punching multiple holes into an object

Post by Callum Mackendric » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 11:14:43

I generally use Boolean >subtract (A-B) to produce a compound object when I
want it to have a hole in it, but if that object has many holes, like. . .a
spaghetti strainer, or . . a computer fan (triangular slots), then I notice
that after applying the 2nd and 3rd holes, etc. that these subsequent holes
have no thickness to them.  That is, the edges are not being capped,
although the first hole always works the way I expect.

Is there a better way to render an object with many pieces cut out of it? or
is there a setting I should use during a Boolean subtract operation on an
object that is already a compound object?

punching multiple holes into an object

Post by Max » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 11:42:28

trying attach mesh on your holes objects to make
them one single mesh object,

then apply your boolean subtraction.
in this case, you will only perform the subtraction ONCE,
which will give you more predictable results.

i have also found that increasing the poly count of the
"A" object (as in A-B) gives better results too.

Quote:> I generally use Boolean >subtract (A-B) to produce a compound object when
> want it to have a hole in it, but if that object has many holes, like. .
.a
> spaghetti strainer, or . . a computer fan (triangular slots), then I
notice
> that after applying the 2nd and 3rd holes, etc. that these subsequent
holes
> have no thickness to them.  That is, the edges are not being capped,
> although the first hole always works the way I expect.

> Is there a better way to render an object with many pieces cut out of it?
or
> is there a setting I should use during a Boolean subtract operation on an
> object that is already a compound object?

> Thanks,

punching multiple holes into an object

Post by Nik » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 15:14:35

Try power booleans its an excellent plugin for doind just what you need to
do but creates really neat meshes during the operation.

Nik

> trying attach mesh on your holes objects to make
> them one single mesh object,

> then apply your boolean subtraction.
> in this case, you will only perform the subtraction ONCE,
> which will give you more predictable results.

> i have also found that increasing the poly count of the
> "A" object (as in A-B) gives better results too.

> > I generally use Boolean >subtract (A-B) to produce a compound object
when
> > want it to have a hole in it, but if that object has many holes, like. .
> .a
> > spaghetti strainer, or . . a computer fan (triangular slots), then I
> notice
> > that after applying the 2nd and 3rd holes, etc. that these subsequent
> holes
> > have no thickness to them.  That is, the edges are not being capped,
> > although the first hole always works the way I expect.

> > Is there a better way to render an object with many pieces cut out of
it?
> or
> > is there a setting I should use during a Boolean subtract operation on
an
> > object that is already a compound object?

> > Thanks,

punching multiple holes into an object

Post by Conny Klasso » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 15:49:45

Check out this boolean tutorial:

http://pp.kpnet.fi/3DMe/tutorials/tutorial02_booleans/max_booleans.htm

Conny

Post by Darrel Hoffma » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 23:18:58

Quote:> I generally use Boolean >subtract (A-B) to produce a compound object when
> want it to have a hole in it, but if that object has many holes, like. .
.a
> spaghetti strainer, or . . a computer fan (triangular slots), then I
notice
> that after applying the 2nd and 3rd holes, etc. that these subsequent
holes
> have no thickness to them.  That is, the edges are not being capped,
> although the first hole always works the way I expect.

> Is there a better way to render an object with many pieces cut out of it?
or
> is there a setting I should use during a Boolean subtract operation on an
> object that is already a compound object?

Make sure you're working with a closed mesh.  To check this, go in to edge
selection mode and click "Select Open Edges".  If there are any, figure out
why, and fix it.  Boolean doesn't work very well with non-solid objects.
Also, it helps to clean up the mesh in other ways as well.  Isolated
vertices, sliver faces, poorly turned edges, double-sided faces, bunched up
vertices that are so close they should be collapsed, all of these can*
up the Boolean algorithm.  Keep it clean, and you should have less trouble.

punching multiple holes into an object

Post by javeli » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 02:23:17

Not totally sure if this would help either, but in the case of the
strainer, wouldn't it be easier to use an opacity map on the section
with the holes?  Or is there some reason you want the holes to be a
mesh?

Javelin

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 02:14:43 GMT, "Callum Mackendrick"

Post by Martin Powel » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 19:59:40

Quote:> I generally use Boolean >subtract (A-B) to produce a compound object when
> want it to have a hole in it, but if that object has many holes, like. .
.a
> spaghetti strainer, or . . a computer fan (triangular slots), then I
notice
> that after applying the 2nd and 3rd holes, etc. that these subsequent
holes
> have no thickness to them.  That is, the edges are not being capped,
> although the first hole always works the way I expect.

> Is there a better way to render an object with many pieces cut out of it?
or
> is there a setting I should use during a Boolean subtract operation on an
> object that is already a compound object?

> Thanks,

Another method I use, is to collapse the stack to an editable mesh after
each and every Boolean.

Martin

1. Punching Holes in NURB Objects?

Hi 'Wavers,

I was looking through an old LightROM CD and came across a MetaNURB scorpion
object. Along it's sides were holes where the legs attached and from the
un-NURBED object it looks like these were made by a Subtract Boolean
operation.

Is it possible to subtract from a NURB cage object using a boolean operation
whilst maintaining the requirement of quad sided polys?

Any help or tips are appreciated.

Steve Britton
Fortify Designs

2. Atlanta Alias meeting???

3. Fill punch holes from scan with CS?

4. How to pick vertices for multires with maxscript?

5. punching holes in a polygon

6. vaxis_rotate problem -- POV3

7. finding a used registration hole punch

8. Q: Camera Tied to a Tracker...

9. "punching a hole" in an image

10. Punching holes!

11. Multiple vertex selection across multiple objects in MAX?

12. Multiple objects and multiple widgets

13. multiple objects grouped to one object