16MB STB NVIDIA TNT graphics card

Post by Turi Altavill » Sun, 04 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Anyone have any opinions on the 16MB STB NVIDIA TNT graphics card?

I am thinking of getting it for Max.

Thanks,
Turi

Post by Chamad » Sun, 04 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>Anyone have any opinions on the 16MB STB NVIDIA TNT graphics card?

>I am thinking of getting it for Max.

I have that card in the AGP version.
All I can say is that it is a good card for Max if you are
not dealing with complex objects because I find the software
renderer faster in that case, but that's a problem with many
cards. The makers of this card show cubes, spheres and
are telling how fast it is but they never show a complex
NURBS surface and make you realize that the software renderer
is a lot faster.
I would say that the software renderer is faster after 20,000 polys.

P.S. the card rocks in 3D games.

--
http://www.chaosimg.com

16MB STB NVIDIA TNT graphics card

Post by trblu » Mon, 05 Oct 1998 04:00:00

i have been quite happy with mine, it came with 95 and nt drivers it has
extremely high resolution (1920x1600) at true color and it was cheap ($200
us), it supports opengl and d3d display for max which both seem to work,
i've been using the d3d because it seems to run faster than the opengl.

for the price i couldn't beat it

good luck

Thomas Blue
3D Studio MAX Instructor at V.C.

web presence: http://www.ro.com/~trblue

Quote:>Anyone have any opinions on the 16MB STB NVIDIA TNT graphics card?

>I am thinking of getting it for Max.

>Thanks,
>Turi

16MB STB NVIDIA TNT graphics card

Post by Pobste » Tue, 06 Oct 1998 04:00:00

www.fastgraphics.com is doing a round up of opengl cards, big ones and small ones...
one of his early findings was that the TNT chipset (on the Viper 550) was outstanding at low poly
benchmarks like Fogcity but was outperformed by the getting-on-a-bit Permedia2 once the scene
became "complex".

He hasn't finished his benchmarks yet, but go to  http://www.fastgraphics.com/rev-opengl.html  for a peep.

pob.

Quote:> Anyone have any opinions on the 16MB STB NVIDIA TNT graphics card?

> I am thinking of getting it for Max.

16MB STB NVIDIA TNT graphics card

Post by Turi Altavill » Tue, 06 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I'd like to thank everyone for their help with the nvidia 16mb TNT.

This gives me a couple more questions---

It only makes sense that the card should have NT drivers, especially if one is
going to use Max.  However, at Dell's web page, where I am looking to possibly
buy a computer, it states that if I choose that video card, I cannot choose NT
as my OS.  I don't know, whatever!  I was hoping to see if I could get Win98
and NT both installed, depending on what I was doing with the computer.

Also, I do enjoy indulging in the evil art of game playing.  The nVidia is
incompatible with alot of big 3d games that need 3dfx (like Jedi Knight and
alot of EA games).  Apparently Nvidia says they will come out with patches or
whatever for 3d modes for these games, but I never trust things like this. By
the time they do, I won't want to play the games anymore.  Anyhow, my question
is--can I get a voodoo or voodoo2 pci accelerator and would this cause any
conflicts?  I've never used accelerators, I've only had one voodoo 2d/3d card
in the past.  The Lucas Arts page said with the Nvidia card you could only
play in 2d mode.

Thanks again everyone for helping out and being patient,
Turi

> i have been quite happy with mine, it came with 95 and nt drivers it has
> extremely high resolution (1920x1600) at true color and it was cheap ($200
> us), it supports opengl and d3d display for max which both seem to work,
> i've been using the d3d because it seems to run faster than the opengl.

> for the price i couldn't beat it

> good luck

> Thomas Blue
> 3D Studio MAX Instructor at V.C.

> web presence: http://www.ro.com/~trblue

> >Anyone have any opinions on the 16MB STB NVIDIA TNT graphics card?

> >I am thinking of getting it for Max.

> >Thanks,
> >Turi

16MB STB NVIDIA TNT graphics card

Post by Jean van Geme » Wed, 07 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Also, I do enjoy indulging in the evil art of game playing.  The nVidia is
>incompatible with alot of big 3d games that need 3dfx (like Jedi Knight and
>alot of EA games).

No, most "big" games come with D3D support nowadays (including Jedi
Knight which runs just fine at 1280x1024 on my TNT). The latest crop of
EA games has D3D support too (e.g. NFS3) and runs great on a TNT.

Quote:>is--can I get a voodoo or voodoo2 pci accelerator and would this cause any
>conflicts?  I've never used accelerators, I've only had one voodoo 2d/3d card
>in the past.  The Lucas Arts page said with the Nvidia card you could only
>play in 2d mode.

If the page says that it needs updating. :)

Yes, you can use a V2, but why would you when the TNT is at least as fast
and has much better image quality?