modifier
> > map mesh

> > easier/quicker said than done, i admit :o)

> > hYv

> > > I can use character studio and make a biped.  I can move the biped
> around.
> > > The problem is how do I map out a skin or clothes on top of the biped?
> > > Anyone?

HELP: Character studio in 3ds max 4

Post by Mel van Viane » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 11:24:22

Character Studio, IMO, is probably the singular, most complex plugin I
have ever used with Max......even WITH the tutorials an manuals, it is
far from an intuitive application. It certainly does not lend itself to
instruction via a newsgroup, for it could take MONTHS of correapondence
to cover even the basics. In other words, although the program is very
powerful and useful, just getting the character mesh attached to the
Biped is only the beginning of the difficulties you are likely to
encounter......

I would recommend instead, that you learn to use the Bones and Skin
functions in Max.....and learn as much about IK as you can, for you will
get a better grasp of what CS is capable of doing (or what it's NOT
doing)! Once you have created 75 or 100 IK Bones heirarchies, then you
can save the ones that work for you.......you will have a basic Biped.
Practice Skinning a mesh 40 or 50 times, and you have the basics of
Physique. And, you will know the methods and means intimately....!

The only advantage you would have with CS is, the animation can be
"footstep-driven" (or not) and you can save out an animation sequence
that can be applied to any other Biped.......which may not be so much an
advantage as you still have to go in and tweak keyframes to get the
desired behaviour.....which you have to do with Bones and Skin,
regardless.....

Mel

> I can use character studio and make a biped.  I can move the biped around.
> The problem is how do I map out a skin or clothes on top of the biped?
> Anyone?

HELP: Character studio in 3ds max 4

Post by HiRe » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 11:56:19

I have the demo of poser and that looks cool and the demo of mimic.  With
mimic you play and audio file of someone talking and it animated the mouth
and head of the character in poser.  Anyone like or dislike these 2
programs?  Are there better ones?

I also saw a program that take a video from any camcorder of someone moving
and converts it into a 3d skeleton.  Looks cool, but I have not tries it out
yet.

> Character Studio, IMO, is probably the singular, most complex plugin I
> have ever used with Max......even WITH the tutorials an manuals, it is
> far from an intuitive application. It certainly does not lend itself to
> instruction via a newsgroup, for it could take MONTHS of correapondence
> to cover even the basics. In other words, although the program is very
> powerful and useful, just getting the character mesh attached to the
> Biped is only the beginning of the difficulties you are likely to
> encounter......

> I would recommend instead, that you learn to use the Bones and Skin
> functions in Max.....and learn as much about IK as you can, for you will
> get a better grasp of what CS is capable of doing (or what it's NOT
> doing)! Once you have created 75 or 100 IK Bones heirarchies, then you
> can save the ones that work for you.......you will have a basic Biped.
> Practice Skinning a mesh 40 or 50 times, and you have the basics of
> Physique. And, you will know the methods and means intimately....!

> The only advantage you would have with CS is, the animation can be
> "footstep-driven" (or not) and you can save out an animation sequence
> that can be applied to any other Biped.......which may not be so much an
> advantage as you still have to go in and tweak keyframes to get the
> desired behaviour.....which you have to do with Bones and Skin,
> regardless.....

> Mel

> > I can use character studio and make a biped.  I can move the biped
around.
> > The problem is how do I map out a skin or clothes on top of the biped?
> > Anyone?

HELP: Character studio in 3ds max 4

Post by HiRe » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 11:57:48

OK, remove the * from your ass and act like a normal person.  I have 3
books on 3ds max 4 (bible being by far the best) and nothing in them about
character studio.  Maybe poser is better?

Quote:> most of the people here tought themselves "greek" with lot of pain, time

Post by Martin Rowle » Mon, 21 Jan 2002 02:24:06

"Push the "OFF" button on your computer."

Ha! LOL.

Martin

> "What buttons do I Push?".

> Push the "OFF" button on your computer. Then go to the library and read a
> book. Even better would be to BUY a book (gotta support the CG community).
> Better still would be to take some part-time courses.

> > let me be more specific:  could you explain how it's done?  What buttons
> > push?  The tutorial says the same as you, but that's Greek to me.

> > > Make mesh
> > > Allign biped to mesh in figure mode
> > > attach mesh to biped skeletton via physique modifier
> > > map mesh

> > > easier/quicker said than done, i admit :o)

> > > hYv

> > around.

HELP: Character studio in 3ds max 4

Post by Henry Chinansk » Tue, 22 Jan 2002 15:19:53

Ok, you may have the books on 3d studio max, but you don't have legal
software. I just saw your posts on alt.binaries.3dstudio requesting FROST
and couple of other softwares. Take your warez shit elsewhere, you won't get
any help from here.

Hank

> OK, remove the * from your ass and act like a normal person.  I have 3
> books on 3ds max 4 (bible being by far the best) and nothing in them about
> character studio.  Maybe poser is better?

> > most of the people here tought themselves "greek" with lot of pain, time
> > and *!
> > -getting the software for free -as i think you did, you should make your
> > first steps alone, maybe you come back here in a year or so...

1. FS: 3DS Max and Character Studio

Great deal guys and gals!!

Max 1.2 with Character Studio, Hardware lock, manuals for both in
original packaging.

This is not a bootleg copy, TOTALLY legit, but not upgradable.

Looking for USD500.00 to take it all plus shipping.

Let me know as soon as possible.

Mark Chapman

2. Colorizing a signature??

3. 3Ds MAx 3.1 and Character Studio 2.0...

4. l-parser book?

5. fs:3DS MAX + Character Studio

6. Availibility: Radioray for Viz 2?

7. 3DS MAX + Character Studio

8. Adobe Premiere and ATI Rage Pro (resend)

9. WTB: 3DS Max 2.5 and Character Studio 2.0

10. Biped - Character Studio For 3DS MAX - Files

11. 3ds max character studio

12. Character Studio for 3ds MAX

13. FS: 3DS MAX & Character Studio