What's a nice animation file format?

Post by J. Reeves Hal » Fri, 24 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I need to convert some animated 3DSMAX models to a format my program (a
3D engine using OpenGL) can easily and quickly read. I don't think VRML
will be sufficient, as animation would be clumsy at best. Can someone
suggest a suitable format that can handle RGBA textures (and texture
coordinates), shared vertices, triangles, and animation data?

I've considered asking the artist to export each frame of the animation
as a separate VRML file, and writing a program to combine them into a
more sensible format... That would be a bit of a desparate hack though.

Also, is there any possibility of a Linux port of 3DSMAX?

Thanks!
-Reeves

--
J. Reeves Hall, Georgia Tech CS Major
Linux #5 SMP Mon Mar 20 21:56:31 EST 2000

What's a nice animation file format?

Post by Matt D. Leonar » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I need to convert some animated 3DSMAX models to a format my program (a
> 3D engine using OpenGL) can easily and quickly read. I don't think VRML
> will be sufficient, as animation would be clumsy at best. Can someone
> suggest a suitable format that can handle RGBA textures (and texture
> coordinates), shared vertices, triangles, and animation data?

> I've considered asking the artist to export each frame of the animation
> as a separate VRML file, and writing a program to combine them into a
> more sensible format... That would be a bit of a desparate hack though.

> Also, is there any possibility of a Linux port of 3DSMAX?

> Thanks!
> -Reeves

Hi Reeves,

Your best bet it to check out a package called "PolyTrans" by a company
called Okino Computer Graphics.  Their web site is www.okino.com

They make excellent software for converting 3D formats from one system to
another.

Regards

Matt D. Leonard

Digital Dreams & Visions Ltd