problems dual celerons @550 in MAX

Post by Jarle Presttu » Sun, 12 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I have just got a new system with a BP6 mainboard and two 366 celerons.

I have bought a 3D Studio Max R3 upgrade, and everything i running fine
at 366. I can render nonstop for hours. But when I exit NT, enter the
BIOS and over-clock (100 MHz, x5.5), Max just disappears after about 15
minutes of rendring. NT is still running, but  Max is gone!

I have tried with my own scenes, the scenes that comes with Max, but the
same thing happens every time.

I hope someone can help.

Best regards, Jarle Presttun.

problems dual celerons @550 in MAX

Post by Ian Skinne » Mon, 13 Sep 1999 04:00:00

it's very simple . don't over clock man , your system is NOT stable at
that speed ?? man I hope you told you computer dea;er what you were
doing . and told the MAX people ... it will give them something to laugh
about and you'll make it onto the dorks wall of shame ...

> I have just got a new system with a BP6 mainboard and two 366 celerons.

> I have bought a 3D Studio Max R3 upgrade, and everything i running fine
> at 366. I can render nonstop for hours. But when I exit NT, enter the
> BIOS and over-clock (100 MHz, x5.5), Max just disappears after about 15
> minutes of rendring. NT is still running, but  Max is gone!

> I have tried with my own scenes, the scenes that comes with Max, but the
> same thing happens every time.

> I hope someone can help.

> Best regards, Jarle Presttun.

Ian Skinner
ARQUEBUS ENTERTAINMENT
CANADA
1(705)737-3636
fax1(705)722-6908

problems dual celerons @550 in MAX

Post by stephen gilber » Mon, 13 Sep 1999 04:00:00

get yourself 2 celeron 500's...very cheap now..no need for o-clocking..

btw what g card r u using?
stee+catz

problems dual celerons @550 in MAX

Post by Nigel J. Carro » Mon, 13 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I have just got a new system with a BP6 mainboard and two 366 celerons.

You are using Alpha or Global win Coolers and NOT the standard issue
Intel coolers??
Nigel J. Carron
Aberdeenshire
Scotland

problems dual celerons @550 in MAX

Post by Jarle Presttu » Mon, 13 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the feedback.

I am using two fans on each prosessor (2x2 Cooler Master TP5-5020BC1).  I
don't think the temperature is any problem. If that was the problem the
machine would just crach, wouldn't it?
Earlier today I also tried 416 Mhz (75 MHz, x5.5) , that worked just as
stable as with no overclocking (366), only faster :-)

I have just ordered an Elsa Synergy II card with 32 Mb RAM. It takes some
time to get it here in Norway (maybe a week), so for now I'm only using an
ATI Rage Pro 8 Mb card, connected to the PCI-bus (!). I've been thinking
that can be the problem. When you overclock, you increece the bus-speed,
that again affects PCI/AGP. Maybe running a PCI graphics card at 100 MHz
bus, is some thing Max don't like?
I will give some feedback if ELSA solves all my problems.

Best regards, Jarle Presttun.

problems dual celerons @550 in MAX

Post by Nigel J. Carro » Mon, 13 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Maybe running a PCI graphics card at 100 MHz
>bus, is some thing Max don't like?

Shouldn't be a problem - PCI bus at 100Mhz FSB is same speed as at 66MHz
FSB.. ie 100/3 is same as 66/2.. I am running an Asus TNT 3400 display
card..
Nigel J. Carron
Aberdeenshire
Scotland

problems dual celerons @550 in MAX

Post by Davy » Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I don't know if a 366 can handle 550, but i suppose you did some research
first and know it can be done.
First : not ALL of the celeron's can be oc'ed succesfully. there's not
really a rule to it. some do some don't. I had to try 2 celeron's before i
found one that ran 450. You could also have a voltage problem ( higher
speeds = weaker signals ). try increasing the core voltage to to 2.2 (but
not higher)
Also, in dual-systems it's often that both cpu's should be identical
 stepping's ), try to find cpu's with almost identical serials.

D.

problems dual celerons @550 in MAX

Post by Jarle Presttu » Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I think I found a stable combination for multiplier and bus speed with dual
366 on an Abit BP6 mainboard: x5.5 and 95 MHz. This results in a dual 523.

I have renderd a large scene in Max3 without any problems. (1h23m).

I tried Davys tip, by increasing the core voltage to 2.10 (not to 2.20).
When I looked at the "BIOS features setup" I noticed that the core voltage
wasn't stable. At 2.10 it changed from 2.08 to 2.17 (!), so I didn't have
the balls to experiment to much with my brand new system. I read in the
manual that experimenting with the core voltage wasn't recomended at all.
Anyway, at 2.10 core voltage Max crached even faster (after 5 minutes) ?!
That was strange because I haven't only heard from Davy that increasing the
core voltage would make the system more stable.

I think I'll just run on dual 523 until someone gets a bright idea with dual

550.

Best regards, Jarle Presttun.

problems dual celerons @550 in MAX

Post by Gaylord Bo » Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>I think I found a stable combination for multiplier and bus speed with dual
>366 on an Abit BP6 mainboard: x5.5 and 95 MHz. This results in a dual 523.

Are you running the PCI bus at 2/3 main bus speed?  I guess 31.67 is
PRETTY close to 33 Mhz, but your hard drive may get flakey.

Quote:>I read in the
>manual that experimenting with the core voltage wasn't recomended at all.

Typical corporate CYA.  =-)

Quote:>Anyway, at 2.10 core voltage Max crached even faster (after 5 minutes) ?!

This makes it hotter, which makes it sound like your problem might be
heat related. Are you using thermal paste between the
processors/heatsink or the "thermal" tape?  Paste is WAY better.

Quote:>That was strange because I haven't only heard from Davy that increasing the
>core voltage would make the system more stable.

It does... BUT it makes it generate more heat as well, which you must
get rid of.

You might want to check out:

http://www.3dcool.com/
http://www.computernerd.com/
http://www.sysopt.com/
http://www.heatsink-guide.com/
http://www.bxboards.com/
http://www.overclockers.com/
http://www.sysopsolutions.com/Articles/Liquid_Cooling/Liquid_Cooling.cfm
http://www.coolerguys.com/
http://www.hardocp.com/index.html

====================
This is a true story
Gaylord Boxx
====================

problems dual celerons @550 in MAX

Post by Jarle Presttu » Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:00:00

thanks...  I'm using paste + two fans per prosessor... so I'm pretty safe,
right?

--
---------------------------------
  Jarle Presttun

---------------------------------

problems dual celerons @550 in MAX

Post by tim how » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

wtf

> >I have just got a new system with a BP6 mainboard and two 366 celerons.

> You are using Alpha or Global win Coolers and NOT the standard issue
> Intel coolers??
> Nigel J. Carron
> Aberdeenshire
> Scotland

problems dual celerons @550 in MAX

Post by Nigel J. Carro » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>wtf

better cooling fans/heatsinks as the often supplied Intel ones don't do
the job well enough..
Nigel J. Carron
Aberdeenshire
Scotland