can you render avis in a network render?

Post by Ben Jame » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Can you render avis in a network render?
We can set a render to tga files but not to avi?

When we try to render to avi it assigns it as network render single and we
can only assign it to one machine?

Cheers

can you render avis in a network render?

Post by 3D Perun » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Look at the previous posts - I just answered this (as did someone else).

Don't post until you've researched the NG to see if someone else has asked
the same question recently.

3D Peruna (ask Heikki what a Peruna is if you're curious).

Post by M. van Viane » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Can you render avis in a network render?
> We can set a render to tga files but not to avi?

> When we try to render to avi it assigns it as network render single and we
> can only assign it to one machine?

> Cheers

Hi, Ben:

In a word, no. It has something to do with ordered images in a single file
(avi) versus numbered single images. In net rendering, different processors
get different frames or even part of a frame, not necessarily in order.  If
processor 1 finishes frame 1 and processor 3 finishes frame 3, but processor 2
hasn't finished frame 2 yet ( on a byte-break or something), then processor 3
doesn't know what to do with it's data....can't write it to the avi file that
processor 1 started. Things get slow or severely messed up. But if each
processor knows that, when it is finished it's task, it writes the data to a
file called "frame00n.tga" and dumps it to a folder on the HD, then it can go
on to do another task (frame). Much better efficiency. Then, after all the
frames are processed and in the folder in numbered files, processor 5 can come
along with Premiere or something, pick up all the numbered files, and put them
in order in a single file (avi, mpeg, flc, etc.). I'm sure you know about
editing and compositing post-production, but wanted to include this last part
for anyone who might not be aware of how to put together video from images.

This is a very simplified explanation,and it's not my intention to demean
anyone's intelligence.......just an exercise to see if I could explain the
process (as I understand it) simply and clearly.

Regards,
                Mel

can you render avis in a network render?

Post by Ethan W Shvartzma » Mon, 20 Sep 1999 04:00:00

good job!
good explaination in deed.

now explain the modeling process diff. between lightwave and max and i will
be very happy.
thanks
ethan

1. Searching 3D-Rendering-Tool(Linux) for network-rendering

Hello,

I own Linux since 4 months. I'm very interested in rendering over a
network.
Is there any program under Linux or Unix which makes this possible?
Is it for free? Where can I get it?
And where can I get example-sceens to test it?
Which modeller is the best to construct sceens for it?

Hope someone can help me:-)

        Tom:-)

2. Does Freehand 7 do image maps?

3. 2d-rotation of a bitmap - how?

4. ULTIMATE list of Render Farm Network Rendering Tools for Maya

5. Lightwave X-treme almost all gone!

6. Error when rendering AVIs in Max

7. Max 3 - Rendering AVIs ALPHA channel only ..

8. Rendering AVIs in LW6???

9. Error while rendering large AVIs

10. Network Rendering

11. Network rendering for POV