Multiple Materials onto one object

Post by Brian Rudol » Tue, 23 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>     I'm kind of new at 3-d Studio. I've only had it for about 3 weeks...
>Anyway, I have modeled a Bic Pen using the 2-d shaper ---> 3d lofter -->
>3d editor. I've made the Pen as one object and I want to know how to
>assign different materials to different parts of the object. For
>instance, I want to be able to make the barrel of the pen a white
>plastic, make the first part of the tip (where the pen begins to taper
>off) a black plastic, make the ball-point tip gold, and I want to put a
>decal of the bic logo on the barrel of the pen.
>    Do I need to re-loft each part of the pen as a separate object? Also
>I'm having a problem with making the very tip of the pen round. I have an
>arc in the 2-d shape representing the tip. When I bring it into the 3-d
>lofter and do a deform/Fit it still looks rounded. I add an extra vertex
>at the tip to make sure that there are enough steps in the path.Then, I
>choose objects/make and it is imported into the 3d editor ,but the tip is
>flat. !!?!

You can apply the materials to a group of faces. Use the Select manu
to choose a selection set of faces, then go to the surface menu and
choose apply/face and hit the selected button. That will assign a
specific material to only the faces selected.

-Brian
**********************************
Brian Rudolph
Autodesk Product Support - Multimedia

**********************************

1. HELP: Mapping Material onto object

I am wondering if somebody can help me. I know this is probably a stupid
question but I am a 3dsMAX beginner!
I have imported a 2d shape (DXF format) and I want to extrude it
slightly (which I have achieved) and then to map it with a gold colour.
However when I assign a gold material to the shape then only the
extruded parts of the object are coloured - the face of the object is
not. What am I doing wrong? Also how do I create a short animation of
this object spinning?

Thanks for the help.

Simon

2. Request: 32 bit Fixed Point routines (386/486)

3. multiple objects grouped to one object

4. Encapsulated Postscript with preview

5. (PLEASE HELP) How can I combine object in multiple layers into one (layer/object)

6. Need shaded 3D rotation and video recorder output

7. Can I assign two materials to one object?

8. Different Materials to one object

9. Multiple textures and projections in one object

10. Grouping multiple objects into one

11. Cutting multiple objects with one line

12. Multiple maps in one object