Simplified Animating, Please Help Me!!!

Post by Chris Marya » Mon, 02 Sep 1996 04:00:00

After seeing something on TV about the making of Dragonheart, I have
become reluctant about buying max, I saw a feature that would be a big
decision maker in buying a graphics package. What I saw was this, the
computer modeled dragon which probably has an incredibly complex mesh,
was being animated using a fairly simple mesh that showed only key
points on the dragon. The final result was the complex dragon
interacting with the live action. My big question is, is there something
in some 3D package somwhere (perhaps it is in 3D studio, and I have just
never seen it for all this time) that allows you to create a complex
mesh and then durring the animation process, move a simlified mesh and
have the complex mesh follow the movement of the simplified version.

I have heard that the software they were using was Canadian, what is it,
is it affordable, will it run on something other than a $10k or more
computer.

Also, the increase in detail between the simple mesh and the final
output was well beyond the reach of a bump map, so I am sure that there
had to be some kind of more complex mesh.

Please help me with my dilema, right now, animating is realy a pain in
the but, moving my characters involves spending a great deal of time
trying to figure out which part of the mesh belongs to which character,
freezing or hiding objects is out of the question because I need them to
interact closely.

Please help!

        Thanks

                Chris Maryan

                http://www.geocities.com/rainforest/3600

Post by Heinz Schulle » Mon, 02 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> My big question is, is there something in
> some 3D package somwhere (perhaps it is in 3D studio, and I have just
> never seen it for all this time) that allows you to create a complex
> mesh and then durring the animation process, move a simlified mesh and
> have the complex mesh follow the movement of the simplified version.

Errr..yeah. The Yost Group Ipas called MeshRes, works with another Ipas
called Optimize. These let you embed multiple mesh resolutions into a
single mesh file. You can use the simplified mesh during keyframing,
then render with the big kahuna.

Cheers,

-Heinz.

www.mcs.net/~heinz

Simplified Animating, Please Help Me!!!

Post by Jeff Jaspe » Tue, 03 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> After seeing something on TV about the making of Dragonheart, I have
> become reluctant about buying max, I saw a feature that would be a big
> decision maker in buying a graphics package. What I saw was this, the
> computer modeled dragon which probably has an incredibly complex mesh,
> was being animated using a fairly simple mesh that showed only key
> points on the dragon. The final result was the complex dragon
> interacting with the live action. My big question is, is there something
> in some 3D package somwhere (perhaps it is in 3D studio, and I have just
> never seen it for all this time) that allows you to create a complex
> mesh and then durring the animation process, move a simlified mesh and
> have the complex mesh follow the movement of the simplified version.

They used Softimage for the animation and Alias for most of the
modeling,plus tons of their own in-house software. Your right the mesh
was very complex, the head alone was more complex than the whole T-rex
from Jurassic Park. But to answer your question yes, you can make a very
complex model and then when animating in MAX you a low res
representation. I think this is a feature in most programs. You can even
use the low res model in shaded mode. you can also have a bone
representation of you object or a box representation if you only need to
get a general picture of the movement.
Character Studio also provides more tools for you to play with for this
kind of work too.

--
Jeff Jasper
PSP Computer Graphics and Animation

Simplified Animating, Please Help Me!!!

Post by Animated » Tue, 03 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Doesn't puppeteer have some sort of bones only mode in which you can
animate a character or somthing without the mesh visible.  The IK plugin
in 3DS has this option as well.

A complex dragon model could be keyframed using the built in IK ipas with
only the pivot points visible.  After creating you animation within IK you
then tell 3DS to calculate all the positions and apply them to your mesh
model.

Regards
Geoff
\

Post by Mike Kenne » Wed, 04 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>After seeing something on TV about the making of Dragonheart, I have
>become reluctant about buying max, I saw a feature that would be a big
>decision maker in buying a graphics package. What I saw was this, the
>computer modeled dragon which probably has an incredibly complex mesh,
>was being animated using a fairly simple mesh that showed only key
>points on the dragon. The final result was the complex dragon
>interacting with the live action. My big question is, is there something
>in some 3D package somwhere (perhaps it is in 3D studio, and I have just
>never seen it for all this time) that allows you to create a complex
>mesh and then durring the animation process, move a simlified mesh and
>have the complex mesh follow the movement of the simplified version.

>I have heard that the software they were using was Canadian, what is it,
>is it affordable, will it run on something other than a $10k or more
>computer.

>Also, the increase in detail between the simple mesh and the final
>output was well beyond the reach of a bump map, so I am sure that there
>had to be some kind of more complex mesh.

>Please help me with my dilema, right now, animating is realy a pain in
>the but, moving my characters involves spending a great deal of time
>trying to figure out which part of the mesh belongs to which character,
>freezing or hiding objects is out of the question because I need them to
>interact closely.

>Please help!

>        Thanks

>                Chris Maryan

>                http://www.geocities.com/rainforest/3600

They used Alias only for modeling, and a version of Alias able to do what they
did in Dragon Heart would cost more than 10,000. They did not animate with
Alias either, they used SoftImage. You would also require heavy duty hardware
and custom software to animate the dragon in Dragon Heart. Max could be made
to do what they did on a smaller scale using Bones based deformations in
combination with the new Free Form Deformation modifier. Most of the needed
tools are available in or for MAX, but remember that the FX in Dragon heart
were done at great expense by the most experienced crew in the CGI bis.

Post by Bryan Reynold » Wed, 04 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>After seeing something on TV about the making of Dragonheart, I have
>become reluctant about buying max, I saw a feature that would be a big
>decision maker in buying a graphics package. What I saw was this, the
>computer modeled dragon which probably has an incredibly complex mesh,
>was being animated using a fairly simple mesh that showed only key
>points on the dragon.

You can do this with r4 if you want. Although you can't see both the
versions at the same time of course (would you want to?). Just use the
replace command. The names of the replacements must be identical
else they will be ignored.
--
Bryan Reynolds

Simplified Animating, Please Help Me!!!

Post by Nat Hunte » Wed, 04 Sep 1996 04:00:00

In MAX you can play around with the optimize funtion by tweaking it to
get the resulting lower poly count mesh, or you can use character
Studio and animate only the "bones" or "avars" of the mesh, I've found
working with the CS Avars work incredibly well for animating because
you can animate in real time maintaining the general look of the mesh
even in a shaded viewport.

Nat Hunter

Simplified Animating, Please Help Me!!!

Post by Nat Hunte » Wed, 04 Sep 1996 04:00:00

In MAX you can play around with the optimize funtion by tweaking it to
get the resulting lower poly count mesh (you can still keep the
original), or you can use character Studio and animate only the
"bones" or "avars" of the mesh, I've found working with the CS Avars
work incredibly well for animating because you can animate in real
time maintaining the general look of the mesh even in a shaded
viewport. I played with both of these techniques and they work extra
wonders if you use optimize and CS.

Nat Hunter

1. PLEASE HELP HELP HELP PLEASE HELP

HELP!!!!

All of the sudden when trying to use my Kais power tools and Aldus
Gallery Effects on even the SMALLEST image it saya that It has
insufficent memory(RAM) to perform the operation. This started
happening all of the sudden with NO system changes made by myself.
I am running Photoshop 3.0.4 with win 95 and the updates to ensure
compatibility with 16 bit plugins. My Alien Skin filters seem to work
as do the Standard Photoshop filters

PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN!!!!

Thanks in advance
Lenny Terenzi

2. DirectDraw Questions Help

3. Please help with animated GIFs!!!

4. Shutterbug Magazine Complaint about PSP

5. Animated Waterfalls.... Help Please (4th post)

6. WANTED - - Website Designer

7. animated gifs help please

8. Crash Space wanted for SIGGraph(PLEASE!)

9. PLEASE Help Me Get Rid of Halo in Animated Gif

10. Please help me with Animated Gif's!

11. Animating a rotation - please help :(

12. Animate problem. Please help

13. Please help me out! : Animating problem