Orbit multiple axis over time in MAX

Post by deld » Mon, 17 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Can someone please help me, or direct me to the
manual page numbers etc. with this one:

I can use a dummy when I want to rotate an object
around some axis but how do I unlink it in (eg)
frame 100 and make the object rotate around
another dummy (or point object or such) for the
rest of the animation? Is there a way to link
and unlink hierarchies during the animation in MAX?
Have been thumbing through the manual, can't figure
it out.

I'm sure it is very simple, please help <<arnoud>>

Post by W3 Use » Thu, 20 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Can someone please help me, or direct me to the
> manual page numbers etc. with this one:

> I can use a dummy when I want to rotate an object
> around some axis but how do I unlink it in (eg)
> frame 100 and make the object rotate around
> another dummy (or point object or such) for the
> rest of the animation? Is there a way to link
> and unlink hierarchies during the animation in MAX?
> Have been thumbing through the manual, can't figure
> it out.

> I'm sure it is very simple, please help <<arnoud>>

I remember answering this question once, I will put it on the RenderFAQs
soon...

You need a hierarchy of dummies to have as much pivot points as you
need.
For example, you link the Object01 to Dummy01, then Dummy01 to Dummy02.
You can place the pivot point of the object where you want it to be for
the first part of the animation, the pivot point of Dummy01 for the
second part, etc. Now you can pick the Object and rotate around its
pivot point for the first 100 frames, then rotate Dummy01 around its
pivot point for the frames 100-200 - the Object01 will move with it
around the same point!

This is an exceprt from my first answer:

                O--
                   \
                A   x  B  y
                     \___/

O is child of A (A is a Helper), pivot point of O is in A, pivot point
of A is in B

                A   O  B  y
                     \___/

O rotates at 90 degrees around A to reach position x

                       B  y
                       O_/

Now A starts rotating around B, O moves with it.

                       B  O A

O reaches position y after A has rotated at 180 degrees around B.

--
Hope this will help you!

Greetings,

3DJ Bobo
aka W3 User
http://info.tuwien.ac.at/raumsim/vrb/
What's new in VR Boboland? Check
http://info.tuwien.ac.at/raumsim/vrb/WHATSUP.DOC

Rendert**ls Plug-in index HAS MOVED!!!
http://info.tuwien.ac.at/raumsim/vrb/ipas/

1. Orbiting around arbitrary axes

Hi all!

I have made 3 functions that each one orbits the camera around 1 axes
(x,y,z) looking at a certain point, and it works just fine.
The functions takes 3 parameters:
   -  origo to look at (and orbit around)
   -  distance to origo (radius of orbiting)
   -  angle

Since my math skills are a bit limited, I am having problems with
combining these 3 functions into one function that places the camera
somewhere on a virtual sphere looking at origo.

Has anyone of you done something like this, or do you know where to
find a solution to it.

What I want to accomplish with this is a camera that can be a first
person camera (by setting the distance parameter to 0), or a third
person camera that always looks at the player object.
The camera would also, always rotate in relation to the players
rotations.

Thanks
/Marcus

2. Newbie-----Leaves-----

3. Multiple y-Axes on same x-Axis

4. Question when plotting

5. multiple graphs, subplots, multiple y-axis

6. JAZ on O2?

7. Multiple vertex selection across multiple objects in MAX?

8. Making computer graphics for a game

9. Axis autoscale algorithm sought (adjusted min, max, tic interval, given min, max, desired number of tics)

10. multiple mutually orthogonal axis ?

11. multiple data to be plotted on y axis

12. Multiple Y axes on same plot