ANIMATING VERTS ON SPLINES WITH SURFACE MOD

ANIMATING VERTS ON SPLINES WITH SURFACE MOD

Post by Pete The Swee » Sat, 04 May 2002 22:26:09

I'm doing some lip-synch on a face built from splines with a surface
modifier on top. The lip synch is going well, but the vertices behaviour
between keys is unpredictable, I think this has to do with a default bezier
controller applied or something. Does anyone know how to get the vertices to
behave normally between keys? Can this be set up in advance?
Cheers folks.

ANIMATING VERTS ON SPLINES WITH SURFACE MOD

Post by Eyebyt » Sun, 05 May 2002 05:34:13

You can default the interpolation to linear, this will prevent the
overshoot. After, you can always convert back to Bezier to smooth it out.

You could also try a script found at
http://www.comet-cartoons.com/toons/maxscript.cfm the keymanager  (ver 4.4)
will allow easy adjustments and prevent the overshoot.

Rich

Quote:> I'm doing some lip-synch on a face built from splines with a surface
> modifier on top. The lip synch is going well, but the vertices behaviour
> between keys is unpredictable, I think this has to do with a default
bezier
> controller applied or something. Does anyone know how to get the vertices
> behave normally between keys? Can this be set up in advance?
> Cheers folks.

ANIMATING VERTS ON SPLINES WITH SURFACE MOD

Post by Pete The Swee » Mon, 06 May 2002 00:02:50

How do I default interpolation to linear??

> You can default the interpolation to linear, this will prevent the
> overshoot. After, you can always convert back to Bezier to smooth it out.

> You could also try a script found at
> http://www.comet-cartoons.com/toons/maxscript.cfm the keymanager  (ver
4.4)
> will allow easy adjustments and prevent the overshoot.

> Rich

> > I'm doing some lip-synch on a face built from splines with a surface
> > modifier on top. The lip synch is going well, but the vertices behaviour
> > between keys is unpredictable, I think this has to do with a default
> bezier
> > controller applied or something. Does anyone know how to get the
vertices
> > behave normally between keys? Can this be set up in advance?
> > Cheers folks.

ANIMATING VERTS ON SPLINES WITH SURFACE MOD

Post by Eyebyt » Mon, 06 May 2002 01:20:06

If you're using a Morpher modifier, just add some animation, and then go and
change the interpolation on the morph target from a bezier float to a linear
float in trackview.  By defaut, it is a Bezier float. If you are just moving
verts around, I don't really know.  You coud change the vert's interpolation
to a point 3 XYZ, and then change each of the X,Y and Z axis to Linear the
same way (moprpher modifier is the way to go IMO)

Since you're using the Surface Mod, (and I guess not using Morpher) I guess
you're manipulating verts, so you will have to try the point3XYZ controller.
Use the Set as default option before you start animating so that you don't
have to convert 300 verts to the new interpolation.  Each vert will then
have seperate tracks for XY and Z...convert them all to linear.

PS...use morpher, you'll be amazed at your end results and just how easy it
is.

Hope this helps
Rich

> How do I default interpolation to linear??

> > You can default the interpolation to linear, this will prevent the
> > overshoot. After, you can always convert back to Bezier to smooth it
out.

> > You could also try a script found at
> > http://www.comet-cartoons.com/toons/maxscript.cfm the keymanager  (ver
> 4.4)
> > will allow easy adjustments and prevent the overshoot.

> > Rich

> > > I'm doing some lip-synch on a face built from splines with a surface
> > > modifier on top. The lip synch is going well, but the vertices
behaviour
> > > between keys is unpredictable, I think this has to do with a default
> > bezier
> > > controller applied or something. Does anyone know how to get the
> vertices
> > > behave normally between keys? Can this be set up in advance?
> > > Cheers folks.

ANIMATING VERTS ON SPLINES WITH SURFACE MOD

Cheers mate, it does