Running Max with AMD processors.

Post by Piotr Dubie » Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Anyone running Max with AMD chips? I was considering buying a dual PII
system, but after reading about the K7 chips, I'd like to hold out for those
and in the meantime do an interim upgrade to a K6-2 350. My question is,
will Max run OK with AMD chips?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks,

Piotr

Running Max with AMD processors.

Post by Smegg » Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Max seems to be optimized for PII's, any particular reason for wanting an
AMD?

--

Smeggy
Better Smeg than dead :]

For Tutorials, Plugins, Scripts, Maps and Meshes....follow the links below.

http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/

>Anyone running Max with AMD chips? I was considering buying a dual PII
>system, but after reading about the K7 chips, I'd like to hold out for
those
>and in the meantime do an interim upgrade to a K6-2 350. My question is,
>will Max run OK with AMD chips?

>Any info appreciated.

>Thanks,

>Piotr

Running Max with AMD processors.

Post by Piotr Dubie » Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>Max seems to be optimized for PII's, any particular reason for wanting an
>AMD?

Because I want to do an interim upgrade to a K6II-350 before buying a
two-processor system in the spring. And from what I've been reading on the
upcoming K7 chips, I wouldn't mind two of those. I find Intel chips to be
overpriced for what you get, and was investigating my alternatives. After
all, if I can get equivalent performance and have enough money left over for
a nice Wacom tablet, why not? And from what I can gather, the K7 shouldn't
have the FPU problems that most of the non-Intel chips now have.

Cheers,

Piotr

Running Max with AMD processors.

Post by Joe Dunniga » Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I am running an AMD 266 right now, and I do not recommend it.  AMD
processors handle floating point operations very poorly, so I get illegal
operations all the time.  Also, I cannot render animations easily, because I
cannot render more than a couple frames before it locks up.  I recommend the
Pentium.

>Anyone running Max with AMD chips? I was considering buying a dual PII
>system, but after reading about the K7 chips, I'd like to hold out for
those
>and in the meantime do an interim upgrade to a K6-2 350. My question is,
>will Max run OK with AMD chips?

>Any info appreciated.

>Thanks,

>Piotr

Running Max with AMD processors.

Post by dbrace » Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Get a Celeron 300A. About equivalent performance to a P2 300 for much less.

...and don't forget the overclockability of these chips (drool). AMD's suck
BIGTIME in max.

Just check this graph out and you'll know what I mean! Even a measily Cleron 266
with no cache kicks the AMD K6-2 350's ass (believe it's cheaper too)

 http://www.tomshardware.com/releases/98q3/980824/index3.html

--
Please remove NO_SPAM from my e-mail address to reply. Thank You.

Running Max with AMD processors.

Post by AntiSpamwm.. » Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:00:00

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998 12:44:31 -0500, "Piotr Dubiel"

>Anyone running Max with AMD chips? I was considering buying a dual PII
>system, but after reading about the K7 chips, I'd like to hold out for those
>and in the meantime do an interim upgrade to a K6-2 350. My question is,
>will Max run OK with AMD chips?

>Any info appreciated.

>Thanks,

>Piotr

never buy amd only buy PII

Http://www.kosmic.org
Kosmic Free Music Foundation
Please remove 'AntiSpam' from address before sending

Running Max with AMD processors.

Post by Martin Stephenso » Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Although the AMD chip doesn't handle floating point as well I'd be surprised
if it was the cause of your lock ups to be honest.

My friend runs Max on an AMD 233 and although it takes a little longer to
render he has no problems even using complex plugins like character studio
or releft/refract maps.

>I am running an AMD 266 right now, and I do not recommend it.  AMD
>processors handle floating point operations very poorly, so I get illegal
>operations all the time.  Also, I cannot render animations easily, because
>cannot render more than a couple frames before it locks up.  I recommend
the
>Pentium.

>>Anyone running Max with AMD chips? I was considering buying a dual PII
>>system, but after reading about the K7 chips, I'd like to hold out for
>those
>>and in the meantime do an interim upgrade to a K6-2 350. My question is,
>>will Max run OK with AMD chips?

>>Any info appreciated.

>>Thanks,

>>Piotr

Running Max with AMD processors.

Post by Tick » Fri, 23 Oct 1998 04:00:00

There's an excellent article on (the famous) Tom's Hardware Page regarding
AMD processors, in particular the upcoming K7.  It will supposedly beat a
PII, possibly even the upcoming Katmai's, of identical clock speed.  And of
course be cheaper.   Whether that'll help us, when Max is optimized for
intel chips, I don't know.

Check out the article at:
http://www.tomshardware.com/

cheers,