Architecture visualisation question

Architecture visualisation question

Post by Blushoe » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 00:48:49



Hi all,

I am using 3ds max (not viz).

I am using file import to import architectural
autocad files to trace over in 3ds max.

Typically, architects' autocad drawings are huge;
and importing the dwg file into Max takes forever.

Some times, it seems to hang even while importing
the dwg.

And even if successful, the max file becomes so
heavy and sluggish because of the imported dwg
that working in the max interface becomes a waiting game.

Is there anything I am missing out or is this just normal?

How do you guys usually go about an architectural
visualisation project?

Thanks.

 
 
 

Architecture visualisation question

Post by Darrel Hoffma » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 02:41:28


Quote:> I am using 3ds max (not viz).

> I am using file import to import architectural
> autocad files to trace over in 3ds max.

> Typically, architects' autocad drawings are huge;
> and importing the dwg file into Max takes forever.

> Some times, it seems to hang even while importing
> the dwg.

> And even if successful, the max file becomes so
> heavy and sluggish because of the imported dwg
> that working in the max interface becomes a waiting game.

> Is there anything I am missing out or is this just normal?

> How do you guys usually go about an architectural
> visualisation project?

Generally, I start in whatever Autocad program was used to create the file, and throw out all the extra stuff before exporting.  If
all you need is the basic shape of the walls, you can get rid of all the extra data that's included in there are end up with a much
cleaner file to import.  This might help you a bit?

 
 
 

Architecture visualisation question

Post by gruh » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 02:54:55


Quote:> Generally, I start in whatever Autocad program was used to create the
file,
> and throw out all the extra stuff before exporting

I do the bulk of my solids extruding in ACAD. Put an awful lot of the model
together there. But I'm doing rank amateur stuff so maybe that makes a diff.
 
 
 

Architecture visualisation question

Post by Blushoe » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 03:09:30


Yea, I do that too...cleaning up the files.
But still its just too sluggish in Max.

Thanks though.

Quote:> all you need is the basic shape of the walls, you can get rid of all the

extra data that's included in there are end up with a much
Quote:> cleaner file to import.  This might help you a bit?

 
 
 

Architecture visualisation question

Post by Robert » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 10:40:50



Quote:> Hi all,

> I am using 3ds max (not viz).

> I am using file import to import architectural
> autocad files to trace over in 3ds max.

> Typically, architects' autocad drawings are huge;
> and importing the dwg file into Max takes forever.

> Some times, it seems to hang even while importing
> the dwg.

> And even if successful, the max file becomes so
> heavy and sluggish because of the imported dwg
> that working in the max interface becomes a waiting game.

> Is there anything I am missing out or is this just normal?

> How do you guys usually go about an architectural
> visualisation project?

> Thanks.

Ok, when import rectangular shapes , set the control ACIS  surface
deviation to 0.1 or 1  then take your other shapes (like cylinders,
spheres, etc) to 0.001.

purge all your blocks,layers, and froze your dimensions and text layers.

and better, DO NOT USE AUTOCAD FOR MODELING!,  try Sketchup and save like  
dwg to keep the layers.
these steps are going to hlep you.