gMax - Cans and Cants

Post by gonz » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 20:36:52

Hey All,
    I was looking at the gMax software and had a few questions.
1. After you build (or modify if you have a gMax ready game), can you import
the models into 3DS Max?
2. Can the gMax models, levels, weapons, etc. be exported into a format for
other games such as half life?
3. Does anyone really care about or use gMax?

I'm just asking because I don't want to download and take time to learn this
software if its just going to disappear next month.

--
"I am the wheel"
Paul "Gonzo" Guise

www.igonzo.com

gMax - Cans and Cants

Post by Douglas Elliso » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 20:29:45

Quote:> Hey All,
>     I was looking at the gMax software and had a few questions.
> 1. After you build (or modify if you have a gMax ready game), can you
import
> the models into 3DS Max?

No. Can only save to and from a native .gmax format.

Quote:> 2. Can the gMax models, levels, weapons, etc. be exported into a format
for
> other games such as half life?

If there is a halflife exporter - yes.

Quote:> 3. Does anyone really care about or use gMax?

Frankly, I dont - it's a waste of time - esp when the developers pack is
$80,000.

Doug

gMax - Cans and Cants

Post by Render8to » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 08:37:55

Quote:> Frankly, I dont - it's a waste of time - esp when the developers pack is
> $80,000.

> Doug

Ohmyfreakingod! Are you serious? 80 grand?????
Methinks gmax is going to have a very short lifespan.

gMax - Cans and Cants

Post by Martin Rowle » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 10:05:44

That's the developers pack - aimed at the game companies to make their games
compatible with gMax, not the end users. $80K isn't all that much (about the
salary of two programmers). Heck, I think I remember hearing that the original
quake engine was once licensed at around $1M back in the day.

Martin

> > Frankly, I dont - it's a waste of time - esp when the developers pack is
> > $80,000.

> > Doug

> Ohmyfreakingod! Are you serious? 80 grand?????
> Methinks gmax is going to have a very short lifespan.

gMax - Cans and Cants

Post by Ryan Green » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 02:13:01

Really not an outrageous sum, seeing as how it can keep you from having to
hire a team of programmers to code a similar custom program.  Also, I
believe the current crop of game engines (Unreal, Quake 3, Halflife,
Lithtech, etc.) go for between $200,000 and a half million.

Everything is relative.

Ryan Greene

gMax - Cans and Cants

Post by Essie » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 05:39:23

I believe MS Flight Sim have included it in
FS2002 Pro. The idea is that the games company
has the compatible exporters, but anybody can
make new planes for it. Flight sims depend on
add-ons for furthered sales. After all, FS98 has
1,000's of free add-on aircraft available on the
net. It boosts sales.

--
The Janitor
Staffordshire

| > Frankly, I dont - it's a waste of time - esp
when the developers pack is
| > $80,000.
| >
| > Doug
| >

| Ohmyfreakingod! Are you serious? 80 grand?????
| Methinks gmax is going to have a very short
lifespan.

1. Win98 canned!!!

In a bizarre turn of events today William Gates III told us that "Further
plans for the development of Windows 98 have been discontinued." This comes
on the heels MacWorld San Fransisco and after in-house testing of Apple
Computer's recent developer builds of their next generation OS codenamed
"Rhapsody".

When asked why he was discontinuing the Windows 98, Mr. Gates replied
"...After taking a good hard look at the excellent multi-platform OS coming
out of Cupertino, I realized that Winodws 98 just wouldn't be able to
compete.  This new Operating System from Apple is incredible!..."

We asked Mr. Gates (who insisted we call him Bill) about what this means
for the users of Windows 95 and he responded "...this means that a new OS
is upon us, one that I believe will, as I have always stated, show that
Apple Computer really is on the forefront of technology. It also means that
Microsoft can go back to it's roots and start developing quality software
for a revolutionary Operating System..."

We were stunned by this and asked Mr. Gates if he thought that the billions
of Windows 95 users would feel that Microsoft has left them "High and Dry"
and his response was "No, I firmly believe that Microsoft should have never
been in the OS business to begin with, it was not our intention.  We built
Microsoft on quality desktop applications such as Word and Excel and that
is what we are going back to. Many corporations viewed the superior
Macintosh as a toy; they didn't understand the elegance of the Mac.  When
they finally understood we saw an opportunity to bring a Macintosh-like
environment to the IBM PC. Windows 95 users will be happy to upgrade to
Apple's 'Rhapsody'.  We are working closely with Apple's engineers to
ensure that the Intel version of Rhapsody will run all of the current
Windows 95 software as well as the Native Rhapsody software."

2. wglShareLists in MDI Visual C++ app

3. WANTED: canned edge detection routines/graphics libraries

4. Mesh Bug in POV-Ray 3.0?

5. Any canned algorithms for displaying graphs?

6. E3 info?

7. one more elder abysmal potters will grudgingly scold the cans