radiosity booboos

Post by gruh » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:08:53

Working on an interior. Built up the house, put in the shower and kitchen
shelves. The back edges of the shower and kitchen shelves (up against the
wall) render with the appearance of a heavy dashed line. My suspicion is
that this is an artefact of putting a skinny piece of geometry right up
against a much larger one. I used to have the same on my ceiling, a giant
slab laid on top of the walls, until I rebuilt the ceiling as polygons
integrated into the actual geometry of the walls (polygon, create).

Am I correct?

If I want to dress up the geometry with base boards and window frames, I can
see this problem reoccuring over and over. Integrating, say, a baseboard
into the geometry of the walls isn't really the best modeling approach in
general, imo. Is there an approach that doesn't involve making the entire
model one contiguous mesh ;-)?

One idea that comes to mind is to match the edges of the shelves with a
projected spline onto the wall. This doesn't seem the best idea for future
rearrangement of the furnishings and I'm generally leary over the idea of
too many such modifications to geometry. I can see the "time to crash" point
looming in the distance.

How is this problem commonly solved?

radiosity booboos

Post by Henry Chinansk » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 15:53:32

Hi there,

I visited your site and looked at the images. Those dashed lines can be
removed by increasing the amount of samples in the render or subdivisions in
radiositymesh. Don't have max5 and don't know which renderer you're using so
you have to figure out what I mean.

There's no need to make the scene as one mesh object. The radiosity engine
understands the borders between different objects. If however you have
objects with openings like polygon missing from one side ( ie box with one
of the sides missing ) make sure that those materials are 2-sided ( or use
force 2-sided option in rendering dialoque ).

One thing to remember when creating a daytime interior scenes is the balance
between the luminosity values of the light sources. Sun is much much much
brighter than the lightbulb. So make sure that the sunlight is at least ten
times stronger than the lightsources inside the house. The second thing is
the looks you're after... Are trying to imitate human vision or photograph ?

If you require more suggestions... render one image with the background
image in place... That will determine the overall look of the image...

Best regards,
Hank

Quote:> Working on an interior. Built up the house, put in the shower and kitchen
> shelves. The back edges of the shower and kitchen shelves (up against the
> wall) render with the appearance of a heavy dashed line. My suspicion is
> that this is an artefact of putting a skinny piece of geometry right up
> against a much larger one. I used to have the same on my ceiling, a giant
> slab laid on top of the walls, until I rebuilt the ceiling as polygons
> integrated into the actual geometry of the walls (polygon, create).

> Am I correct?

> If I want to dress up the geometry with base boards and window frames, I
can
> see this problem reoccuring over and over. Integrating, say, a baseboard
> into the geometry of the walls isn't really the best modeling approach in
> general, imo. Is there an approach that doesn't involve making the entire
> model one contiguous mesh ;-)?

> One idea that comes to mind is to match the edges of the shelves with a
> projected spline onto the wall. This doesn't seem the best idea for future
> rearrangement of the furnishings and I'm generally leary over the idea of
> too many such modifications to geometry. I can see the "time to crash"
point
> looming in the distance.

> How is this problem commonly solved?

radiosity booboos

Post by Henry Chinansk » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 15:56:59

BTW what kind of fall-off settings you're using on your interior lights ?

- Hank

1. an incomplete GIF booboo

When I make a GIF image for the web, sometimes it doesn't display
correctly within Netscape's browser--the image loads about
three-quarters of the way, and then boom, no more image. (The GIF is not
interlaced) The image looks complete within Photoshop and any web editor
I'm using. I've tried uploading it again to the ISP, thinking that might
solve the problem, but no luck. I checked to see that any odd channels
were gone, so it isn't that...does anyone know if it is something
fixable in Photoshop? Or if not, what is causing it? Thanks...

Cameron j.
http://www.hypersurf.com/~cameron

2. help on spring generation with axis on a given curve

3. BMRT radiosity contra Lightwave 6 radiosity

4. Dithering Matrices (How do I calculate one?)

5. LW Radiosity vrs. Full Radiosity

6. pulse laser - help needed to create

7. Radiosity vs Cached Radiosity?

8. Mac problem fixed; newtek made a booboo.

9. Help with radiosity

10. Freeware Radiosity Renderer

11. Radiosity

12. New modeler and radiosity package