"Fur"/"hair" texture

Post by ARMSTRONG,SUS » Sat, 06 May 1995 04:00:00

I'm interested in creating animations of fur-covered animals.  There's
a map in 3ds4 called "pelt" but it's no good for my purposes
(it looks like cotton batting!).

Can anyone suggest ways for me to create an illusion of a * or
hairy covering on a surface.  (It doesn't have to be perfect...)

As a beginner, I don't know how to obtain specific files of this kind
for my purposes. If particular map files exist that
I could use, I would also like advice on how I could find them
(preferably without buying an entire CD, although I realize that might
be unavoidable)...

thanks folks

-- Susan

"Fur"/"hair" texture

Post by bs cm » Sun, 07 May 1995 04:00:00

Try ftp://avalon.vislab.navy.mil /pub/utils/3ds

I know that they have alot of 3DS stuff there including textures and maps.

Scott.

"Fur"/"hair" texture

Post by Samuel Littlemo » Mon, 08 May 1995 04:00:00

A> Can anyone suggest ways for me to create an illusion of a * or
A> hairy covering on a surface.  (It doesn't have to be perfect...)

A good way is to create a hairy looking map in photoshop etc put it on
your object, then copy and scale that object up and put the same map on
that only this time add the map to the opacity channel aswell, quite
effective.

samuel.
-- Via Xenolink 1.96, XenolinkUUCP 1.1

"Fur"/"hair" texture

Post by Josh Whi » Sat, 13 May 1995 04:00:00

: Can anyone suggest ways for me to create an illusion of a * or
: hairy covering on a surface.  (It doesn't have to be perfect...)

This is very hard to do well; usually the best you can get is a molded
hair look, like Ken's (of Barbie & Ken) without particle system
simulation. Even Alias's beautiful particle system yields only OK
results; consider excellent hair simulation an unsolved problem.

: As a beginner, I don't know how to obtain specific files of this kind
: for my purposes. If particular map files exist that
: I could use, I would also like advice on how I could find them
: (preferably without buying an entire CD, although I realize that might
: be unavoidable)...

There are two main ways to get texture maps:
  1) create them or
  2) use an existing one.

For your example (hair), I would simply create one: draw it in a paint
program (with a matching bump map), or scan some fur if you have a
scanner. For added fun, scan your own hair; it turns out surprisingly
good (at least for me it did).

I have wasted much time trying to find textures. Here's my basic feeling
on the matter:

The most important issue with textures is cataloging. Sure, you have 6
CD-ROMS full of textures, but what's on them? With a color printer and
lots of spare time, you can make an index; this may be a good idea.
Browsing takes lots of time.

As far as which CD-ROMs to buy, I have the "World-Creating Toolkit" that
comes with 3D Studio. THis is pretty good IMO.  I also have "Texture
Universe" from Autodesk; this is not good, an very expensive. Avoid it.
The Avalon FTP site archive is a good idea, but very hard to access since
it's all UNIX oriented.  I need to do more research on texture CD-ROMs.
Anyone out there have input?

Other sources (besides CDROMS): Internet archives, scans of books, ...
That's all I can think of. I have yet to explore Internet archives for
textures; does anyone know of excellent sites? I imagine the Avalon site
(mirrored at oak.oakland.edu) and the Game Programmer's site
(something.fi; I can't remember exactly but can look it up for interested
parties) are good.

How do you find your texture maps?

-Josh

Josh White -- Vector Graphics: Custom 3D models for realtime 3D games & VR
Love:1985 Ninja 900 "Ninjette"; Hate:1984 Nissan Sentra "Ted Dang" -={ 3D
artist, game developer, motorhead, soccer player. Turkiye seviyorum! }=-
WANTED: 10MB/S Internet connection in north Oakland, costing $20/month. :)

1. ****"""""BUG IN PROGRAM"""*****

Does anyone have a problem using PhotoShop 3.  I have alien skin filters
and Kai's Power Tools and yet if I use the spheroid designer in Kai's Power
Tools and then try to add a drop shadow to it using alien skin, PhotoShop
crashes.  Has anyone got a solution to this problem.  It's really bugging
me (pun not intentional).

Yours Pete

2. jpg save????

3. """"LOOKING FOR METRAEYES MODELLER AND TURBO.PXP FOR AN EXCHANGE"""""

4. Molecular surface computation software/algorithm needed

5. Dss Satellite "HU"&"H"card programming click link

6. Viewpoint's motives

7. ***WHICH IS BEST CAPTURE"SNAPPY""AIGOTCHA"?***

8. filter question

9. HELP - "mli"/"mat"

10. popen("gnuplot", "w")

11. Fur in "Mighty Joe Young"?

12. Making fur "lay" on surface

13. wortarten von "manche", "mehrere" und "wenn"