Need help with IK!!

Post by Sergio Muci? » Mon, 10 Feb 1997 04:00:00

        Hi. Hope someone can give me a hand. Im having a little trouble with IK.
Whenever I try to animate something with IK, parts of the object that I
dont want to move will move. Lets say I have an object made of a big
square base sitting on top of a table. The object has a "neck" on top of
the base made of three rectangular segments, more or less like this:

                !               bone3
                !               bone2
                !               bone1
                  ===           base
        -----------------------         table (obviously theres no space between the
table and the base).
        Ok. I link the object (being the base the first parent and the bone3 the
last child with the hierarchy going up all the way... you know..). I setup
the pivot points, and have everything perfect to make my little boned arm
move like a robot arm. And when I go into IK interactive to move my arm,
all the movements I make move the base also! Needless to say, I dont want
the base to move. Why is it moving along with the neck? How do I make it to
stay on top of the table without moving? This is a very simple example.
Ive tried to do more complex stuff, as animating a character with IK,
getting the same discouraging results. Whenever I move an arm on my
character, the whole body will move. I know thats what IK is all about,
but how do I set up some parts to stand still and not respond to the IK
chain? If someone has animated a man (or woman, ok) with IK, let me know
how to setup joints, movement ranges and linking to get the right thing.
What I want to try is to animate a skeleton using IK (much easier than in
the keyframer) and then apply the bones animation to a mesh using bonespro.
Oh! By the way... Im using 3Ds4. Thanx a lot!!

        Sergio.
        Feedback on my site please:
        http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Pines/7965/

Need help with IK!!

Post by BUBB » Tue, 11 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Lookup Damping or Precedence in the manuals. There is no way i could detail
what you need to know here.( can't type that fast)
needless to say, these two features can be found in the settings area for IK.
The problem you have is directly related to these two features.

says...

Quote: