I USED MY 3DS TO SIMULATE THE BIG BANG!

Post by Ami Rod » Mon, 04 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Now that I've got your attention how about telling me how to assign a material to an object in 3ds so
that the "front" (where you see the texture) is on every face of that object.
when I try to do it I only get the textured face on one side of the object. and the rest looks ugly :(

I USED MY 3DS TO SIMULATE THE BIG BANG!

Post by Abraham Lewi » Tue, 05 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Use boxmapping.  SURFACE/MATERIAL/BOX.  This will allow you to assign up
to 6 different materials from the six cardianl directions.  They can all
be the same, different or mixed.  They do not show through on the other side.
Your object does not have to be a box.

  Abraham K. Lewis
  Jupiter, Florida

Post by Brian DeMet » Tue, 05 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:Rodan) writes:

>Now that I've got your attention how about telling me how to assign a

material to an object in 3ds so
Quote:>that the "front" (where you see the texture) is on every face of that
object.
>when I try to do it I only get the textured face on one side of the

object. and the rest looks ugly :(

Try using "facemap" in the materials editor (I think)---and secondly,
it's not nice to fake us out with misleading subject headings.  You'd
get more help being honest and posting your question.

Post by CD Murra » Fri, 08 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>Now that I've got your attention how about telling me how to assign a material to an object in 3ds so
>that the "front" (where you see the texture) is on every face of that object.
>when I try to do it I only get the textured face on one side of the object. and the rest looks ugly :(

Well - there are several ways to accomplish the mapping that you desire.
Do you possess the tutorials that come with the software? In there you
will find out about the different types of mapping that 3DS allows. Aquick
fix would be to select the faces on each side and detach them using
create/face/detach, then applying the mapping to each newly created object
with the mapping properly oriented. By the way, unless your object is is
the simplest 3d object possible (4 Faces), your mapping is passing through
the object. It appears that your map is properly applied only to one side
but in actuality, your mapping passed through the object, and , if you
could see that opposite side ( use a mirrored face on the other side ),
you would see that mapping of the planar type you are clearly using,
extrudes itself completely through an object. Hope you can figure it out!
Later

I USED MY 3DS TO SIMULATE THE BIG BANG!

Post by Joseph Obernberg » Wed, 13 Sep 1995 04:00:00

says...
Quote:

>Now that I've got your attention how about telling me how to assign a

material to an object in 3ds so
Quote:>that the "front" (where you see the texture) is on every face of that
object.
>when I try to do it I only get the textured face on one side of the

object. and the rest looks ugly :(

You can use a feature called box.  Under surface/material/box...
You assign a material to 6 faces.  However you can use this feature for
things that are not necessarily a box, like letters etc.
Hope this helps....

P.S.  If you have any other questions feel free to email me at

Later...

1. Shadow Maps Big Bang Bug !!!

Was anybody ever able to create an animation using shadow-maps in LW ? I
just tried to render an animation using both LW 5.0m and 5.0z and it
crashes after rendering only a few frames. Oh, by the way, this scene is
extremelly light with only 2000 polygons and 3 shadow-mapped light
sources. Removing shadow-maps make LightWave extremelly stable. What is
it ? Anybody noticed something about this or someworkaround ? NewTek is
keeping tight-lips on this.

Jean-Eric
--
Vido SEP

Site web (Fran?ais) : http://www.odyssee.net/~videosep/
Web site (English) : http://www.odyssee.net/~videosep/English.html

1676, Sherbrooke Est, #7
Montreal (Qubec)
H2L 1M5

(514) 527-0816

2. Newbie question: how do I get colors on screen to match printed colors?

3. Simulating the sun streaming in a big window.

4. Green Line!

5. 3DS: How do I simulate building fire?

6. Waddda ya like 'n Digitalizer Pads?

7. BIG BIG BIG problem in MAX

8. International Conference SETIT2004 in Tunisia

9. Simulated Flocking and Swarming using Hash's Animation Master

10. IPAS to Simulate Heat Transfer using Color ?

11. Simulating water using a particle system

12. simulating mass-spring systems using parallel computing

13. Using microgeometry for simulated BRDF measurements.