Camera match and Aspect Ratio

Post by Matt Vor » Sat, 17 May 2003 16:07:58

Max 5.0

I'm trying to do a camera match and I'm not having much success.  I've
followed the manual and various other tutorials, but they seem to be
leaving out some questions in my eyes.

When I load my image to the background I've got three options for
Aspect Ratio, Match Viewport, Batch Viewport, and Match Rendering
Output.  Depending on which one I choose the background image changes
it size relative to the viewport.  Which one should I use?  When I
choose Match Viewport the entire image is displayed, when I choose
Match Bitmap the image is cropped a bit and I can no longer see the
entire image, same basically goes for Match Rendering Output.  I've
made the render output size be the same size as the background image
size in Rendering Options.

So basically the question is, when I'm Assigning the Position of the
CamPoints what aspect ratio of the background image should the
viewport be in?

Also, any other diamonds of information about camera matching would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-Matt

Camera match and Aspect Ratio

Post by Adrie » Sat, 17 May 2003 16:59:49

Ok... my comment here is not based on any experience with the topic, but my
guess is that you don't want to try matching your cameras on a movie that is
displayed with the wrong aspect or ratio, so obviously I would say, use the
"Match Bitmap" in order to keep the original size of the movie you wanna use
as background. Then it will be up to you to make the camera view match the
movie... if it is not displayed entirely.. try to zoom out with your camera,
if pan isn't locked, then you should be able to adjust your camera position.
I dunno about the final use of it, but I suggest you seek for more
alternatives before you use max as a camera matcher, I believe Boujou or
even Combustion would do the thing in a much better way... just a guess,
that was my two cents.

A.

Quote:> Max 5.0

> I'm trying to do a camera match and I'm not having much success.  I've
> followed the manual and various other tutorials, but they seem to be
> leaving out some questions in my eyes.

> When I load my image to the background I've got three options for
> Aspect Ratio, Match Viewport, Batch Viewport, and Match Rendering
> Output.  Depending on which one I choose the background image changes
> it size relative to the viewport.  Which one should I use?  When I
> choose Match Viewport the entire image is displayed, when I choose
> Match Bitmap the image is cropped a bit and I can no longer see the
> entire image, same basically goes for Match Rendering Output.  I've
> made the render output size be the same size as the background image
> size in Rendering Options.

> So basically the question is, when I'm Assigning the Position of the
> CamPoints what aspect ratio of the background image should the
> viewport be in?

> Also, any other diamonds of information about camera matching would be
> greatly appreciated.

> Thanks.

> -Matt

Camera match and Aspect Ratio

Post by Conny Klasso » Sat, 17 May 2003 17:53:11

Use the "Safe Frame" feature to change
the aspect ratio of the view port.

Conny

Quote:> Max 5.0

> I'm trying to do a camera match and I'm not having much success.  I've
> followed the manual and various other tutorials, but they seem to be
> leaving out some questions in my eyes.

> When I load my image to the background I've got three options for
> Aspect Ratio, Match Viewport, Batch Viewport, and Match Rendering
> Output.  Depending on which one I choose the background image changes
> it size relative to the viewport.  Which one should I use?  When I
> choose Match Viewport the entire image is displayed, when I choose
> Match Bitmap the image is cropped a bit and I can no longer see the
> entire image, same basically goes for Match Rendering Output.  I've
> made the render output size be the same size as the background image
> size in Rendering Options.

> So basically the question is, when I'm Assigning the Position of the
> CamPoints what aspect ratio of the background image should the
> viewport be in?

> Also, any other diamonds of information about camera matching would be
> greatly appreciated.

> Thanks.

> -Matt

1. Device Aspect Ratio / Pixel Aspect Ratio

Okay.. I have footage rendered in Maya. I am currently rendering out footage to overlay on that maya footage with RAT/Renderman. But, the prman footage does not line up with the maya footage back plate. I am using 720x365 .901 pixel aspect and device aspect of 1.777 in the maya footage. There is only a place to set the pixel aspect in the renderman globals, I set it to .901, I don't see anywhere to set the device aspect, I am assuming that PRMAN calculates the device aspect from the pixel aspect? Or how can I make the footage line up if the correct pixel aspect of .901 doesnt do it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    -Jamie

2. Quick calculation to find if 2 lines intersect??

3. POVRAY camera aspect ratio

4. graphics question using Paint Shop Pro

5. cylinder camera and aspect ratio

6. reducing dpi in TIFF image

7. TARGA aspect ratio problem w/ LFR Lasergraphics camera

8. Just back from Siggraph and have seen CS3 and MAX4

9. Camera's image aspect ratio?

10. Camera aspect ratio problems

11. HELP: Monitor Resolution and Aspect Ratio

12. aspect ratio