3dsmax->targa->Premiere->avi?

Post by Eric Smi » Tue, 27 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hey

I read in a post here earlier (sorry, I don't recall whose or when it
was) that MAX's (v1.2 - still saving up for r2) avi output is less
than stellar.  The person recommended outputting the renderings to
targas, and then putting them all together with Premiere.  No problem
except that I only have about a gig free on my drives right now and in
order to keep all of those targas, I have them zipped and on a
seperate server.  So I can only do so many at a time - I just got
Premiere (v4.2) and am really not that familiar with it yet - can I
make several avi's (say 12 or so) and then later combine them all
together to make one - it seems easily feasible (I can do it on a
Media 100 - but those are school computers an are harder to get time
on than my own - of course), but perhaps I'm not looking in the right
places under the documentation...

Anyone want to tell me if I'm way off base here?  Or is the avi output
of MAX really not that bad (this isn't for broadcast or anything, just
a 2 min video that I am doing for an independant art project here).

thanks,

Eric Smith '99

(I check e-mail more frequently than I do the newsgroups simply due to
time constraints)

(remove the spam for e-mail)

3dsmax->targa->Premiere->avi?

Post by Glen Murph » Wed, 28 Jan 1998 04:00:00

MAX's .avi output is fine, just turn off compression, and yes, premiere does
let you combine multiple .avis into one.
--
Glen Murphy
Editor

Quote:>So I can only do so many at a time - I just got
>Premiere (v4.2) and am really not that familiar with it yet - can I
>make several avi's (say 12 or so) and then later combine them all
>together to make one - it seems easily feasible (I can do it on a
>Media 100 - but those are school computers an are harder to get time
>on than my own - of course), but perhaps I'm not looking in the right
>places under the documentation...

>Anyone want to tell me if I'm way off base here?  Or is the avi output
>of MAX really not that bad (this isn't for broadcast or anything, just
>a 2 min video that I am doing for an independant art project here).

3dsmax->targa->Premiere->avi?

Post by Isaack Rasmusse » Wed, 28 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi

Or use Max under NT, and use RLE(Autodesk or Microsoft), compression, and
youll get perfect picture quality, but offcourse, youll get a pretty big
file.

--
Isaack "Geniue" Rasmussen

http://www.geniue.person.dk

"Hey maaan... Are you seeing those green men tooo!"

Quote:> MAX's .avi output is fine, just turn off compression, and yes, premiere

Post by James Boxal » Wed, 28 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Hey

> I read in a post here earlier (sorry, I don't recall whose or when it
> was) that MAX's (v1.2 - still saving up for r2) avi output is less
> than stellar.  ----

> Eric Smith '99

> (I check e-mail more frequently than I do the newsgroups simply due to
> time constraints)

> (remove the spam for e-mail)

What I do is this.

Render a sequence to tga's then compress them using Intel Indeo video
Interactive
compressor to AVI format in premiere. This will seriously squeeze down the

storage space required for the tga's and still maintain the image quality.

Erase the tga's when the AVI is finished. Then you can edit all the AVI's
together to your final movie.

That how I put together a 5 minute animation on 8Gig of hard disk at
640x480 res
25 fps.

3dsmax->targa->Premiere->avi?

Post by mark knopfle » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

But arent you recompressing the avis? double compression will really lose a
lot of detail...

MK

>> Hey

>> I read in a post here earlier (sorry, I don't recall whose or when it
>> was) that MAX's (v1.2 - still saving up for r2) avi output is less
>> than stellar.  ----

>> Eric Smith '99

>> (I check e-mail more frequently than I do the newsgroups simply due to
>> time constraints)

>> (remove the spam for e-mail)

>What I do is this.

>Render a sequence to tga's then compress them using Intel Indeo video
>Interactive
>compressor to AVI format in premiere. This will seriously squeeze down the

>storage space required for the tga's and still maintain the image quality.

>Erase the tga's when the AVI is finished. Then you can edit all the AVI's
>together to your final movie.

>That how I put together a 5 minute animation on 8Gig of hard disk at
>640x480 res
>25 fps.

3dsmax->targa->Premiere->avi?

Post by ekma » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

how do i make the tga to a avi??
/ben

Quote:>Render a sequence to tga's then compress them using Intel Indeo video
>Interactive

3dsmax->targa->Premiere->avi?

Post by dave » Sun, 08 Feb 1998 04:00:00

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998 21:25:43 GMT,

>how do i make the tga to a avi??
>/ben

You can do it in MAX via video post, but that is a fraction fiddly.
Its all in the help file.

If you have premiere, you simply open (as stream of targas), start a
new project, drop onto the timeline, adjust the speed to 2500% of 25
fps PAL, or 2400% for NTSC etc etc and make movie as specified AVI.

I have written a WinBatch script to do it overnight, so  it is not as
painful as it sounds.