daylight indoors radiosity

daylight indoors radiosity

Post by gruh » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:00:43



No time right now to go in depth. I'm working on a small house
(www.hwb.com/gruhn/3d/20x20) now with all the interior lights off and only
one sun and one sky for light. I've added the extra windows 'round the back
that the plan demanded anyway. Sun is coming in on the side w/
bed/bath/kitchen. The living room is lit only by sun bounced from the
kitchen and by sky from the fairly large front windows. While I know that
the sun is much brighter than the sky, I'm having trouble getting any
visible light in the living room. Beyond that I'm having trouble getting
nice looking renders much of anywhere in the house. Even the kitchen the
light falls off too quickly from the door. It's all white and only ten feet.

I am working with autoexposure and I have turned up my sky, but I'm getting
so far away from default values that I worry that I'm just plain going about
it wrong.

Anybody with experience at setting up daylit interiors? Did I miss the
totally useful section in the docs? Maybe in a couple weeks I can manage to
post more detail.

Thanks

 - gruhn

 
 
 

daylight indoors radiosity

Post by Martin Rowle » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 22:25:45


Don't have any info on your lighting problem, but I do have some
comments on the house layout. #1, is the fact that you have
egress to the bedroom via going through the bath room. That's
not a good idea. #2, is that for a small house you have three
"wet" walls, there should be some way of combining at least two
of these if not all three. #3, you have no closet space to speak
of (I'm assuming the area opposite the bed is a open wardrobe
area). As your design stands right now, there should be a window
over the sink, that is unless this is some sort of track house
or apartment unit. There are a lot of studio apartment layouts
that have pretty much the same sq. footage - you might take a
look at a few of them. Most of them would have a combination
living/sleeping space instead of the two separate spaces.

Just some comments - fwiw.

Martin


> No time right now to go in depth. I'm working on a small house
> (www.hwb.com/gruhn/3d/20x20) now with all the interior lights off and only
> one sun and one sky for light. I've added the extra windows 'round the back
> that the plan demanded anyway. Sun is coming in on the side w/
> bed/bath/kitchen. The living room is lit only by sun bounced from the
> kitchen and by sky from the fairly large front windows. While I know that
> the sun is much brighter than the sky, I'm having trouble getting any
> visible light in the living room. Beyond that I'm having trouble getting
> nice looking renders much of anywhere in the house. Even the kitchen the
> light falls off too quickly from the door. It's all white and only ten feet.

> I am working with autoexposure and I have turned up my sky, but I'm getting
> so far away from default values that I worry that I'm just plain going about
> it wrong.

> Anybody with experience at setting up daylit interiors? Did I miss the
> totally useful section in the docs? Maybe in a couple weeks I can manage to
> post more detail.

> Thanks

>  - gruhn


 
 
 

daylight indoors radiosity

Post by gruh » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 01:33:03


Quote:> #1, is the fact that you have egress to the bedroom via going

I'll pass your comments on to the designer. Fortunately I don't have to
worry about that this time through.

Quote:> #2, is that for a small house you have three "wet" walls

I brought that up. Nobody else complained.

Quote:> #3, you have no closet space to speak of

The owner/designer has this idea about a bin system. Apparently already uses
it and wouldn't go back. I threw the vanity and kitchen cabinets in myself.

Quote:> (I'm assuming the area opposite the bed is a open wardrobe

Right there, yup.

Quote:> As your design stands right now, there should be a window
> over the sink, that is unless this is some sort of track house

I'm a big fan of windows, myself but he only showed the two in the living
room. Though I'm currently working with it with a few more windows ;-)
 
 
 

daylight indoors radiosity

Post by Nick » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:15:38


Gruhn, regarless of your issues it looks great! Good luck with finishing.


Quote:> > #1, is the fact that you have egress to the bedroom via going

> I'll pass your comments on to the designer. Fortunately I don't have to
> worry about that this time through.

> > #2, is that for a small house you have three "wet" walls

> I brought that up. Nobody else complained.

> > #3, you have no closet space to speak of

> The owner/designer has this idea about a bin system. Apparently already
uses
> it and wouldn't go back. I threw the vanity and kitchen cabinets in
myself.

> > (I'm assuming the area opposite the bed is a open wardrobe

> Right there, yup.

> > As your design stands right now, there should be a window
> > over the sink, that is unless this is some sort of track house

> I'm a big fan of windows, myself but he only showed the two in the living
> room. Though I'm currently working with it with a few more windows ;-)

 
 
 

daylight indoors radiosity

Post by gruh » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 16:57:29


Quote:> Gruhn, regarless of your issues it looks great! Good luck with finishing.

Thanks. A bit of motivation is a fine thing.