bones loop in 3DMax

Post by Sergey Yakovle » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 00:42:03

Hi All,
Can someone suggest me how to build closed loop, using bones hierarhy?
I'd like to get a inverse kinematic dynamic model of hinged character that
looks like a ring from hinges.

What can I construct is only a tree based hierarhy, caused by "parent-child"
relations principals in 3DMax.

bones loop in 3DMax

Post by Darrel Hoffma » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 02:05:43

Quote:> Can someone suggest me how to build closed loop, using bones hierarhy?
> I'd like to get a inverse kinematic dynamic model of hinged character that
> looks like a ring from hinges.

> What can I construct is only a tree based hierarhy, caused by "parent-child"
> relations principals in 3DMax.

IK, by it's very nature, is parent-child based.  This is one of the major faults with it, I think.  You may have to come up with
another way to animate this character.  Perhaps you could have the looped part on a path constraint, and any appendages or whatever
could be attached to that with bones, but bones hierarchy is ancestor dependant by it's very nature.  (Thus the term "heirarchy",
meaning there's always somebody at the top...)

bones loop in 3DMax

Post by shu » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 01:01:17

for one of the Pivots, use a "bind to object" found in the IK rollout, this
will get you the closed loop

Shu
www.yetipc.com
http://66.216.73.199/

Quote:> Hi All,
> Can someone suggest me how to build closed loop, using bones hierarhy?
> I'd like to get a inverse kinematic dynamic model of hinged character that
> looks like a ring from hinges.

> What can I construct is only a tree based hierarhy, caused by
"parent-child"
> relations principals in 3DMax.

bones loop in 3DMax

Post by Arkla » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 04:12:49

wouldnt linkingthe last bone in the chain to a dummy, and the dummy to the
first bone work? maybe?

Quote:> > Can someone suggest me how to build closed loop, using bones hierarhy?
> > I'd like to get a inverse kinematic dynamic model of hinged character
that
> > looks like a ring from hinges.

> > What can I construct is only a tree based hierarhy, caused by
"parent-child"
> > relations principals in 3DMax.

> IK, by it's very nature, is parent-child based.  This is one of the major

faults with it, I think.  You may have to come up with
Quote:> another way to animate this character.  Perhaps you could have the looped

part on a path constraint, and any appendages or whatever
Quote:> could be attached to that with bones, but bones hierarchy is ancestor

dependant by it's very nature.  (Thus the term "heirarchy",
Quote:> meaning there's always somebody at the top...)

bones loop in 3DMax

Post by Sergey Yakovle » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:25:32

it works, but all objects in my bones structure are "frozen" in that case.
I can only rotate and move in reference to bounded pivot. So, I can't
realize dynamic behavior of my model when I move or rotate intermediate
objects in structure.

> for one of the Pivots, use a "bind to object" found in the IK rollout,
this
> will get you the closed loop

> --
> Shu
> www.yetipc.com
> http://66.216.73.199/

> > Hi All,
> > Can someone suggest me how to build closed loop, using bones hierarhy?
> > I'd like to get a inverse kinematic dynamic model of hinged character
that
> > looks like a ring from hinges.

> > What can I construct is only a tree based hierarhy, caused by
> "parent-child"
> > relations principals in 3DMax.

1. Better bones in 3DMAX, Softimage or LW

I have the "digital Character Animation" From George Maestri, It looks like
3D MAX and Softimage are more easy to use with bones, because the way that
you can reajust the bones vertices and influences, Some one that works hard
with LW bones can tell us if LW is too complex to readjust bones vertices or
influences..

Rafael

2. Urgent: Matrox G200 + NT4.0 + depth

3. Bones, bones, bones, and MORE BONES

4. Newby

5. BONES BONES AND BONES?? NEED HELP

6. Memory limitations and HDF (SUMMARY)

7. 3dMax vs 3dMax VIZ

8. Error with 2.5 under Win95

9. Looping a NON looping animation

10. Loop the Loop (driving a vector in a circle)

11. Bones Pro and deformation while rotating bones

12. Good Bones + Bones PRO tutorial.

13. parenting bones to bones ?