Random Flickering Light

Post by Honch » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I posted this yesterday but I didn't see it up today so I'm posting it
again. Please forgive the repeat.

I have lightning striking near objects and I need to have those objects
flicker as the lightning strikes nearby. It doesn't necessarily have to
be in sync with the lightning. My tutorial said to create keys on the
spot lighting the objects where the color goes from 255 to 0 and back
again. This worked but it meant creating dozens of keys by hand and it's
tedious. I tried using the noise modifier on the lights but it didn't
work. Is there any way to create a random, flickering light easily?

Random Flickering Light

Post by Martin Stephenso » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

The noise modifier is probably the way to go.  Give it another go.  I've
done an example at home so I'll send you the file if you like (only simple
test render).  Noise does work to achieve what you want.

Post by Tuomo Kuloma » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Is there any way to create a random, flickering light easily?

Yup. Change light's color controller (default Bezier Point3) to
ColorRGB and assign Waveform controller to R.

Change pulse shape to square, amplitude 255 (auto > 0), effect Add.
Now add second similar waveform, but change it's effect to clamp
above. Then tweak period/duty/phase values until you see a
nice 'random' lightning effect as 'final output' graph.

Then copy controller and paste it as instance to G and B values
of same light (it also works as material's self-illumination
controller for additional lightning effect of objects).

Now when you change settings in any instanced waveform controller,
all other places changes as well.

Nice and dandy.

HTH

___________________________
Tuomo Kulomaa
http://www.piirtek.fi/tuomo

Random Flickering Light

Post by heikki anttil » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Noise works

Go to track view and put noise modifier to lights multiplyer. Go to noise
properties and adjust noise strenght to around 1 and check that the values
are always above zero.

It should do it.

heikki

Random Flickering Light

Post by Zachary C Wilso » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

to clarify:

it is not a modifier that you are looking for, but a controller.  a
parameter is controlled by a controller - the default is a bezier
controller.  I find bezier controllers unpredictable so I stick to linear
controllers most of the time.  another type of controller is an expression
which allows you to use linear algebra (right?) to define a parameter's
behavior.  yet another is what you are looking for, a noise controller.
when you click on the parameter in question in track view, there is a button
on the bar at the top of the track view you can use to access to view all of
your options for that parameter.

there is, of course, a more detailed description of controllers in the Max
manual and the help file.

zach

------------------------

Disclaimer: The above opinions are those of a large rodent with sharp teeth

www.glubco.com
www.glubco.com/maxfaq
www.glubco.com/comedy
www.glubco.com/urban

1. Flicker Flicker Flicker and big Bitmaps

This is mainly to Earl F. Glynn.

How many times have you answered this question:
  How can I do flickerfree animations?

Or how about this one, I know I have asked this question myself:
  How can I do to display a realy large Bitmap?

I just want to say that you do a good job, answering these questions all the
time.
You deserve some credits, and your homepage is so neat.

regards David

2. TNT OpenGL extensions

3. Flicker Flicker Always a Flicker

4. How does the T-buffer work?

5. How to enable 2 sided lighting for random vertex ordering

6. Looking for 'catenary' algorithm and source code (C/++).

7. Flicker Light Studio presents Tom Repasky

8. Units

9. BMRT&flickering lights

10. flickering lights

11. Flickering Candle light