Heat distortions?

Post by GrimRepoMa » Wed, 19 May 1999 04:00:00

you can try particle systems with a blur filter applied (there is a free
one at boboland that you can assign to a material or object ID cannel).
Also, there is a plugin called Fractal Flow that apparently can do this
as well.

grim

> Hello
> I was wondering how to make heat distortions. Is there a way to do it
> without plugins that looks at least half decent or if not where can i get
> the specific plugin?

> Thanks in advance.

Heat distortions?

Post by Plagu » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

Hello
I was wondering how to make heat distortions. Is there a way to do it
without plugins that looks at least half decent or if not where can i get
the specific plugin?

Thanks in advance.

Heat distortions?

Post by Chri » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

I've had some pretty good (and relatively cheap) results with creating a
plane between you and the area effected, and creating a material with thin
wall refraction, and an animated noise bump map. It's not perfect, and you
have to do some manipulations to get it to look right from different angles,
but see if it's enough for you.

Chris S.

Quote:> Hello
> I was wondering how to make heat distortions. Is there a way to do it
> without plugins that looks at least half decent or if not where can i get
> the specific plugin?

> Thanks in advance.

Heat distortions?

Post by DAVE » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

*OR*

place a "refractive screen" (box with ref index) infront of your camera
and apply animated wave/noise/ripple modifiers to it. Tutorial in the
online help just on this...

1. Heat Distortion Effect

Hi,
I am trying to create a Heat Distortion Effect in 3D Studio Max 4, but
with no luck.
In the past Johny Ow had a freeware blur(or glow) plugin which could make
a heat distortion effect.
Does anyone know how to accomplish this without using Afterburn of such,
or is there another plugin I can use.

Lens Effects Glow does not seem the get the job done either.

thanks in advance.

2. animated blur

3. Anyone have any ideas for simulating heat distortion?

4. Ke pasa!

5. Best way: heat transfer mugs, T's

6. dithered colors - removed background

7. Note: Heat Shimmer

8. OpenGL for DOS

9. Heat shimmering

10. Pseudocoloring monochrome to a 'heat scale'

11. good colors for displaying heat?

12. Solar Heating Vis Packages?

13. Heat-related DVD problems? (PB G3 FW)