MAX and FIRE GL 3000

Post by Valerio Os » Tue, 18 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Has anyone out there tried the Diamond FIRE GL 3000 with more than 8 Mb of
Z-buffer with 3DS MAX. How is it?

Thanks
Valerio

MAX and FIRE GL 3000

Post by Gruh » Wed, 19 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Top res with (40mb RAM) is 1152x768 in 16.8mil.

That is not all actual video RAM though. Last I looked, the Fire would only
support 8Meg of display memory.

I am sad to see that you are having trouble with Diamond. Perhaps I will
just take the money I save elsewhere and go buy a Gloria. Thought the low
prices I can get on Fire and the single card dual monitor are tempting for
when programming... Still, I've had about enough of Diamond's drivers.

Quote:> 3D acceleration is MAX is a bit dissapointing.

This is also cause for pause for thought.

Quote:> AVi Playback is pretty bad, I think the operations to these functions
> are not accelerated like on most cards.

For the kind of money the high end cards get, you'd think they could throw
on Millenium class support for other more mundane tasks.

 - gruhn

MAX and FIRE GL 3000

Post by Jacob Huts » Wed, 19 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>Has anyone out there tried the Diamond FIRE GL 3000 with more than 8 Mb of
>Z-buffer with 3DS MAX. How is it?
>Thanks
>Valerio

Copied from my other Post!

Their drivers are a real problem! Let's face it all Diamond drivers
are bit of a worry.

I had to threaten to return the two Fire GL-3000 cards (with 40mb
memory) before I could get support on them. Turned out the texture
memory was bad, even though they had passed a QA test specificly
stating the fact the memory worked!!! Very frustrating !!!!!!

We still have problems with the driver. It works ok in MAX. Just when
you exit it crashes Max. Top res with (40mb RAM) is 1152x768 in
16.8mil. 75hz
3D acceleration is MAX is a bit dissapointing. I expected more from a
AUS$3,500 card. Howver after using the card and then going back to
software driver, you really wish you had one. The best thing is having
32mb of texture memory on the card. That extra RAM really helps with
complex scenes. Also it runs the same as any other high-end glint
card.
2d acceleration is bareable. Ok in photoshop but general screen
updates are pretty slow.
You will get upto 10,000 fully textured polys at 15-20 fps on the
screen is MAX.
AVi Playback is pretty bad, I think the operations to these functions
are not accelerated like on most cards.

Our other graphics computers use 4 or 8 mb Matrox Millenium cards.
Forget the Heidi driver, just use software. They are pretty good
general MAX cards. And fanatastic 2d windows cards.

Hope this helps

Jacob Hutson
Studio Manager
Auran Pty Ltd
http://www.auran.com

MAX and FIRE GL 3000

Post by Jacob Huts » Thu, 20 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>> Top res with (40mb RAM) is 1152x768 in 16.8mil.
>That is not all actual video RAM though. Last I looked, the Fire would only
>support 8Meg of display memory.

Forgot to mention the card comes with 8mb VRAM and 32mb DRAM for
texture memory.

Quote:>I am sad to see that you are having trouble with Diamond. Perhaps I will
>just take the money I save elsewhere and go buy a Gloria. Thought the low
>prices I can get on Fire and the single card dual monitor are tempting for
>when programming... Still, I've had about enough of Diamond's drivers.
>> 3D acceleration is MAX is a bit dissapointing.
>This is also cause for pause for thought.

Yeah, but it's no quicker than any other high end card (I have not
seen the Intergraph Intense yet! But will be very soon!). I did
qualify this (I think) by saying that after using the Glint card going
back to software drivers made a considerable difference (just maybe
not worth $3,500)

Quote:>> AVi Playback is pretty bad, I think the operations to these functions
>> are not accelerated like on most cards.
>For the kind of money the high end cards get, you'd think they could throw
>on Millenium class support for other more mundane tasks.

You bet! Some of the cards put 2d accelerator chipsets specifically to
solve this. Probably would have caused more problems if Diamond put
the 968 on this card thou. I am kinda glad they didn't.

Still waiting on a patch for the Fire GL to fix my problems. It's been
about 3 months now.

Quote:> - gruhn

Jacob

MAX and FIRE GL 3000

Post by Gruh » Thu, 20 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Yeah, but it's no quicker than any other high end card

Ah. I was pleasantly impressed with the Gloria I saw.

Quote:> I did qualify this (I think) by saying that after using the Glint card

going

You did.

Quote:> Still waiting on a patch for the Fire GL to fix my problems. It's been
> about 3 months now.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

1. Fire GL 3000 and Stealth 3D 3000

I have Stealth 3D 3000 and I'm getting a Diamond Fire GL 3000.  How
would I hook the two up?  I want the VGA (photoshop) to go through my
Stealth on one monitor and the Open GL (softimage nt) to the Fire GL on
another monitor.

The Fire GL has a "optional VGA loop through input via external mini-DIN
connector."  Is this my answer?

Thanks in advance!

2. Complex shape collision detection

3. fisheye equations in PovRay

4. FS : Fire GL 3000 and Elsa Gloria L Open GL cards

5. Here's info on the DXF format

6. FS: Fire GL 3000 with 40MB RAM

7. AVI Graphics Format Overview

8. Fire gl 3000

9. Diamond Fire GL 3000 card

10. Diamond Fire GL 3000 8/8 (Glint 500TX)

11. Diamond Fire GL 3000???