how to run 3DS under Win 95

Post by Henri Schomaecke » Sat, 11 May 1996 04:00:00

Hi there,
A friend of mine got a student version of 3DSr2 I think and got a new
computer from his Organisation, but it got win95 on it and he is not
allowed to change.
Please could someone explain step by step, how to install 3DS and set up
win95 for the use? - Many thanks from him in advance !!!

how to run 3DS under Win 95

Post by W3-Use » Wed, 15 May 1996 04:00:00

>Hi there,
>A friend of mine got a student version of 3DSr2 I think and got a new
>computer from his Organisation, but it got win95 on it and he is not
>allowed to change.
>Please could someone explain step by step, how to install 3DS and set up
>win95 for the use? - Many thanks from him in advance !!!

3DS Release 3 was the first version that could be used (?!) under Windows.
The only way to use 3DSr2 with Win95 is in exclusive DOS mode. You can switch
to it when starting the computer, or Win95 will do it for you when starting 3DS
from the GUI.

I.Starting in DOS mode

After the self-test there is a message "Starting Windows 95". Press F8 before
the Sky&Clouds-Logo appears. You will get a Start Menu listing all the options.
Look for the line reading " Command prompt only". If you have a network it will
be option 6, without a network it is 5. Press the number and you will see the
good old(new) DOS 7.0 starting.
Install 3DS as described in the Manuals.
To eventually start Win95 GUI, type WIN

II.Let Win95 switch to DOS.

You can install and start 3DS from the GUI. The installation will work like
under DOS. You can create a shortcut to 3DS.EXE. When you double-click it, you
will get the message that this program can be run only in exclusive DOS mode.
The shortcut will be set up to switch to DOS everytime you start 3DS, and will
reload the GUI when you exit it. You cannot switch tasks while in 3DS, but you
can quickly go back to the Win95 interface after leaving 3DS.

All this works with the Rel 3/4. I have never used R2 under Win95, so please
email me if it works.

Greetings,

3DJ Bobo

how to run 3DS under Win 95

Post by 3DJ Bob » Sat, 18 May 1996 04:00:00

>Hi there,
>A friend of mine got a student version of 3DSr2 I think and got a new
>computer from his Organisation, but it got win95 on it and he is not
>allowed to change.
>Please could someone explain step by step, how to install 3DS and set up
>win95 for the use? - Many thanks from him in advance !!!

In addition to my last email: I have installed the 3DSr2 to see what happens
under Win95. If you create a shortcut to 3DS.EXE, Windows restarts the whole
computer (warm reboot) and then says "Starting your DOS-based application."
After you quit 3DS, the computer gets restarted again :-(
If you create a shortcut to 3DSHELL.COM instead, it will just shut down the
GUI, start the program in DOS-mode, and after that will start the GUI again.

This is my experience with 3DSr2, actual behaviour may vary...

Hope this will help you.

--
3DJ Bobo
formerly known as W3-User

1. 3ds Max running on Win 95 ?

As most people use NT for 3d programs,  what would happen if I run MAX on
Win 95 ?  Frequent crashes ?  16 bit problem ?
Is NT seriously recommended for MAX ?
Please tell me about it.
I have both Win 95 and NT,  but mostly i just use Win 95.

Thanks in advance,

JZ

2. opengl high-level-library

3. Release 2 won't run under Win 95

4. raytracing lenses: fake?

5. LW 4.0 Final under Win 95 [was: A test: Win 95 vs Win 3.1]

6. is 6.5b stable ?

7. sgi software to run on WIN 95

8. ANNOUNCE: ART/CULTURE "Human-Generated"

9. Macromodel won't run in Windows 95 Build 347

10. Can 3D Studio MAX run on Win 95?

11. How to run 3dsr4 under win 95?

12. HELP, can't run 3DS4 under WIN '95