Artifacts in rendering [Attached image]

Post by Conny Klasso » Fri, 28 Feb 2003 01:15:31

I don't understand the tesselation part.
Do you have the tesselation modifier on the liquid cylinder?
How can the tesselation make the the liquid go outside the glass?
Tesselation does not change the size of objects in max.

To make transparent objects with refraction you'll need
a double-sided raytrace material.

Conny

Quote:> Hi!

> I got a problem with artifacts showing up in my render, image is attached.

> What I've got in the scene is two imported NURBS-shapes from Rhino3D. One
> cylinder with thickness supposed to later be glass, and another cylinder
> which later will become a liquid. As you can see in the images, the
> tesselation makes the mesh for the liquid go outside of the cylinder for
> the glass. The liquid needs mass because of the refraction I later plan to
> put in, otherwise I could've just used a mesh of the surface.

> If there is no way to sort in mesh, should I use another technique to put
> liquid in a container?

> --

Artifacts in rendering [Attached image]

Post by Jot » Fri, 28 Feb 2003 19:47:40

Both objects are imported from Rhino as NURBS. Since the two objects aren't
similar, the tesselation(where Max makes a renderable mesh from the NURBS-
shapes) of the liquid cylinder aren't as refined as the glass cylinder, the
mesh goes beyond it. In other words, it's more jagged than the glass
cylinder. I found one solution where as if I increase the tesselation
detail they match up, but I end up a total of 280000 or so polys(give or
take 1000 polys) =).. needless to say, rendering raytraced refractions with
two high poly objects like that will take forever.

Another solution is to mesh it out in Rhino, but then I dont get to keep
the NURBS information which I kind of need if I want to animate it(perhaps
not this project, but future ones).

Can Max z-sort? As an example, create three planes sharing the same y/z
coord in max. When rendering the last created object appears on top, the
first one appears in the bottom. What determins which object to render
first/last?

> I don't understand the tesselation part.
> Do you have the tesselation modifier on the liquid cylinder?
> How can the tesselation make the the liquid go outside the glass?
> Tesselation does not change the size of objects in max.

> To make transparent objects with refraction you'll need
> a double-sided raytrace material.

> Conny

>> Hi!

>> I got a problem with artifacts showing up in my render, image is
>> attached.

>> What I've got in the scene is two imported NURBS-shapes from Rhino3D.
>> One
>> cylinder with thickness supposed to later be glass, and another cylinder
>> which later will become a liquid. As you can see in the images, the
>> tesselation makes the mesh for the liquid go outside of the cylinder for
>> the glass. The liquid needs mass because of the refraction I later plan
>> put in, otherwise I could've just used a mesh of the surface.

>> If there is no way to sort in mesh, should I use another technique to
>> put
>> liquid in a container?

>> --
>> Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/

1. Radiosity rendering artifacts

Does anyone know why strange "square delineations/artefacts" occur in some
areas with radiosity set high - in BMRT specifically (2.4h windoze).  The
best example I can think of is the supplied "Cornell" rib.  In the top right
and left hand corners of the room you can see a faint but distinct square.
Can anyone tell me what this is?

I am new to BMRT, so I haven't the faintest as to 80% of the settings in a
rib (working on that - reading the spec. sheet at pixar).  I can't imagine
this is intentional though.  I will try and make an example of my own (hard
to do with the measly set of graphical tools available to work with - I LIKE
GUI's.......).

Cheers,

Harley Ewing.

2. Texture Map of the Week - Ice Branches

3. Rendering artifacts with Zygote wavefront format objects...

4. Announcing The Image Processing Tool Kit 4.0

5. Render Artifacts With Particles and fog.

6. What are you waiting for - go win some prizes!

7. Rendering Artifacts - Why?

8. rendering artifacts - 2.0NT

9. volume rendering + transformation + perspective = artifacts

10. Volume rendering + transformation + perspective = artifacts.

11. image map artifact in ie5

12. JPG image compression artifacts (cont)