Animating gradients and/or gradient ramps

Animating gradients and/or gradient ramps

Post by The Krymson Skorpyo » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 22:58:56

Can anyone point me toward a good tutorial on this subject?  I've
looked in the on-line documentation and through the few books I've
got, and I haven't found any guidance there.  Right now I'm just sorta
wandering about in the wilderness, as it were <g>.

As with my last question, I promise I won't call you names if you
'teach me to fish' rather than 'hand me a fish'.  Truth be told, I'd
*prefer* to be taught than to be 'handed'.

Thanks in advance!

Skorp

Animating gradients and/or gradient ramps

Post by Henry Chinansk » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 23:13:31

Can't really point you to any tutorials... but basically you animate those
features the same way than everything else. Activate "Animate" and move
timeslider then change the value.

That simple, no tricks...Any value that can be animated follows the same
principal. Activate "Animate" -> move timeslider -> change value.

Hope this helps,
Hank

Quote:> Can anyone point me toward a good tutorial on this subject?  I've
> looked in the on-line documentation and through the few books I've
> got, and I haven't found any guidance there.  Right now I'm just sorta
> wandering about in the wilderness, as it were <g>.

> As with my last question, I promise I won't call you names if you
> 'teach me to fish' rather than 'hand me a fish'.  Truth be told, I'd
> *prefer* to be taught than to be 'handed'.

> Thanks in advance!

> Skorp

Animating gradients and/or gradient ramps

Post by Evil Natha » Fri, 23 Nov 2001 07:54:00

Ok - teaching to fish.... lets see....

Animate parameters as u would any other object/value in 3dsmax....(as per
post above...)

Experiment with animating the UVW mapping Gizmo.....

:]

Nathan.

Quote:> Can anyone point me toward a good tutorial on this subject?  I've
> looked in the on-line documentation and through the few books I've
> got, and I haven't found any guidance there.  Right now I'm just sorta
> wandering about in the wilderness, as it were <g>.

> As with my last question, I promise I won't call you names if you
> 'teach me to fish' rather than 'hand me a fish'.  Truth be told, I'd
> *prefer* to be taught than to be 'handed'.

> Thanks in advance!

> Skorp

Animating gradients and/or gradient ramps

Post by Brand » Fri, 23 Nov 2001 22:13:18

Here is a very basic example...

Reset to start a new scene
Create a primitive (box)
Apply a material (say, slot 1)
Go to the diffuse map channel, click the none button and choose
   gradient
Hit"n" key (turn on animate)
Hit the "end" key (goto last keyframe)
In material editor, under gradient parameters, drag color 1 to color
   3, choose swap
Hit "n" key to turn of animate
Hit "home" key to get back to frame 1
Turn on showmap in viewport and make sure you show as shaded object
   (not wireframe) in the viewport
Scrub timeslider and gradient material is now animated, and you can
    review the results

Experiment;   try moving that gradient to other map channels; try
changing the gradients; and especially, go into track editor and look
at what was set.  Add keys here and switch to function curves and just
click on everything.  This is the way to learn, experiment and review
the results.

Have fun

   Brandon