MAX slower with 128MB than 64MB!!!!

Post by Richard W Birk » Wed, 07 Jan 1998 04:00:00

How can this be?
I am using a P200MMX with 64 MB EDO RAM (60ns) and a FireGL 1000
graphics card.
When I render a complex scene with this set up, it takes about 9.37
minutes.  However, the same scene with 128MB Ram takes 11.51 minutes!

What is going wrong?

The P and V settings in the rendering info box suggest that MAX is
using only about 70 or 80 MB of the 128 MB RAM, and about 100-150MB
virtual RAM.  Having said this, using more ram, even though it is not
the full amount, should surely show an increase in performance.

I am using NT 4.0 with a brand new ASUS TX97-E motherboard, which
seems to work fine in all cases.  I have even overclocked my 200 to
250MHz to see if there is a change.  Running at 250MHz with 64MB RAM,
the same scene renders at 7.54 minutes.  With 128 MB, it takes 8.38
minutes.

What is going on?
In all situations at varying clock speeds, including "true" 200MHz,
working with 128MB renders slower than with 64MB.

If anybody could help, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
richard w birket

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

[remove RWB from e-mail if
replying]

MAX slower with 128MB than 64MB!!!!

Post by Jens Schliesse » Wed, 07 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

Thats a hardware problem not a max prob.

I think your problem is your motherboard. Your board has a tag-ram which
will
only cache 64MB (cache size is not important your board may have 512k).

You need an other tag ram ...
ask your local reseller...

            Bye

                J.S.

> How can this be?
> I am using a P200MMX with 64 MB EDO RAM (60ns) and a FireGL 1000
> graphics card.
> When I render a complex scene with this set up, it takes about 9.37
> minutes.  However, the same scene with 128MB Ram takes 11.51 minutes!

> What is going wrong?

> What is going on?
> In all situations at varying clock speeds, including "true" 200MHz,
> working with 128MB renders slower than with 64MB.

> If anybody could help, it would be very much appreciated.

MAX slower with 128MB than 64MB!!!!

Post by K » Wed, 07 Jan 1998 04:00:00

The ASUS TX-97 is your problem.  The Intel TX chipset is only capable
of caching 64MB of memory.  You will see a slight decrease in
performance with more than 64MB or RAM.

Pentium Pro and Pentium II systems do not have this limitation.

hope that helps
-Kn