Yet Another Web Page

Yet Another Web Page

Post by Bruce Har » Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:00:00



Hi all,
I've recently put up a site featuring some architectural images.
If you're interested, point your browser here;
http://www.veryComputer.com/~bkhcg

Any constructive critisism welcome...
Cheers

*****************************

Brisbane, QLD Australia
* Computer Graphics

P.S.  Probably looks best in Netscape 2.0 or better.

 
 
 

Yet Another Web Page

Post by Gruh » Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:00:00


Quote:> Any constructive critisism welcome...

I love it when they say this. Prefer "Any criticism welcome..." but I take
what I can get... ;-)

Just for reference, my set up :

 P5-120
 1280x1024x24bit (my first and still only two weeks old 8meg video card.
Love it.)
 28,800 on another machine across the (unknown) LAN.
 MS-IE 3.0

Now I chew you apart >BWA HA HA HA< :

People with 8 bit are having a hard time reading the gray on gray text.

People who turn their brightness and contrast knobs to settings other than
where I keep mine are having a hard time reading the gary on gray text.
(From my observations, people seem to like to keep the black parts of their
screen some where around a color that the sweatshirt industry would call
"luminous charcoal gray" and the white bits somewhere around Bolivian
hammer thrower's jock strap.)

I am having a hard time reading the gray on gray text. But then, I have my
fonts set too small.

I like a kinda page shaped web browser and some other parts of my screen to
be useful, so mine is probably around 700x900 and the page looks pretty
good. Of course, I am not seeing any of the pretty green text off to the
right.

If I crunch my browser up, things get kinda crowded. If I crunch it up to
the size that less than 40% of the population uses (an I work with half of
them, ew) the horizontal "buttons" *up against the gallery "button".
Maybe drop some space in there.

Oh, you meant of the images.

Wow, using 3DS-R3!

OK, I'm fishing here... famroom.jpg could use a bit wider penumbra on the
shadows of the window and probably some dappling since there appear to be
trees between the floor and where I think the sun is. ANd the table top has
no visible thickness at the edges.(I blow it up and there is a hint of a
1.5 pixel thick edge. Maybe they just have strong glass in Australia ;-)

The perspective in famroom.jpg is a little strong, like you've gone out to
maybe 75 degrees. It's always hard to show enough of the room in a small
image that the viewer gets the idea of the room and not so much that they
don't get seasick. The framing between the window and the setee is nice, so
maybe in this case it was the best bet.

I'm having trouble with the fine scale outdoor bump mapping, but that isn't
really you so much as it is the state of rendering today. Haven't pinned
down just what the trouble is. So this isn't really constructive, sorry.

You might be able to get better lighting if you get a copy of Lightscape.

That's really all I can come up with on the constructive side. I have other
comments, but nothing I can really back up. Most of the images looked real
nice. Thanks for sharing.

 
 
 

Yet Another Web Page

Post by Bill Voelke » Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:00:00


Quote:>         I have to admit, for using 3D Studio *non-MAX* your modeling and
>         lighting is superb, to say the least.

Modeling organic meshes in 3D Studio 3 or 4 isn't THAT hard.  Animating
them is hell though, compare to Max or Softimage.

        Bill  http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/m597/john1939/bv.htm

 
 
 

Yet Another Web Page

Post by Bruce Har » Mon, 07 Apr 1997 05:00:00



> Now I chew you apart >BWA HA HA HA< :

I was expecting maybe "yeah it's O.K." or "It totally sucked" - probably the
latter.  But I do appreciate your lengthy critique - no really I do.
This was my first attempt at HTML & I guess it shows.
Back to the drawing board...

Quote:> People with 8 bit are having a hard time reading the gray on gray text.O.K. I'll have to fix that...
> I am having a hard time reading the gray on gray text. But then, I have my
> fonts set too small.
> I like a kinda page shaped web browser and some other parts of my screen to
> be useful, so mine is probably around 700x900 and the page looks pretty
> good. Of course, I am not seeing any of the pretty green text off to the
> right.

I had in mind that people looking at this page (involved with 3d graphics)
would usually have their screens set at 800x600 or 1024x768 at least???

Quote:> If I crunch my browser up, things get kinda crowded. If I crunch it up to
> the size that less than 40% of the population uses (an I work with half of
> them, ew) the horizontal "buttons" *up against the gallery "button".
> Maybe drop some space in there.Hmmmm.... I think I'll go for a more central layout
> Oh, you meant of the images.
> Wow, using 3DS-R3!

You may have the money to buy the latest stuff - I don't.
I'm only drawing buildings, not a sci-fi CD game requiring the latest
hollywood effects :)  I do hope to get some new stuff soon tho'... ie. MAX

Quote:> OK, I'm fishing here... famroom.jpg could use a bit wider penumbra on theWhew! - I thought it would never end - where's those razor blades ;)

Some of the images shown were done a couple of years ago & I agree that they
are not much chop.  But there is only so much stuff you want to give away.

Quote:

> I'm having trouble with the fine scale outdoor bump mapping, but that isn't
> really you so much as it is the state of rendering today. Haven't pinned
> down just what the trouble is. So this isn't really constructive, sorry.Yeah, some of my images need more work (like my HTML code).
> You might be able to get better lighting if you get a copy of Lightscape.Is it worth it?
> That's really all I can come up with on the constructive side. I have other
> comments, but nothing I can really back up. Most of the images looked real
> nice. Thanks for sharing.

A sincere thanks for the info, I'll give the page an overhaul.
Cheers...
*****************************

Brisbane, QLD Australia
* Computer Graphics
http://www.veryComputer.com/~bkhcg
 
 
 

1. Yet another web page design

http://www.primenet.com/~vanukoff/graphics/

Check it out. Done with PSP6. Still under construction of course, so there
is very little content, there is a bit under gallery. Comments?

--
__________________________________________________________________________

http://www.primenet.com/~vanukoff/      

disconnected from foreign server

2. AD: "I've always wanted an OXYGEN card!"

3. Yet another Web page full of images...

4. Batch Process URL Banner Placement? (Help!)

5. Yet another new web page

6. New Web Page with free web graphics

7. (Yet Another) New Raytracing Page

8. Advice on making images small yet clear on Pages

9. (YAWN) yet another 3d page