Win 98 vs Win NT

Post by Matthew Clementso » Fri, 17 Aug 2001 10:00:50

If you don't ever need to play games on your machine go with NT - it's
memory management is a lot better, you'll get a much more stable
performance. If you need games then consider W2K otherwise you'll have
to go with Win 98.

Matt :)

Win 98 vs Win NT

Post by Happy Chapp » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 06:57:58

Quote:> After I overhaul my computer, I'm thinking, what should I install on my
> PC PII 350 with 484MB SDRAM to obtain better performance, speed and
> stabiltiy ....Windows 98 SE or Windows NT?  I use alot of graphic
> programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator and 3D Studio MAX etc, interent
> and movie watching, and scanning.
> Advice please?
> Alex

NT all the way, faster and more stable. You could do a dual boot with NT and
98 but you'd have to have your hard drive's file system as standard FAT.
Best go out and buy yourself a copy of Win2k pro although a P2-350 might
labor a bit under 2k.

Quote:

> PS is it not true that having loads of SDRAM (over 256MB) is useless
> when using Win 98? I would also like to make the most out of my RAM
> too...

Win98's memory management sucks bigtime. You should note that Win9x was
never really built for running big greedy graphics apps such as Max and
Photoshop it was only really meant as a platform for those silly office apps
and games.

Cheers

-Tom

Win 98 vs Win NT

Post by Mark Jone » Sun, 19 Aug 2001 02:21:55

 My 2 lyra...

Quote:

> NT all the way, faster and more stable. You could do a dual boot with NT and
> 98 but you'd have to have your hard drive's file system as standard FAT.
> Best go out and buy yourself a copy of Win2k pro although a P2-350 might
> labor a bit under 2k.

 I just upgraded Win95b to Win2k on an AMD 300mhz (not Athlon) and it actually
starts up faster than win 95, imagine that. SCSI devices and Raids will slow
down W2k startup appreciably, however.

Quote:

> > PS is it not true that having loads of SDRAM (over 256MB) is useless
> > when using Win 98? I would also like to make the most out of my RAM
> > too...

> Win98's memory management sucks bigtime. You should note that Win9x was
> never really built for running big greedy graphics apps such as Max and
> Photoshop it was only really meant as a platform for those silly office apps
> and games.

 I've been using Max 4 on Win98se for awhile now. As long as you save often,
this *can* be done - but It does crash regularly however. Even with 384mb of
ram, Win98 does a piss-poor job of running Max, so it's almost mandatory to
transition to 2000...
Quote:> Cheers

> -Tom

Win 98 vs Win NT

Post by Lizard Head C » Sun, 19 Aug 2001 14:12:41

Same boat,, I have a dual 400pII with a half gig ram sitting on the
board, I have found NT with service pack 6 to be the best and MAX runs
great, every other graphic program you can think of runs great on it
cept for media studio,, but all of the ADOBE programs run great,,
Premier 5, After FX 4.1, all of the Macromedia Programs run great ,,
there is no reason not to run NT.

lizard

> After I overhaul my computer, I'm thinking, what should I install on my
> PC PII 350 with 484MB SDRAM to obtain better performance, speed and
> stabiltiy ....Windows 98 SE or Windows NT?  I use alot of graphic
> programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator and 3D Studio MAX etc, interent
> and movie watching, and scanning.
> Advice please?
> Alex

> PS is it not true that having loads of SDRAM (over 256MB) is useless
> when using Win 98? I would also like to make the most out of my RAM
> too...

Win 98 vs Win NT

Post by Leande » Sun, 19 Aug 2001 19:43:44

If you run music- / sound- / midi- programs Win NT becomes a problem,
since they don't work well on NT - but if you install WinNT from Win98
(without de-installing Win98), you get a bootmanager and can choose each
time which operating system (98 or NT) you want to use...

But Windows2000 (not Windows ME!) works fine for about everything...

cheers,
Leander.

--

Enlighten your imagination!

Inlume CG-Workgroup
www.inlume.com

Win 98 vs Win NT

Post by Mark Jone » Tue, 21 Aug 2001 00:41:57

 Expanding on this, Adobe Premiere 6 has proven VERY unstable on 98, but works
great on Win2k.

 NT/2k is just plain better technology.
 Uhh, except for Linux, of course.  : )

> Same boat,, I have a dual 400pII with a half gig ram sitting on the
> board, I have found NT with service pack 6 to be the best and MAX runs
> great, every other graphic program you can think of runs great on it
> cept for media studio,, but all of the ADOBE programs run great,,
> Premier 5, After FX 4.1, all of the Macromedia Programs run great ,,
> there is no reason not to run NT.

> lizard

Quote:> > After I overhaul my computer, I'm thinking, what should I install on my
> > PC PII 350 with 484MB SDRAM to obtain better performance, speed and
> > stabiltiy ....Windows 98 SE or Windows NT?  I use alot of graphic
> > programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator and 3D Studio MAX etc, interent
> > and movie watching, and scanning.
> > Advice please?
> > Alex

> > PS is it not true that having loads of SDRAM (over 256MB) is useless
> > when using Win 98? I would also like to make the most out of my RAM
> > too...

1. WIN 98 vs WIN NT

Not knowing what kind of graphics card you have, I would say Windows 98 is
your best choice since there are more graphics card choices. Also I have heard
it is difficult to get USB working under Windows-NT.

The 256MB memory limit is a fairy-tale. I have 400MB of memory on my PC and
frequently work with images so large, all of the memory is used. One problem
you may run in to on older PC motherboards is the inability of the built in
cache memory (speeds reads and writes to the CPU) to cache reads of memory
addresses above 64MB. This can cause PC's performance will slow down when
large amounts of data are moved through the CPU at once -- such as resampling
an image, or applying an effect to a very large image. Since you have a PII
you are most likely not affected. See;
http://www.zdnet.com/pccomp/features/excl1098/superguide/tips-hardwar...

2. HELP ME !!!

3. Win 98 or Win NT

4. FS: DIAMOND STEALTH 3D / STB VELOCITY 3D VID ACCELERATORS

5. It works in Win 98 but not in Win NT

6. hidden line removal

7. Bitmap Refresh Win 98 OK, Win NT Not?

8. Win 2000 vs Win 98 for PS

9. Win 95 vs Win NT?

10. various icons for Win 95/98/NT

11. VTK and Win NT/98 OpenGL problems

12. FS: Adobe After Effects 3.1 Production Bundle for Win NT/98 Factory Sealed