Thanks for the advice- was Industrial Designer interested in game/film industry.

Thanks for the advice- was Industrial Designer interested in game/film industry.

Post by Orlando Carnat » Tue, 16 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi I'd like to thank all who gave their advice on this subject last
week. I checked out one of the "art institute" schools (Illinois
Institute of Art- NOT Art Institute of Chicago). I was not impressed. It
must be because I'm already doing it, it's just that I'm doing it for
Industrial Design. It's just that I can't practice making it
"realistic", like adding dirt or grime, or else, you know, the client
and my boss will kill me. But I am practicing with dirtying textures and
dramatic lighting when things are slow at the office.

As to what I should focus on, whether it be modeling or doing character
animation, I think for me to find out is to just DO it. Make anything.
Then I will probably know. All I need to do now is force myself to do
some of the stuff I've seen, if not do it better. I am also going to
keep on drawing, and learn character animation on my own, as one of you
suggested. Otherwise if I do want to go back to school for animation, I
will learn it the traditional way.

Thanks again for those who replied,
Orlando

1. Industrial Designer interested in game/film industry- Need advice

Orlando:
I have a B.A. in Industrial Design, and I went back to school for computer
animation multimedia. I think if you have a good ID portfolio, it will put
you at the door. People don't expect character animation, it just depends
which field do you want to take.
After I got out of the computer animation school, people were more impress
with my ID portafolio than my demo tape. Because they knew I was able to
take one project from begining to end, also my professional experience
counted. Employers also see some fresh ideas in your sketches and products.
Jaime
http://www.flash.net/~holliday/design/jaime.htm

2. A big problems with toolbuttons and bitmap

3. PC format -> Apple MAC

4. puzzled by renderer ?

5. Thanks for the advice- was Industrial Designer interested in game/film industry.

6. New Tip - Hollow 3D Perspective Text

7. Advice needed from good Animators in the film industry

8. Advice for a newbie game designer?

9. game industry to movie industry

10. need Advice: on getting ready to hit the industry