destroying parts of mesh in animation

Post by Jaso » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi, I'm creating an animation with a scene that consists of a giant mech
and human character.  In the scene the character takes out his guns and
blows the mech to pieces.  What I need to know is, what is the best
method to create the effect of part of a mesh being blown apart from the
mech.  For example, in one part the character shoots the mech in the
knee joint and disables the mech and the effect that I want on screen is
to show that a chunck of metal has been taken out of the knee and the
inner workings(texture map) can be seen.  I am learining max at the
moment and this is the first time I've come across this situation, can
anyone help me please, it would be much appreciated.

destroying parts of mesh in animation

Post by laVey0 » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

one of the ways you can blow up any object is with Bomb. Put the bomb
effector into the knee and link it (look in the online manual for a detailed
description) Another way to do this is with particle system, being the
emitter the knee and the particles its pieces.

Quote:>Hi, I'm creating an animation with a scene that consists of a giant mech

Post by Richard Chee » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Hi, I'm creating an animation with a scene that consists of a giant mech
> and human character.  In the scene the character takes out his guns and
> blows the mech to pieces.  What I need to know is, what is the best
> method to create the effect of part of a mesh being blown apart from the
> mech.  For example, in one part the character shoots the mech in the
> knee joint and disables the mech and the effect that I want on screen is
> to show that a chunck of metal has been taken out of the knee and the
> inner workings(texture map) can be seen.  I am learining max at the
> moment and this is the first time I've come across this situation, can
> anyone help me please, it would be much appreciated.

        Bomb and particles as mentioned in a post above are a good way to go,
but here's a addition to the answer. Make a copy of the mesh and alter
the knee to what you want after it's been blown away. When your mech
gets shot, hide him and unhide the second version. You can hide this
switch with the bomb or particles or what ever effect you want to use,
but when this clears you'll have a better hole in his knee looking
exactly like you want it.

        Richard

--
-----------Richard  Cheek-----------
 *  Digital Art & Animation

destroying parts of mesh in animation

Post by Damian Stewart's New » Sat, 22 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Bomb and particles as mentioned in a post above are a good way to go,
>but here's a addition to the answer. Make a copy of the mesh and alter
>the knee to what you want after it's been blown away. When your mech
>gets shot, hide him and unhide the second version. You can hide this
>switch with the bomb or particles or what ever effect you want to use,
>but when this clears you'll have a better hole in his knee looking
>exactly like you want it.

You shouldn't need to hide the switch like that. As long as the
pose/size/orientation of both models is the same at the switch frame, it
should be seamless...

1. Character Animation: Single mesh or seperated body parts?

I'm going to write a 3d-engine with character animation using OpenGL, but
I'm not sure if I should make chars with a single mesh or animate them
with several body parts that are connected with "interpolation parts".
I would be happy if I could include vertex weighting to, for making the
characters more realistic.
I presume there will be 3 to 5 characters in a scene, which way do you
think is the best to do?
Which way uses most of the performance improve of T&L, and what are the
advantages and the drawbacks of each method?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Christian

2. Use filename with "&" in RiOption?

3. Solved: No or destroyed mesh on GeForce2

4. Displaying icons with 32-bit colors - transparency problem

5. No or destroyed mesh on GeForce2 - sequel :)

6. MAX Mapping Problem

7. No or destroyed mesh on GeForce2

8. Stary background?

9. REQ: 3DS meshes of skeleton parts and samurai armor

10. LinkedXForm for parts o mesh?

11. REQ: Urgent required Meshes of Pc Components/Parts,

12. Dividing 3d mesh to convex parts

13. mesh parts