Anybody help with an animation query

Post by PA TD » Tue, 03 Apr 2001 18:24:11

Can anybody help me out???

I'm new to Max and am creating a space scene.  I have managed to draw all
the planets and map them individually with no problems.  I have created the
space backdrop using the noise function.  What I now hope to do is have a
camera simulating a spaceships front view and provide some animation.

However this is where I come unstuck.  I want to have the planets so that
when the animation is running the first planet comes into view at a distance
and then grows as the ship gets nearer (as it would in real life).  As the
ship passes the first planet the next one comes into view in the distance
and grows as the ship gets nearer and so on.  I hope to do this for each of
the planets before the ship crashes into the sun with a mass explosion
effect.  How can I do this????  Is it possible????

Its the placing of the planets on the scene that is one of the problems for
me.  To be able to place them far enough apart on the scene so that they
come into view is proving a challenge.

Can anybody please help me with this problem.  I would be eternally grateful
for some wisdom.

Cheers

Anybody help with an animation query

Post by chimerau » Wed, 04 Apr 2001 17:25:51

Quote:> Can anybody help me out???

> I'm new to Max and am creating a space scene.  I have managed to draw all
> the planets and map them individually with no problems.  I have created
the
> space backdrop using the noise function.  What I now hope to do is have a
> camera simulating a spaceships front view and provide some animation.

> However this is where I come unstuck.  I want to have the planets so that
> when the animation is running the first planet comes into view at a
distance
> and then grows as the ship gets nearer (as it would in real life).  As the
> ship passes the first planet the next one comes into view in the distance
> and grows as the ship gets nearer and so on.  I hope to do this for each
of
> the planets before the ship crashes into the sun with a mass explosion
> effect.  How can I do this????  Is it possible????

> Its the placing of the planets on the scene that is one of the problems
for
> me.  To be able to place them far enough apart on the scene so that they
> come into view is proving a challenge.

> Can anybody please help me with this problem.  I would be eternally
grateful
> for some wisdom.

> Cheers

Instead of placing them so far apart, place them a little closer together
and animate the scale instead. You might want to try using Video Post for
the starfield as it's animatable and it looks good with motion blur too....

Chris......

Anybody help with an animation query

Post by Douglas Elliso » Wed, 04 Apr 2001 17:50:27

I'd STRONGLY advise against using the video post starfield - it's quick to
render, sure, but it jitters around, is far too bright etc... try using one
of the maps from

http://maps.jpl.nasa.gov

Doug

> > Can anybody help me out???

> > I'm new to Max and am creating a space scene.  I have managed to draw
all
> > the planets and map them individually with no problems.  I have created
> the
> > space backdrop using the noise function.  What I now hope to do is have
> > camera simulating a spaceships front view and provide some animation.

> > However this is where I come unstuck.  I want to have the planets so
that
> > when the animation is running the first planet comes into view at a
> distance
> > and then grows as the ship gets nearer (as it would in real life).  As
the
> > ship passes the first planet the next one comes into view in the
distance
> > and grows as the ship gets nearer and so on.  I hope to do this for each
> of
> > the planets before the ship crashes into the sun with a mass explosion
> > effect.  How can I do this????  Is it possible????

> > Its the placing of the planets on the scene that is one of the problems
> for
> > me.  To be able to place them far enough apart on the scene so that they
> > come into view is proving a challenge.

> > Can anybody please help me with this problem.  I would be eternally
> grateful
> > for some wisdom.

> > Cheers

> Instead of placing them so far apart, place them a little closer together
> and animate the scale instead. You might want to try using Video Post for
> the starfield as it's animatable and it looks good with motion blur
too....

> Chris......

1. Video/animation queries - please help!

Can anyone please help me with a few questions relating to
video/animation work on the Macintosh.

I currently have access to a PowerMac 8100/80 AV, however the
gentleman who owns it cannot help me with specific questions:

1. Can you input video from a video recorder? It appears that it
requires further hardware options.

2. The PowerMac is fitted out with 32mb RAM. What picture quality
and frame rate can I expect to receive while inputing video? i.e. will
it be good enough so that I can then output to video?

3. I have had Adobe Premier and Strata StudioPro recommended to me
as two packages that will allow for good video editing and animation.
Unfortunately I have not seen any detailed reviews on either
of these packages. Does anyone use these, and what do peaople think
of them?

4. I have been told that Premier allows for some good transitions
within video; what about allowing the layering of 3D/2D graphics
over video (for example if you want a flying logo or 3D animation
composited directly over the video frames)?

5. Finally, how much disk space will I require for a particular
amount of video?

Any help would be greatly appreciated (if possible could you

Thanks

--
               George Pantela
   CSIRO Division of Biomolecular Engineering

2. help

3. Field-rendered POVRAY animation query

4. Median Cut, How does it work (for Colours, as used in QuickDraw??)

5. Animation Query - MPEG & AVI output

6. BitBlt question - modifying a background color

7. Comp. Animation Query

8. In search of a few good binaries...

9. PODA (animation system from Ohio State) query

10. Query: Graphics/Animation Journals?

11. Query: Best Win95 animation software

12. animation query....

13. animation query