Looking for Keyframer to .3ds file converter

Looking for Keyframer to .3ds file converter

Post by Spencer Boomhowe » Wed, 05 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hey all,

Is there any way to get animation frames in the 3ds4 keyframer to be
spit out as .3ds files? I'm trying to get animation into the Quake
engine and while I've done it with solid mesh objects animated w/ bones
pro (and then turned into morph targets) I'd like to now try it with
jointed objects.

It doesn't seem like it should be difficult to save frame 3 of a walk
cycle as walk3.3ds but I see no obvious way. Is there a plug-in for this
or maybe just a simple method that I'm over looking? I'd prefer the
latter =)

Thanks

Boom

Post by Zoltan Jano » Thu, 06 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>Is there any way to get animation frames in the 3ds4 keyframer to be
>spit out as .3ds files? I'm trying to get animation into the Quake

When you save your file in .3ds format, you do exactly this. The .3ds file
contains all the animation keys you've set in the Keyframer.

However, you may get to your goal simplier by exporting .vue files. A
vue file contains the matrices of all objects in each frame in an easy to
read ASCII format. It shouldn't be difficult to parse that.

Zoli

Post by John Dowde » Thu, 06 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Is there any way to get animation frames in the 3ds4 keyframer to be
> spit out as .3ds files? I'm trying to get animation into the Quake
> engine and while I've done it with solid mesh objects animated w/ bones
> pro (and then turned into morph targets) I'd like to now try it with
> jointed objects.

> It doesn't seem like it should be difficult to save frame 3 of a walk
> cycle as walk3.3ds but I see no obvious way. Is there a plug-in for this
> or maybe just a simple method that I'm over looking? I'd prefer the
> latter =)

Would the Snapshot command do as you wish there...?

jd

.
  John Dowdell                ||   Public forums have first claim on
  Macromedia Tech Support     ||   support time -- I cannot sustainably
  San Francisco CA            ||   respond to private email, sorry.

                      New Macromedia mirror sites:
       http://www-euro.macromedia.com, http://www-asia.macromedia.com