Question for anyone using Radioray who is now using raytracing in Max 2.0

Question for anyone using Radioray who is now using raytracing in Max 2.0

Post by AnimationFX, In » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I just got my upgrade from Max 1.2.  I was planning on buying Radioray
when I heard Max 2 was going to have raytraced refractions.  Now that
I'm playing with this feature in Max 2, I'm trying to render an object
that has raytraced refractions and it's slowing down the renderer to a
halt.  My system is a single processor (dual board) 266 Mhz PII w/
128MB RAM--not exactly a slouch of a system.  Does anybody have any
experience with RadioRay.  Is it a faster production renderer than the
built-in (Blur Studio) raytrace renderer that comes with Max 2.

For replies by email I can be contacted at scott (at) anfx-dot-com.

Post by Rory Jorgense » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> I just got my upgrade from Max 1.2.  I was planning on buying Radioray
> when I heard Max 2 was going to have raytraced refractions.  Now that
> I'm playing with this feature in Max 2, I'm trying to render an object
> that has raytraced refractions and it's slowing down the renderer to a
> halt.  My system is a single processor (dual board) 266 Mhz PII w/
> 128MB RAM--not exactly a slouch of a system.  Does anybody have any
> experience with RadioRay.  Is it a faster production renderer than the
> built-in (Blur Studio) raytrace renderer that comes with Max 2.

> For replies by email I can be contacted at scott (at) anfx-dot-com.

I tried an illegal copy of RadioRay to see if it was worth getting, it
is way slower than the raytracer. A simple inside out cube with a sphere
and 1 colored light took over 30 minutes per frame on my p166.
Rory

Post by BUBB » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>> I just got my upgrade from Max 1.2.  I was planning on buying Radioray
>> when I heard Max 2 was going to have raytraced refractions.  Now that
>> I'm playing with this feature in Max 2, I'm trying to render an object
>> that has raytraced refractions and it's slowing down the renderer to a
>> halt.  My system is a single processor (dual board) 266 Mhz PII w/
>> 128MB RAM--not exactly a slouch of a system.  Does anybody have any
>> experience with RadioRay.  Is it a faster production renderer than the
>> built-in (Blur Studio) raytrace renderer that comes with Max 2.

>> For replies by email I can be contacted at scott (at) anfx-dot-com.

>I tried an illegal copy of RadioRay to see if it was worth getting, it
>is way slower than the raytracer. A simple inside out cube with a sphere
>and 1 colored light took over 30 minutes per frame on my p166.
>Rory

It helps when you have the Freaking Manual.Even if it is a stupid HTML file...
I can render that same scene in 1 minute on a 166. Your letting the solution
run to long and haven't optimized you settings.
Radio Ray only becomes truly useless if you have to animate objects or if you
have many complex curves.
BUBBA

Question for anyone using Radioray who is now using raytracing in Max 2.0

Post by BUBB » Wed, 03 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Radio Ray is a very specific renderer. It is really only good for doing
Architectural lighting and renderings. It's raytracing is slow and it does not
do rasytraced shadows or out door scenes well.
It also precludes you from animating an object  with radiosity as this is
prohibative in terms of rendering time.
Raytracing is a slow process, you have to learn how to optimize it. Can't say
I have learned how to speed up this feature in Max 2 but when I used Raygun in
beta you could actually move fairly fast if needed.
Good Luck
BUBBA