Multiple vertex selection across multiple objects in MAX?

Multiple vertex selection across multiple objects in MAX?

Post by kdav » Fri, 15 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Having recently received a copy of 3D Studio Max at work for
test purposes, I was trying to figure out how to select multiple
vertices in different objects. I've been working with 3D Studio 3
and 4 for a number of years now, and doing a multiple select was
quite easy.  Just click on the 'select vertex' and drag a window
around all the vertices you want selected.

With Max, I still haven't figured out how to do this.  The only
way I've found to select multiple vertices at all is to highlight
the object, select the Modify menu, select Edit Mesh, click back
on the selection tool, and then drag a window around the vertices.
If you select multiple objects to start with, the Edit Mesh button
in the Modify Menu becomes greyed out, so this method is limited
to a single object.

So, if I have the following cubes (as viewed straight on :)

 +---------+   +----------+    +---------+
 |         |   |          |    |         |
 |         |   |          |    |         |
 |         |   |          |    |         |
 |         |   |          |    |         |
 |         |   |          |    |         |
 |         |   |          |    |         |
  ---------     ----------      ---------

And I want to select all the vertices as indicated by the '+'
signs (including the ones behind the visible ones).  How would
I go about doing it?

And another question...  If you have the Snap option turned on,
I've noticed that the objects will snap to the proper place,
but the X-Y-Z indicator will always show the current position
of the cursor, and not where the snaps are.  IE: I am creating
a box at position 0,0 and I want it 10 units in all directions.
In 3D Studio 4.0, the position indicator shows a position
of 10,10,10 at the final spot, but MAX shows anything from
7.544 to 12.443.  Is there any way to snap the cursor along
with the object/vertex being manipulated?

Finally, I'm a bit cheesed that the <Tab> key no longer toggles
between the X-Y-Z lock.  If you click on the object to move, then
decide you only want to move it along the X axis, you have to
click the right button to cancel, then click the X-button, and
then move the object again.  Is there a way to make the <Tab>
button a shortcut to the X-Y-Z locks?  I personally feel that
this is one of the biggest losses between 3ds4 and MAX.

BTW: anyone else out there using MAX to create Quake levels?
If so, drop me a line if you want to talk about ideas,
techniques, problems, and other stuff...

Scratch

Post by Animato » Fri, 15 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> Having recently received a copy of 3D Studio Max at work for
> test purposes, I was trying to figure out how to select multiple
> vertices in different objects. I've been working with 3D Studio 3
> and 4 for a number of years now, and doing a multiple select was
> quite easy.  Just click on the 'select vertex' and drag a window
> around all the vertices you want selected.

> With Max, I still haven't figured out how to do this.  The only
> way I've found to select multiple vertices at all is to highlight
> the object, select the Modify menu, select Edit Mesh, click back
> on the selection tool, and then drag a window around the vertices.
> If you select multiple objects to start with, the Edit Mesh button
> in the Modify Menu becomes greyed out, so this method is limited
> to a single object.

Try selecting all the objects, group them (as opposed to attaching them
together), then edit the grouped object.  If you need to go back and
modify an individual object, open the group and work with it that way.

I'm pretty sure this will work okay.  I did something like that a short
while ago.  If this doesn't work, let me know and I'll take a look at my
project again to see how I did it.

-John
-----
Beliefs are dangerous.
Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning.
A non-functioning mind is clinically dead.
Believe in nothing...

- Aenima, Tool

Post by despo.. » Sat, 16 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>Having recently received a copy of 3D Studio Max at work for
>test purposes, I was trying to figure out how to select multiple
>vertices in different objects. I've been working with 3D Studio 3
>and 4 for a number of years now, and doing a multiple select was
>quite easy.  Just click on the 'select vertex' and drag a window
>around all the vertices you want selected.

>With Max, I still haven't figured out how to do this.  The only
>way I've found to select multiple vertices at all is to highlight
>the object, select the Modify menu, select Edit Mesh, click back
>on the selection tool, and then drag a window around the vertices.
>If you select multiple objects to start with, the Edit Mesh button
>in the Modify Menu becomes greyed out, so this method is limited
>to a single object.

I have created several objects and have been able to select all of them
and then apply an "Edit Mesh" modifier and grab vertices in multiple
objects with no problem....  Are you using the latest release of MAX?

Quote:>Finally, I'm a bit cheesed that the <Tab> key no longer toggles
>between the X-Y-Z lock.  If you click on the object to move, then
>decide you only want to move it along the X axis, you have to
>click the right button to cancel, then click the X-button, and
>then move the object again.  Is there a way to make the <Tab>
>button a shortcut to the X-Y-Z locks?  I personally feel that
>this is one of the biggest losses between 3ds4 and MAX.

Try using 'F5' , 'F6' and 'F7' to toggle X,Y,Z constraints (You can
redefine these under preferences)

Hope this helps!

Post by kdav » Tue, 19 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>>If you select multiple objects to start with, the Edit Mesh button
>>in the Modify Menu becomes greyed out, so this method is limited
>>to a single object.

>I have created several objects and have been able to select all of them
>and then apply an "Edit Mesh" modifier and grab vertices in multiple
>objects with no problem....  Are you using the latest release of MAX?

Strange.  Very strange.  Maybe it was the video driver I was using,
or perhaps something strange about the scene I was in, but this
now seems to be working.  Or at least it was working for creating
two simple objects and selecting multiple vertices between them.

Maybe I'm working too hard these days. :)

Quote:>>decide you only want to move it along the X axis, you have to
>>click the right button to cancel, then click the X-button, and
>>then move the object again.  Is there a way to make the <Tab>
>>button a shortcut to the X-Y-Z locks?  I personally feel that
>>this is one of the biggest losses between 3ds4 and MAX.

>Try using 'F5' , 'F6' and 'F7' to toggle X,Y,Z constraints (You can
>redefine these under preferences)

This is a big help!  Thanks for the tip...

Kif

1. Multiple objects and multiple widgets

Dear Newsgroup,

        I have spent the last week trying to figure out how to display multiple
glx widgets simultaneously in one Motif window and I finally got it.  My
program can now display a sphere, a cube , a cone, and a torus all at
the same time, each with their own glx widget and context and everything
looks great.

        I am using the OpenGL aux library commands to generate these images.
However a problem arises when I try to draw the same object in more than
one window.  For example as soon as I try drawing 2 cubes at the same
time, the glxcontext that draws the cube first is ok, but the second
context or widget on my screen comes up blank!  I have no idea why.
Code looks like this:

        glPushMatrix();

                /* DRAW OBJECTS */
                if( glXGetCurrentContext()== glxcontext[0]) {
                auxSolidCube(1.0);
        /*      auxSolidSphere(0.5);*/
                }

                if( glXGetCurrentContext()== glxcontext[1]) {
                auxSolidCube(1.0);
                }

                ect for other 2 contexts

        glPopMatrix();

        if (doubleBuffer) glXSwapBuffers(dpy, XtWindow(w));

        glFinish();
        Like I said, I can draw a SolidShpere in glxcontext[0] and then a
SolidCube in glxcontext[1] but as soon as I comment out the solid sphere
and try to draw a solid cube instead, a cube appears in my first
context, and nothing appears in my second where I try to draw a cube for
the second time (and it was just there before the commented out code was
put in! where did it go?).  It is like once I draw a cube, I doesn't
want me drawing another cube ever again (but it doesn't mind if I draw
another object or even a cube of different size).

        Have anyone come across this sort of problem before?

        Thank you for your thoughts.

        Jonathan Rasmusson

2. User Group in LA

3. Using Vertex Arrays in multiple objects?

4. Save 80% On Your Grocery Bills!!!

5. POV Ray across multiple LinuxPPC boxes

6. new site

7. Printing a very large image across multiple pages?

8. zoom utility (pixel zoom that is) that works across multiple monitors

9. How to synchronize swapbuffer calls across multiple programs?

10. Tiling large output across multiple 8.5x11 printouts

11. Large Image Across Multiple Pages in PS?

12. reusing grid lines across multiple files